Audible warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you yell headache before
felling? It is just as important as any rule in safety and
I have become automatic over years and although I have
never had it prevent an accident I have been the victim
of someone that did not! I had a guy fall a pine lucky not
large and was in dense brush as it neared me saw it shadow
and I through up my hands and was gave a dislocated thumb.
I asked the cutter why he did not give warning and he said
you should not have been in the way! It was very hard to hold
back on this guy but with thumb hurting was not a good time
to wise him up.

:buttkick: This is what he needed!:buttkick: Audible Warning Should ALWAYS Be Given before dropping ANYTHING Out Of The Tree! I had a long limb with a lot of springy end branches land leaves first and then bounce horizontally like a javelin snapping my fg pole pruner like a dead stick! If I had not warned my groundie b4 cutting he would not have been prepared to dive out of the way and would probably have needed stitches! He felt bad about the pole pruner:greenchainsaw:

Saftey from falling hazards is a TEAM EFFORT

Audible warning should always be given before dropping material from above, or felling.

But if you always have to audibly warn the crew you work with, you're already in danger of an accident. Treework sites are noisy places, audible warning isn't always heard.

Its important that everyone onsite has both the training and the concentration to maintain awareness of what is going on around and above them at all times.

Many times a hanger will come free, or be tossed out of the tree, and since the guys on the ground didn't hear the sound of a saw running, they feel safe when they're really not.

I've had one close call, where I failed to give verbal warning, and my groundy didn't let me know he was coming back into the dropzone. I'd sent him around back to get a polesaw or something, and I walked out a limb to grab a hanger. I let the hangar fly, thinking my dropzone was clear, and it wasn't. My groundy had just walked directly under the path of the fall, and it landed 8-10 feet behind him.

Neither of us was aware, and it resulted in a near miss. My fault, but if he'd been paying attention, or yelled when he was coming back into the dropzone, my error could have been prevented.

We're all human, and we all make mistakes. Thats why it's so important for each person on the site to make everyone's saftey the first priority.

Training and Communication are the keys.
Climbers: Above all, pay attention, then,
1. Give audible warning when dropping or felling. Doubly so when tossing hangars or using the handsaw.
2. Wait for a response.
3. Make eye contact with anyone/everyone near the dropzone.
4. Consider possible errors or bounces, and hazards which could fall with the intended cut piece.

Groundies: Above all, pay attention, then,
1. Make your presence known when entering/leaving the dropzone.
2. Respond to audible warnings, AFTER clearing the dropzone.
3. Make eye contact with climber/feller.
4. Consider errors, bounces, and additional hazards which could fall.

One close call made me follow this procedure any time something is headed for the ground, and if you don't follow it every single time, you're at risk of being hurt or hurting someone.

"We're all human, and we all make mistakes. Thats why it's so important for each person on the site to make everyone's saftey the first priority." -ddhlakebound

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Audible warning should always be given before dropping material from above, or felling.

But if you always have to audibly warn the crew you work with, you're already in danger of an accident. Treework sites are noisy places, audible warning isn't always heard.

Its important that everyone onsite has both the training and the concentration to maintain awareness of what is going on around and above them at all times.

Many times a hanger will come free, or be tossed out of the tree, and since the guys on the ground didn't hear the sound of a saw running, they feel safe when they're really not.

I've had one close call, where I failed to give verbal warning, and my groundy didn't let me know he was coming back into the dropzone. I'd sent him around back to get a polesaw or something, and I walked out a limb to grab a hanger. I let the hangar fly, thinking my dropzone was clear, and it wasn't. My groundy had just walked directly under the path of the fall, and it landed 8-10 feet behind him.

Neither of us was aware, and it resulted in a near miss. My fault, but if he'd been paying attention, or yelled when he was coming back into the dropzone, my error could have been prevented.

We're all human, and we all make mistakes. Thats why it's so important for each person on the site to make everyone's saftey the first priority.

Training and Communication are the keys.
Climbers: Above all, pay attention, then,
1. Give audible warning when dropping or felling. Doubly so when tossing hangars or using the handsaw.
2. Wait for a response.
3. Make eye contact with anyone/everyone near the dropzone.
4. Consider possible errors or bounces, and hazards which could fall with the intended cut piece.

Groundies: Above all, pay attention, then,
1. Make your presence known when entering/leaving the dropzone.
2. Respond to audible warnings, AFTER clearing the dropzone.
3. Make eye contact with climber/feller.
4. Consider errors, bounces, and additional hazards which could fall.

One close call made me follow this procedure any time something is headed for the ground, and if you don't follow it every single time, you're at risk of being hurt or hurting someone.
Yes I concur this employee
was instructed to be cutting brush on right of way as I wanted little
stuff out of the way before felling began he disregarded instruction.
I trained men to get little stuff cut to establish wood line and make clean
up easier and to always give warning he broke rule and also was cutting
what he was instructed not to cut! Hard to hold back my anger especially
after his remark but we are human! With brush out off the way
you have better vision of crew members and not a big mess of
tangled brush to yank out of vines and compounds problem with
trees felled on top of brush. I wrapped up hand and went back to work pain for two months and finally got it through to him but
teaching hard headed youth is peta.
work

Last edited:
Back