Axe Men

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The name of the show is actually axmen in case your using the search function on your dvr to find it.

Hard to judge by the first episode but it looks like it should be pretty good.

It was all about pulling trees up the mountain with a cable. Almost no falling at all. I was disappointed. Very little saw time. No monster trees.

I kinda felt the same, I doubt you'll see any monster trees in the area they're in but expect the show will be more than just yarding.

For the guys who didn't see Ax Men, I don't think you missed much. The first episode reminded me of something from MTV, where they love to scapegoat and complain. For one thing, it's too industrial. How many of you guys ever rigged a mile long caple with a helicopter? Give me a break. If the second episode doesn't shape up, I going back to watching those two guys live with the Mek tribe on the Travel Channel. They seem more genuine.

It seems to be set up like Ice road truckers or Deadliest Catch.
4 different teams trying to make the most $$ in a season of logging.

I thought it was OK.

Only saw a couple of Stihls so far..........mostly red saws.

I watched it last night. I'm HOPING that now that their yarders are set up the show will get a bit more interesting. Seemed like last nights episode was mostly a very brief rundown of the different logging companies on the show and mostly revolved around set up and running their yarder cables. It was pretty slow to watch. Hopefully a LOT more chips will fly in the coming episodes.

I saw the show, I frankly got bored with it.
It was a letdown.

It was OK, not earth-shattering, but OK. About what I expected from the History channel and the first episode. I'll give it a few my episodes to make up my mind whether it's worth investing any more of my time though.

It is setup exactly like the Deadiest Catch, which is a little cookie-cutterish for me. Was hoping it would break new ground, not just rip off another shows format. (haven't watched the Ice Road Truckers series, just the documentary that was out a couple years ago)

This is interesting. I've read all the Axe-Men posts and there's kind of a common thread that runs through them.

The Left Coast crew, especially the PNWs, seem to find the whole thing favorable so far. A few reservations about technique, but they generally like the show. They're usually the ones with first hand or real world experience at what the show portrays and they know what they're looking at.

The mid-west bunch is split about half and half on whether they like it or not. The midcontinent types who log or have a knowledge of it seem to like the show.

The east coast types, as a rule, don't seem to like it much. That might be because they don't have any basis of understanding about what Left Coast logging is really like. Maybe they were expecting Paul Bunyan with an 880 in each hand and an axe clenched in his teeth, muttering obscenities and scowling a lot as he laid waste to five square miles of forest every day.
Sorry kids, it is what it is. Stick around...you might learn something.

And before anybody protests...there are exceptions to every rule.

This is interesting. I've read all the Axe-Men posts and there's kind of a common thread that runs through them.

The Left Coast crew, especially the PNWs, seem to find the whole thing favorable so far. A few reservations about technique, but they generally like the show. They're usually the ones with first hand or real world experience at what the show portrays and they know what they're looking at.

The mid-west bunch is split about half and half on whether they like it or not. The midcontinent types who log or have a knowledge of it seem to like the show.

The east coast types, as a rule, don't seem to like it much. That might be because they don't have any basis of understanding about what Left Coast logging is really like. Maybe they were expecting Paul Bunyan with an 880 in each hand and an axe clenched in his teeth, muttering obscenities and scowling a lot as he laid waste to five square miles of forest every day.
Sorry kids, it is what it is. Stick around...you might learn something.

And before anybody protests...there are exceptions to every rule.

That made me laugh!

Besides, everyone knows Paul used Macs.

talk about one handing.......one on the tree to feel for the fall direction & the other on the saw for cutting these are a little bigger than top handled chainsaws LOL.

Put a wedge in the curf and you can see even better when the fall is starting.

These are just the companies that were small enough to let a TV crew in. I know reaal loggers wwho wear saw pants all the time. If they did not do it, LaBonville would not be making their own line in house for $100 a pop. The made a custom measure set for me at no extra charge.

I watched it and did not like it much. The yoder and yarder stuff I have never seen before, I liked that they made the one out of a sherman tank (I would like to see that as a show).

I was hoping they would not put the drama in it but they did. Now it will be another drama show to watch with the wife.

Maybe Fish can get them to make a show about parting out new saws. That would of been better.

Still early though, maybe/hope it will get better.

v/r

Mike

Falling is the first step, but the logs gotta make it to the mill or no pay. You all should notice that they are not limbing or bucking, just dropping the trees and then tree length yarding. Forest Service contracts here have a 40 foot maximum log length and we require bucking prior to yarding. It is supposed to cut down on damage to the standing trees but that always depends more on the operator. On the show, looks like the one outfit has a delimber waiting on the landing, and I bet the others have either that or a processor.

The universal thought is this: When everything goes wrong, blame it on the cutters!:)

I'm waiting to see if they do an episode called;
Log Truckers: Gossip control of the woods and carriers of donuts.

Back