Axe Men

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I log in middle America, and I liked it. I was just amazed that they used such long bars for such small trees. The tree they were cutting don't look any bigger (on average) than anything we cut here, taller, yes probably but not diameter and to boot it a truly softwood.

The only use I saw those guy's had for the long bars for was as a "walking stick" when they were about to fall off a log. It helped them prop themselves back up onto the log.

Possibly it makes drunken logging more manageable??? As to the long bars as "walking sticks", I guess that is a useful purpose....I mean reason......I mean excuse, to mount a long bar onto your saw, LOL.

It was interesting to see that for all the guy's working they don't pull out any more wood than we do. As a matter of fact I don't see how they make any money, what with all that extra expense. I'm glad I don't have to start my day out draggin some cable for 4000 feet, before the first log is landed, LOL.

Overall, I liked the show. They are trying to drama it up, but that is just showbiz stuff.

My opinion,

Sam

Well I'm out East and liked the actual working part of the show, I just don't like the complete recipe stolen from Deadiest Catch, right down to the FNG/Greenhorn getting verbally ripped by the experienced hand. Right out of last years season of D.C. "will he make the cut or get sent packing" I just wish they were a little bit original with this show.

But I guess I shouldn't expect much from TV/Hollywood, there hasn't been an original idea in decades........

I'll still watch and enjoy the working scenes.:chainsaw:

I log in middle America, and I liked it. I was just amazed that they used such long bars for such small trees. The tree they were cutting don't look any bigger (on average) than anything we cut here, taller, yes probably but not diameter and to boot it a truly softwood.

The only use I saw those guy's had for the long bars for was as a "walking stick" when they were about to fall off a log. It helped them prop themselves back up onto the log.

Possibly it makes drunken logging more manageable??? As to the long bars as "walking sticks", I guess that is a useful purpose....I mean reason......I mean excuse, to mount a long bar onto your saw, LOL.

It was interesting to see that for all the guy's working they don't pull out any more wood than we do. As a matter of fact I don't see how they make any money, what with all that extra expense. I'm glad I don't have to start my day out draggin some cable for 4000 feet, before the first log is landed, LOL.

Overall, I liked the show. They are trying to drama it up, but that is just showbiz stuff.

My opinion,

Sam

Yeah, you're right. The only use for a long bar is as a walking stick. Always use the belly of your 18" bar on your 660 to cut off a root plate. TROLL!

Last edited:
Well I'm out East and liked the actual working part of the show, I just don't like the complete recipe stolen from Deadiest Catch, right down to the FNG/Greenhorn getting verbally ripped by the experienced hand. Right out of last years season of D.C. "will he make the cut or get sent packing" I just wish they were a little bit original with this show.

But I guess I shouldn't expect much from TV/Hollywood, there hasn't been an original idea in decades........

Yep. It is just TV. Always good to remember that. I was a state certified Public Information Officer, a PIO, and there were times when I would read a newspaper article about some fire we had fought and wonder why I even bothered to give them a press release. They would have a picture of our ladder truck and written description of what it does and the caption would say something like "here a Fire Department crane lifts debris out of the fire. Huh? Now I don't believe anything I read and only half of what I see.

Long Bars and bucking

When you watch some of the bucking, note the forces from slope and binds and how powerful the release can be.

Now watch how close the bucker is when bucking those logs.

Honestly, another foot can be a huge gift.

Picture bucking walking along a log going slightly downhill. Longer bars make limbing easier.

Most loggers will tell you falling and bucking are important but they make their money limbing.
(Limbing takes most of the time.)

Have you seen how they limb in the Scandanavian video?

http://www.skogforsk.se/KunskapDirekt/default.aspx?p=11362&bmp=11727

then do the Film för bredband select on the lower left.

then the Avverkning med motorsåg (10 min) .

Watch the movie about 2/3rds of the way through for the limbing.

Can you picture that style of limbing if it were being done in these type of units?
(That does happen)

Last edited:
I have nothing against the long bars. I tend to use longer than everyone around here for those same reasons. I was just amazed that the trees in the show weren't any bigger. I'm not saying they don't cut biggin's out there but in that show it didn't look like you would need to use more than a 28" for most.

Now if you have to cut every tree level with the ground that is a different story. Hopefully they will show more cutting in future shows.

Well, now I'm off to "log" with my 18" full skip on my modded 084, LOL.

