AS member OTG grilled by media

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first few pics you see are of an unfinished tree. those "lion tailed" branches were supposed to come off to get the clearances..

300h.jpg

This is an unfinished tree? It was the only pic I could find on a google search.

Though i would agree that A. plantanoides is not usually a good choice for a narrow city strip. Kinda hard to meet clearance spec and look A300.

BTW what is the roadside height standard there?

average height 14ft over road 11 over sidewalk and 5-10 from house and some type of wire clearance..... the tree in question(in pic) was pruned previously by homeowner so we werent left with much the limb on the right was going to be completely taken off but the lady came out screaming and we stopped, so it looks lion tailed

sorry DMC i think i got a little defensive... lol this east boston pruning contract has been stressful with the news coverage trying to slam us

Thanks OTG and Irish93 for your replies. The homeowners will be thanking you in 3-4 years (silently, of course, no media calls) when these trees are back on track, growing well and there's plenty of clearance as well.

hope it all works out.

sorry DMC i think i got a little defensive... lol this east boston pruning contract has been stressful with the news coverage trying to slam us

sounds like a rough gig but be glad you have work.

stay safe.

Thanks OTG and Irish93 for your replies. The homeowners will be thanking you in 3-4 years (silently, of course, no media calls) when these trees are back on track, growing well and there's plenty of clearance as well.

Three years from now Greg should call for a review by the paper.

Good idea, but expecting the paper to write it may not work--no emotional heat = not enough newsiness.
This would have to be done by one of the arborists, one who takes a little time to document response with pics and measurements. Heck, TCI mag would probably grab it, and pay for it..;)

Last edited:
I got a call from a resident yesterday. She had called me a few weeks before to tell me that she would be chained to the tree the day we were going to prune it...."that seems reasonable" I replied...

anyway she goes on to tell me that she was insulted by my comment that "to the untrained eye it looks bad". I told her, since she brought it up, that I am extremely insulted by laypersons like herself trying to tell me how to do my job when I have dedicated my career to the art and science of arboriculture. She claimed to be one of hundreds who were upset (She is one of 6 who have complained and actually tried to start a hate e-mail campaign that died almost instantly) Then I explained that we are undertaking another project, on a smaller scale, in another neighborhood, which the neighborhood association has been BEGGING for. Some people are just nutz :dizzy:

I just might have to do that. Of course I am expecting to see a decline in emergency calls, and pruning calls from this neighborhood which will be easy enough to prove based on requests made.

I will definately take some pics Guy, and pics of what happens when residents of this particular part of the city take pruning matters into their own hands....we are documenting everything so as not to get blamed for the topping and rip cuts made by residents.

...and pics of what happens when residents of this particular part of the city take pruning matters into their own hands....we are documenting everything so as not to get blamed for the topping and rip cuts made by residents.

All you need to do is turn the "anti-pruning chain myself to a tree" neighbors loose on the "city trees are dirty cut them down" neighbors and your problems will be solved!
-moss

I just might have to do that. Of course I am expecting to see a decline in emergency calls, and pruning calls from this neighborhood which will be easy enough to prove based on requests made.

Here in Milwaukee we have what is suposed to be one of the best UF programs in the country. But I always see bad pruning because they do not have a true maintinance program, it is more like remove the limb when it gets in the way program; with proper collar cuts though.

I would like to see a comprehensive and thoughtfull program that deals with subordination of low limbs so that they might not grow to 8 inches before removal is needed.

Latest posts

Back