ascending rope rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not bad at all Surveyor, I like it. Are you going to be able to shrink it down a bit? Or is there a reason it needs to be that long due to adequate rope surface area grip?

jomoco

The spine could be shorter, but the rack part works well with the six inch arrangement, I may be able to shrink it to a 4 inch rack, but that would be about the limit, however it should last because the friction points are the steel pins of the chain links.

Last edited:
The spine could be shorter, but the rack part works best with the six inch arrangment, however it should last because the friction points are the steel pins of the chain links.

That's an excellent point to emphasize Surveyor, cuz my ropes eat my aluminum crabs for lunch if I speedline with them instead of steel.

Have you tried to tear your rope rack apart with a drop test yet?

Maybe a sandbag or two, just to locate the weak links in the system?

jomoco

I have not drop tested it. You could probably run a safer test than me. If you would like to test it, I could send it to you for your criticism and/or torture test.

Come on Surveyor, if you're smart enough to fabricate that nifty rope rack device, then you're certainly smart enough to test it safely at home.

I've got prototypes to test coming out of my ears!

My next vid will show me doing a bit of class 1 pruning using my new counterweighted climbing system, complete with pneumatic loppers and chainsaw.

I'll be using a large steel nitrogen tank and regulator both as my counterweight, and to power my pneumatic tools. Just happens to weigh a handy 125 lbs. Protecting the regulator is my current challenge to overcome.

I like your rope rack design Surveyor, the simpler the better. When you have one ready to sell let me know.

jomoco

Come on Surveyor, if you're smart enough to fabricate that nifty rope rack device, then you're certainly smart enough to test it safely at home.

I've got prototypes to test coming out of my ears!

My next vid will show me doing a bit of class 1 pruning using my new counterweighted climbing system, complete with pneumatic loppers and chainsaw.

I'll be using a large steel nitrogen tank and regulator both as my counterweight, and to power my pneumatic tools. Just happens to weigh a handy 125 lbs. Protecting the regulator is my current challenge to overcome.

I like your rope rack design Surveyor, the simpler the better. When you have one ready to sell let me know.

jomoco

And will somebody grease up that dam cat!

Perhaps I will try to contact him, do you have a link to a picture of his device?

I have taken Jomoco's advice, and am in the process of making (and ultimately testing) a more compact model of the same design as shown in my video. the advantage is the wear surfaces are high quality roller chainlink steel, and can be easily replaced if necessary.

Morgan Thompson unveiled the Unicender over six years ago at the TCIA Expo in Long Beach, CA. Now, Rock Exotica is making the Unicender and Sherrill is selling the Unicender.

For the past six years all that I've climbed on is the Unicender.

http://thompsontreetools.com/

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Mechanical-Tails/Unicender-with-Tether-and-Prusik

On Morgan's site you can see a drop test that he did with some HUGE rocks. Morgan has also done destructive testing of his version and it is plenty strong.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response and links. The unicender is a brilliant design, they should make a titanium model for that price.

Well there yu go Surveyor!

All yu gotta do now is perfect your design and sell it for $149.95.

They'll sell like hotcakes!

I'll be your first buyer Surveyor!

jomoco

Do you have pictures of how the tool goes on the rope?

It looks like the rope has to be threaded. If so, this is a real limitation.

It's interesting to see how you've modified the Unicender concept.

It attaches to the rope just as shown in the video, but with a pulley attached to the top of the spine, and a double pulley at the tree, there are two tail ropes (one on each side of the spine) the racks act independent of each other. since they cinch in only one direction, the device ascends if either/or both tail ropes are pulled through the rack (with a two to one mechanical advantage). It descends in the same manner as the one sided rack, by pulling on either/or both of the top release handles (there should be a knot at the end of either tail rope so the line doesn't run off the rack)

Just remember to grease the pulleys before posting video!

Are you going to buy a proper harness? A bowson's seat may be ok for chipping paint on ships or working in other industries but not arb work.

Do you have a still picture of the side view with the rope rounted through the links? I'm trying to understand how the linkage works to slide/grab.

What is the advantage of the double rope unit?

How does it work on wet ropes?

What diameter ropes is it designed for?

Using the Unicender in DdRT mode hampers the full use of the tool. Why spend so much for a DdRT tool when a well tuned hitch/slacktender system does the same job with less cost and complication?

If I was making a living at it, I would buy a harness, but for now the sling will have to do.
I have dissembled the device to try and make a rope jack device for SRT (based on a tirvit). It may be awhile but I will try to make another picture for you at some point.
This device is mostly for fun as a proof of concept, but the benefit would be that a man (or two men) pulling the tail rope(s) from the ground can assist with the ascent.
the spine is 1/2 inch thick, and it is designed for my 1/2" rope, I have not tried any other size rope. As you see the rack pieces alternate so that it can be attached at any point on the rope. I have used it on a very wet rope and it does still work fine. It squeezes the water out (onto the climber)on the descent.
The unicender is supreme. I have made two (for myself only) to see how it works. I will say that my rack device advances just as smoothly and could be used also on SRT

Latest posts

Back