Sam

lxt and capetrees my point exactly you don't have your glasses on,oh you don't have that knot right, those ppe pants aren't good enough.I really wonder how many of these guys on the site really work for a living doing what we do.do they follow a book and sit behind a computer and try to find every little thing thats wrong and criticize guys for what they do.try the real world for once step out of the desk and computer and really do the job .some of these posts responses are terrible a guy trying to get info or ask questions and get blasted for it.I think its pretty funny after awhile.lxt cape you know the real guys from the wanta be's and you guys are for real there are alot of great people on the site but sometimes it gets old.the show proves the real world and what we do.nothing is perfect do the job and go home safe.

This is interesting. I've read all the Axe-Men posts and there's kind of a common thread that runs through them.

The Left Coast crew, especially the PNWs, seem to find the whole thing favorable so far. A few reservations about technique, but they generally like the show. They're usually the ones with first hand or real world experience at what the show portrays and they know what they're looking at.

The mid-west bunch is split about half and half on whether they like it or not. The midcontinent types who log or have a knowledge of it seem to like the show.

The east coast types, as a rule, don't seem to like it much. That might be because they don't have any basis of understanding about what Left Coast logging is really like. Maybe they were expecting Paul Bunyan with an 880 in each hand and an axe clenched in his teeth, muttering obscenities and scowling a lot as he laid waste to five square miles of forest every day.
Sorry kids, it is what it is. Stick around...you might learn something.

And before anybody protests...there are exceptions to every rule.

LOL,,,, Thats a pretty good summation BOB!!! I would say,,,,, of the post by region,,,
anywho,,,,,, and really funny with the Paul Bunyan razz as well!!! LOL

I think they set the stage by the diversity of the different crews and their different types of equipment, budgets, & terrains to work,,,, got one that gotta be bettern 30% grade,,,,, one bunch is working a big blowdown area with some good size Dougies still standing and trying to capitilize on the blowdowns but emphasizing on the dangers inccurred by trees that have lost their bark and are slick as geased owl $h!t and have had a few biguns get away from the landing and scare the crap out of everybody,,, escpecially the young buck hooking up the chokers!!!! and the blowdown rootballs rearing up!!!!!!! with headleaners about to barberchair like crazy!!!!!!!

Equipment breakdowns w/drama!!!!! sure,,, Stuff happens!!!!

I say just set back and watch,,,, will there be more drama???? well yeah!!!!!!!!

will the narrators say things totally wrong, & will the camera crews and producer get the guys to pump it up a wee bit for the spectators???? (already did) well yeah!!!!!!!,,,

it does give a taste to what it was like from my being able to be hanging out on the leftcoast for the second time and was able to just hang out have fun and not be working,,,,
attachment.php

I really loved it,,,,, it brings back good memories
attachment.php

see what I mean?????? I think any of you grumble sticks if you ever get the chance,,,,, should go there and see it for yourself,,,, upclose and personal,,,,,

attachment.php

Last edited:
When you watch some of the bucking, note the forces from slope and binds and how powerful the release can be.

Now watch how close the bucker is when bucking those logs.

Honestly, another foot can be a huge gift.

Picture bucking walking along a log going slightly downhill. Longer bars make limbing easier.

Most loggers will tell you falling and bucking are important but they make their money limbing.
(Limbing takes most of the time.)

Have you seen how they limb in the Scandanavian video?

http://www.skogforsk.se/KunskapDirekt/default.aspx?p=11362&bmp=11727

then do the Film för bredband select on the lower left.

then the Avverkning med motorsåg (10 min) .

Watch the movie about 2/3rds of the way through for the limbing.

Can you picture that style of limbing if it were being done in these type of units?
(That does happen)

When you have to cut a bent over alder, no bar is too long. A longer bar also allows you to cut while hiding behind another tree. A longer bar lets you reach farther when standing on a steep slope. You can also keep your arms out of harms way. The bar might get smashed but your arms won't. It doesn't look like you'll get to see much bucking and limbing as they have a delimber waiting up on the landing. It is more efficient but they'll have more of a slash pile to reckon with on the landing.

LOL,,,, Thats a pretty good summation BOB!!! I would say,,,,, of the post by region,,,
anywho,,,,,, and really funny with the Paul Bunyan razz as well!!! LOL

I think they set the stage by the diversity of the different crews and their different types of equipment, budgets, & terrains to work,,,, got one that gotta be bettern 30% grade,,,,, one bunch is working a big blowdown area with some good size Dougies still standing and trying to capitilize on the blowdowns but emphasizing on the dangers inccurred by trees that have lost their bark and are slick as geased owl $h!t and have had a few biguns get away and scare the crap out of everybody,,, escpecially the young buck hooking up the chokers!!!! and the blowdown rootballs rearing up!!!!!!! with headleaners about to barberchair like crazy!!!!!!!

Equipment breakdowns w/drama!!!!! sure,,, Stuff happens!!!!

