ASV vs. Bobcat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabLuvR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I demoed both yesterday. The T300 and the ASV 100. Quite surprised in what I found. I went in thinking I would really like the ASV and instead found myself liking the Bobcat better. I guess the main thing that separated the two for me was the ease of service on the BobCat. All the filters were very acccessible compared to the ASV. Overall thought I just liked the Bobcat better and with the significant cost difference was really surprised at how much the Bobcat seemed like the better machine. What was I missing or was I? I'll be running a muclhing head if that matters any. Thanks!

the fellow that digs my foundations, had an asv sold it and bought a cat, i think the asv motor is a cat, or they are in partnership, something like that. i would think if your going to run through the bush you may want steel tracks not the rubber ones. i havn't had any bobcat tracked out yet so i guess i can't help you choose.

I have owned a T 200 for 4 years and love it. we use it for lot clearing and run an ambusher mower head. Can't go wrong with it.

i used to work at a local ASV dealer, what a pain in the rear! it takes 1/2 a day to change a battery (at least it used to) and to change a hydraulic pump you had to remove the hyd. oil tank as the pump was located inside the tank. They are nice machines as far as the operator goes, but if you will be servicing it your self, go with the bobcat.

we own 2 t300 and have owned asv in the past...with ASV undercarriage issues we are glad to own bobcats...we are now also turning to the cat 268 with the loegring undercarriage...and they are great check them out before you buy...great machines and plenty of high flow power for all the accessories..mowers etc..

ASV problems

At work we have had two ASV's for several years now.
Breakdowns and maintenance have been a real eye opener.

As I understand it Cat bought them out. They have gotten better but all of us would still recommend against. If we only had that to do over again.

Although this will not help most reading this, another piece of equipment that we use a lot of is a John Deere tractor. These are so dependable, our first was made in West Germany and we recently ordered a second, not sure of its place of manufacturer. Strictly A+. Just fabulous.

Of course our DH6C, (high track dozer - enclosed cab), has been B+ to A-.

I should point out that we put our gear through a lot.

Thanks for the replies guys! I really did not expect the Bobcat to impress me over the ASV, but it did in a lot of ways. For the price difference alone I would have to say the Bobcat won hands down. I intend to demo a Cat in the near future as well. Thanks once again, I really thought I was overlooking something.

Bobcat undercarriage has far fewer moving parts and is more rugged than the complex ASV system. The Cats run the ASV undercarriage so no luck there. Get yourself a T-300 with the hand controls, high flow, a/c and enclosed cab. Use the money you saved over the ASV to armor the beast up.
Lots of used T-300's on the market right now, many with low hours. I'm not big on taking a brand new machine into the woods.

atlas1 said:
we own 2 t300 and have owned asv in the past...with ASV undercarriage issues we are glad to own bobcats...we are now also turning to the cat 268 with the loegring undercarriage...and they are great check them out before you buy...great machines and plenty of high flow power for all the accessories..mowers etc..

I also used to work at a Komatsu dealer, when komatsu came out with their new line of skidsteers everyone wanted to know when a tracked machine would be coming. At that time Komatsu had no answer, however the fine sales reps at loegring stoped by told us about their aftermarket track systems to convert a non-track machine into a tracked machine. JUNK! you unbolt the wheels and bolt on this frame/track system. If the machine didn't come with tracks it wasn't ment to have tracks. They steer very hard, ride very rough, jerk and shake like an earthquake and put alot of pressure on the drive axel shaft bearings, prematurely wear the seals, and reduce the travel power of the machine. The Komatsu SK1020T that we had one of these track systems on traveled considerably slower and seemed to lack power(couldn't push as much).

I strongly reccomend not going with any machine that is equiped with loegring track system on it, that didn't come from the manufacturer that way. Just my opinion

i have to strongly disagree with the not buying the loegrin:chainsaw: undercarriage...as we have been running them for 1 year now and get better life out of the tracks than our fleet of t 300s/and 864s, and the cat 268 hi flow machine puts out more than that of the t 300...we run FAE mower heads on right of way work in california and the undercarriage has been great....put it this way i would not buy a track mounted cat 277/287 ect. due to the asv/cat undercarriage stinks...but talking t-300 to 268 with loegrin undercarriage I would say are side by side in all venues of applications....with sidehill work leaning toward the t-300....

atlas1 said:
i have to strongly disagree with the not buying the loegrin:chainsaw: undercarriage...as we have been running them for 1 year now and get better life out of the tracks than our fleet of t 300s/and 864s, and the cat 268 hi flow machine puts out more than that of the t 300...we run FAE mower heads on right of way work in california and the undercarriage has been great....put it this way i would not buy a track mounted cat 277/287 ect. due to the asv/cat undercarriage stinks...but talking t-300 to 268 with loegrin undercarriage I would say are side by side in all venues of applications....with sidehill work leaning toward the t-300....

I would have to disagree with you that the cat 268 highflow puts out more hydraulic flow than the T-300. Cat268 puts out 33 gals per minute at 4060 psi and the T300 puts out 37 gals per minute at 3300 psi. The T300 puts out more volume but 760psi less. You might still be running the G series T300's. I belive the newer K series has increased the hyrdo flow. I have the K series with a Fecon head and have been quite impressed with its capability.

yes ours are the older version....nice news though...we use the heck out of both of these....:cheers:

I will never forget the first time I saw a Kershaw axe run over a bobcat and an ASV that were draggin' on Mobile's(Saucony-Vacuum) ROW, bobcats get thrown alot farther due to a lighter color paint.

I am in the market for the same size machine right now and the prices i am getting are the oppisite...the Bobcat is more. Can you say the price you got?

This info is helpful as I was sold on the ASV and a Loftness Timber AX, I was going for the SR80 instead of the RC100 because I also wanted to run a chipper and stump grinder on the machine and some won't take 38 GPM and 3500 psi from but RC100 (too much) but 30GPM and 3000 psi were just right..does that make any sense? Am I trying to get too much out of one machine?

if u are not in a big rush sit tight as bobcat has a proto type out testing it's a s330 with over tracks and over 100hp!!!!! should b out in late o7;) and it's is set up to run a carbide mulching head (looked like a fecon )

the s 330 has wheels with over tracks on it

they just came out with a t300 with a forestry package and we are the first co. in ca. to get 1 i will post pic. later this week!! it has a fixed tooth carbide head (built by fecon to bobcat spec. ) and all the armor u need to help u from tearing it up in the forest

Interesting. Do you have specs on the T300 with Forestry Package? Or is it the same as the T300 specs, just with a few beefed areas?

As far as the S330 goes, that's just a wheeled skid-steer, so were you referring to over-the-tire tracks? Steel?

YES over the tire tracks

as for the new t300 forestry package it has a little more hp. and a better cooling system , lax an front window. Gard's on the lights/lift cylinders/roof/hoses and a sound reduction kit for the cab and engine compartment

Latest posts

Back