Auger problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92utownxh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an Earthquake one person auger. I've used it to dig well over 100 post holes over the past few years. Now I'm having a problem with it. It starts right up and idles great. When I give it throttle it will run fine for a second then it bogs way down. I let off, and it idles perfectly again. I'm not sure what it could be. I've replaced the fuel lines and filter, new spark plug, fresh mix. I pulled the muffler, and I don't see anything wrong with the piston or cylinder. Maybe you all could see better than myself though. I was thought it could be clogged spark arrestor screen, but it doesn't have one. It looks like it must be a cat muffler, lots of honeycomb material in it. I can't easily take the muffler apart without having to weld it back together.

Luckily I don't need it right away so I have to mess with it. Let me your thoughts on it. Thanks.

Sounds like a clogged main jet. Pull carb and clean it good. If it sat for any length of time it is probably gummed up.

Thanks! I'll try pulling the carb, taking it apart, and cleaning it really well. It does sit for months at a time between uses.

If you get it going when you are finished you can drain it and run some moto-mix through it. If you only use it occasionally maybe just run it on motomix and then should be no worries. Obviously that fuel is not cheap but for a piece of equipment that gets limited use it might just be easier. That is what I do with my MS192 that only gets limited use and never an issue.

That's a good idea, hadn't ever crossed my mind. I only use it when I need to build more fence. It would definitely be worth the extra cost. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back