I say just set back and watch,,,, will there be more drama???? well yeah!!!!!!!!

will the narrators say things totally wrong, & will the camera crews and producer get the guys to pump it up a wee bit for the spectators???? (already did) well yeah!!!!!!!,,,

it does give a taste to what it was like from my being able to be hanging out on the leftcoast for the second time and was able to just hang out have fun and not be working,,,,
attachment.php

I really loved it,,,,, it brings back good memories
attachment.php

see what I mean?????? I think any of you grumble sticks if you ever get the chance,,,,, should go there and see it for yourself,,,, upclose and personal,,,,,

attachment.php

Geez, a guy takes a vacation in the PNW and he comes back an "expert"....Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mark

Ruh roh!

River Rat 2 forgot to put in the PNW disclaimer that he used photo shop to put in a blue sky and had to draw in the normally socked in volcano shots.
Or else he was here during the 1 day of sun we get each year. Just watch the weather get miserable later on in the program. Like this.

attachment.php

I have nothing against the long bars. I tend to use longer than everyone around here for those same reasons. I was just amazed that the trees in the show weren't any bigger. I'm not saying they don't cut biggin's out there but in that show it didn't look like you would need to use more than a 28" for most.

Now if you have to cut every tree level with the ground that is a different story. Hopefully they will show more cutting in future shows.

Well, now I'm off to "log" with my 18" full skip on my modded 084, LOL.

Sam

The hay days are over three log loads were the norm. Mills are set up for peck-err poles. Most trees end up in a stud mill or chunk-ed into structure boards. Long bars give you space and it shows how over exaggerated the critical importance of balance and weight. Use what u brung.

Well said.

Geez, a guy takes a vacation in the PNW and he comes back an "expert"....Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express?

Mark

Good one Mark!!!!!

Nope,,,,,, No hotel!!!! I camped out with Dean a few days under the shadow of Mt. St. Helen!!!!!!!!! and He helped me build a new 044/046 OEM hotrod!!!!! that absolutley freaking rocks,,, then I Hung out with Andy a couple of days ,,,,,, and My Ex BIL(we stihl talk) is a detective w/Seattle PD

I'M by far no logging expert,,,,,, but I have lots of saw time on blowdowns and storm cleanup with My familys background,,,,,,,

BTW Finally got the P/C for the 066 Mag your old Full wrap handle bar is going on:clap: :clap: :clap: it should be a good un!!!!! :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Yeah slowp is right,,,,,,, it rained the whole time!!!!!:cry: :dizzy: :cheers:

Me to i wanted to see more saws but i will watch and see if it get better have not ruled it out

to

The universal thought is this: When everything goes wrong, blame it on the cutters!:)

I'm waiting to see if they do an episode called;
Log Truckers: Gossip control of the woods and carriers of donuts.

Absolutely right about blaming the fallers for everything...'twas ever thus.

And log truck drivers don't "gossip". Girls gossip. Log truck drivers trade information. Also supposition, rumor, innuendo, and just plain old bald face lies. But never gossip.

But, please, be quiet about the donuts...there's only so many to go around and since the FS people never show up until after eight o'clock in the morning(the middle of the day for us) there aren't any donuts left for them. And we feel soooooo bad about that. We tried leaving the empty box with a few crumbs in it on the ticket stump at the landing but a chaser poured water in the box and ate it for breakfast. He said the cardboard was a little chewy but it cured the loose bowels he'd been having.

Last edited:
lxt and capetrees my point exactly you don't have your glasses on,oh you don't have that knot right, those ppe pants aren't good enough.I really wonder how many of these guys on the site really work for a living doing what we do.do they follow a book and sit behind a computer and try to find every little thing thats wrong and criticize guys for what they do.try the real world for once step out of the desk and computer and really do the job .some of these posts responses are terrible a guy trying to get info or ask questions and get blasted for it.I think its pretty funny after awhile.lxt cape you know the real guys from the wanta be's and you guys are for real there are alot of great people on the site but sometimes it gets old.the show proves the real world and what we do.nothing is perfect do the job and go home safe.

True that, I agree sometimes there are short cuts that just need to be taken. But one must take a little more caution when other people's houses and properties are in danger. I know there is no more risk that risking your life but if you want to risk your life that is your prerogative but others hire you to make sure their property is kept safe and unharmed. Please do not think I am disagreeing with you I am agreeing just making another point.
Jared

magnum 783 Im with you a 100% im just saying all these back seat drivers trying to give advice that dont have a clue what the real world is all about and follow a manual or computer.safety of your customer and the guys that work for you and with you are the most important with out them you would be and have nothing.

Latest posts

Back