Autotune and Ethanol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmalterna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Getting to the point you cannot trust fuel dealers and run ins with ethanol seem inevitable.

I am curious if Autotune can adjust for ethanol? It adapts to octane/elevation/temp... so maybe it can adjust mix to compensate for the dryer/hotter burn with ethanol??

Just curious for any with experience.

Thanks,
Bill

I haven't noticed any problems running gas with ethanol in it. I do always run 93 and amsoil at 50:1 seems to get better everyday and i have been running it since January.

Last edited:
e-85??? I'd say no way, the jet or injector could not supply enough fuel as they need alot more fuel because it is not as potent... correct me if i'm wrong...

I think that an auto tune saw will adjust to most fuel and other conitions within reason .
Look at some of the threads where they have been modded without problems .
Now,as to how the lines ,and other parts holdup to ethanol ... I doubt it long term .

E-10 Sucks!

I've bought a "tiny tester" Ethanol test kit bottle from bailey's. Unit Work's good, but can't find any pure gas!
It's got me a little frustrated how this E-10 and soon to be E-15 is being shoved down the American public’s throat! Almost all pump gas within my general area is now all E-10, and here in Nevada they don’t even have to post it on the pump anymore.
I'm Desperately looking for an alternative, as I've ruined 1 carb on a 372 already. The Husqvarna dealer tried to just rebuild it with a kit to keep costs down, but after 2 kits he still couldn't get her running right.
In the end decided to go with a new walbro carb and she was all better again. After $300.00 and week in the shop I asked the small engine
Mechanic if I inadvertently did anything wrong to cause the damage. I told him I was meticulous about maintenance. Then I told him I was using premium pump gas no more than 2 months old, and that I use Sta-bil and Amsoil@50: 1, He told me that basically I did everything right except dump the fuel out of the saw sooner, but it looked like Ethanol was most likely the culprit, I Guess you can’t depend on just Sta-bil to save the day any more and have to add "Startron" also to help preserve the Ethanol part of the fuel
Heck I'm even tempted to resort to AV-Gas (if they will sell it to me) or extremely pricey True-fuel 50 or SEF-50.
Any of you have any recommendations?

My first concern was more excessive heat/wear to piston more than line issues. I am considering phase separation to remove as much ethanol as possible. I also need to get one of the handy kits- just using a clear plastic bottle/sharpie and water to test now. Just trying to find the easiest/safest solution.

I never gained the time/interest to learn to rework my small engines & now have two homes to take care of with my fathers passing. Having to maintain way too much "stuff'..

Thanks,
Bill

Are we talking about e10 or e85? Their is a difference

Don't jump on the Ethanol bandwagon just yet. I have used it in all of my equipment at one time or another and guess what, NEVER have had a problem. Didn't matter whether it was 2/4 stroke. For my lawnmowers, brushcutter, tiller, it has even sat for long periods of time with no ill effect. I tend to agree with Brad and others here, you and your wallet were taken to the cleaners. Better luck next time.

Shea

Here around Louiville,Ky Marathon added way too much Ethanol to their mix and damaged some engines.
I will continue to use av gas to be safe.
I never got a kit to test for ethanol I just used a beret and mix with water to test how much ethanol. 10percent for all gasoline around here.
I think this would make ethanol gasoline have about 5 percent less energy than pure gasoline.
I may start using av gas in my outboard motor.

My area of experience is mostly with GM products. The late model systems are designed for the E10 & greater fuels. The flex-fuel systems are designed for the E85 and seem to work with most anything that comes from the pump. I have one flex-fuel vehicle in my family, so far no problems. It doesn't get fueled with E85, just E10 pump gasoline blends. It did get one tankful of E85, once....by mistake, no ill effects, it ran fine, started fine, etc. Fuel economy was noticeably worse, lower mpg.

The systems have so much synthetic in them, ethanol doesn't seem to affect them as much as the early systems with rubber/neoprene/plastic components. The electronic management seems able to adjust sufficiently to allow good performance regardless of fuel quality, within design perimeters.

I follow this with interest, the OPE is certain to see rapid gains in system design.

It would be interesting to see if there are more carb kits sold now (actual data, not anecdotal) than there were pre E-10. I suspect many of the normal reasons that carbs need rebuild these days are attributed to the ethanol boogie man regardless of their actual causes. Its not like carbs didnt ever need rebuilt before ethanol was around.

I keep my gas in SEALED containers and have yet to see ANY separation.

Openloop, just so you know, I typed this up and then got distracted and forgot to post it. I came back later and read your post. It's amazing we used the same terminology and have the same general conclusion.

As I typed it 1.5hrs earlier-

YEP....I've been yelling this for months!!!! Ethanol is the boogey man. It is not harmful to fuel system components made in the last 6-8yrs, and while it is possible that phase seperation can take place, it would be from water entering the fuel while it is in the ground, not from moisture absorbed from the atmosphere.

Now, don't get me started on the politics of ethanol...I'm in total agreement with you on that one!!

nmurph, nothing I have is newer than 8yrs old. Even my diesel truck isn't meant to be run on ultra low sulfur fuel.
The only thing new is my 576AT.
I think the boogy man is real.

Latest posts

Back