ash usage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atvdave

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been battling the flow of ants into my house over the last few years. I have used the granular type of ant & insect barrier around the house but with little success.

I was thinking of maybe spreading some burnt ash from my insert around the house as a barrier to prevent ant's from getting into my house.

Has anyone tried this? did it work?

Dave

Couldn't hurt to try. I know wood ash is effective at eliminating other types of insects. Not sure about ants.

Would you have any use for chickens? They'll take care of them for ya.

Save your ash to make lye soap!

As far as ants go, nothing I've found beats this concoction. You can get Boric Acid at your local pharmacy. You put it out for a couple weeks and its a lot less toxic than the chemicals you would use. Doesn't mean you want to leave it where pets/children can get at it though:
half cup water
one cup sugar
one tablespoons boric acid.
Heat water and sugar to a syrup and stir in boric acid. Place in
yogurt lids or similar around where you see ants.
Colony should be killed off in 10-14 days

Save your ash to make lye soap!

As far as ants go, nothing I've found beats this concoction. You can get Boric Acid at your local pharmacy. You put it out for a couple weeks and its a lot less toxic than the chemicals you would use. Doesn't mean you want to leave it where pets/children can get at it though:
half cup water
one cup sugar
one tablespoons boric acid.
Heat water and sugar to a syrup and stir in boric acid. Place in
yogurt lids or similar around where you see ants.
Colony should be killed off in 10-14 days

Does this mix attract the ants? Will this work on the big black ants that come from inside the wood I've cut? Sorry, but I don't know the name of thes ants.

Former exterminator here. If they are little ants, commonly known as grease ants, sugar ants, pavement ants, etc., they are more of a PITA than anything else. The sugar and boric acid combo will work well. If you have little kids or pets around, I would use a bait station to prevent accidental poisoning. You do NOT want to get an eye or nose full of boric acid. I like the Bayer Maxforce ant bait stations.

For general perimeter insect control, spray the ouside of your foundation with a good liquid insecticide. Someone mentioned Demon or Tempo. Both of those are excellent. Try to not use a straight pyrethrin, as these do not stick around very long. They generally last for a week or two on surfaces, then don't work no mo.

If you have Big Black Ants, aka Carpenter Ants, I recomend you call an exterminator. Trust me, you don't wanna mess around with those. They will literally eat your house out from under you. You can kill them with the bait stations, but I strongly recomend you call in a pro. Doesn't matter what kind of wood is in your house either. I killed a nest inside of a cedar tree, found a BIG one in a pressure treated 8x8 deck footing column. Yes, they found the hard way that they had a carpenter ant nest in their deck, after it collapsed.

Oh yeah. To answer the original post, I have never heard of anybody using ash as an insect deterrant. Good potassium source for plants, cheap and effective for icy walkways, but doubt if it will work on bugs.

Back