Axe Men

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C'mon people. This is a TV show. I will lay odds that all those incidents, including the gas cap one, were staged and were not part of the operation at all. Yes, it does illustrate the rediculous things that can, and do, happen but...

My money is on:

Director: We need a scene with a carriage failure:

Logger - well, we had a fuel cap fall of once and...

Director: Perfect! Let's do it!

Harry K

Hearing protection

If all the profanity were whistle blocked AxMen would need to be a special pay per view where hearing protection was provided.

With regard to the staging of screw ups.
I don't believe that is necessary.

All you have to do is follow the Gypo outfits that pay the least and have, say, WWII tanks on the landing.

It sure looks like there will be a difference in income for those that don't have back-up equipment, (a set of spurs perhaps), on-site.

Smoke,
I wasn't able to find the limbing video. I did find this cool safety logger (attached).

Been watching a lot of U-tube vids lately of BC fallers. Kinda a nice contrast to axe men. Clearly shows where Canadian priorities lie in terms of safety. I'm not saying right or wrong. The argument can easily be made that WC loggers in the states are so independent of safety oversight that they will maintain more individual vigilance as opposed to doing what "Rulebook Roger" says.

Does anyone know what the card attached to BC fallers vests is all about? Looks like an annoyance. -- A log chart?

attachment.php

With the redcross it could be firstaid kit

Nope

I'm sorry. but mandating that outfit would shut down the logging industry in Oregon.

{Don't forward that thought to any 'huggers'.}

I totally agree that Oregon needs some level of Training / Apprentice / Certifcation program.

My Brother-in-law says it well. (He drives a self loader and can cut fine.) "There is no way any State or Federal Yahoo is going to test me."

Trees

I know I know, I'm talking smack here... BUT... What's the deal with the trees? Those are tiny. I've yet to see a big tree. Those trees are what we cut all the time here. When do they cut BIG timber. We have a plantation of 500 or so acres with 24+inch ponderosa pines. My buddy from oregon told me all the really big ones were protected. Do they actually cut anything bigger than what we're seeing or are those westerners just talkin' smack??? I'm being serious here. I haven't seen them cut one yet thats say 4' dbh. Think anyone will??? :confused: :popcorn:

:cheers: eh?

Yes they do cut bigger there is a log yard near here of 32"+logs for export. Once in awhile ya still see 3-5 log loads but any more very few mills are set up for the big stuff like you have heard all the big public land stuff is locked up.

I know I know, I'm talking smack here... BUT... What's the deal with the trees? Those are tiny. I've yet to see a big tree. Those trees are what we cut all the time here. When do they cut BIG timber. We have a plantation of 500 or so acres with 24+inch ponderosa pines. My buddy from oregon told me all the really big ones were protected. Do they actually cut anything bigger than what we're seeing or are those westerners just talkin' smack??? I'm being serious here. I haven't seen them cut one yet thats say 4' dbh. Think anyone will??? :confused: :popcorn:

:cheers: eh?

Yes they, we do. Im not a logger, Ive seen many huge trees. In that show so far they are only cutting 2nd growth timber.

hmph!!!

Makes no difference. I still would love to go out there to see how they work like that. It's so different from how they things here... Very cool... The climate really makes such a difference there. At 3 or 4000' here the growth size is like alpine tundra... There, at say 7000', the trees are as big as ours at 1000'... Really interesting. Anything in the NE over say 3000' is just brush, NOTHING grows above around 4500' except some grass if your lucky, and most of that is protected...

:popcorn:

Makes no difference. I still would love to go out there to see how they work like that. It's so different from how they things here... Very cool... The climate really makes such a difference there. At 3 or 4000' here the growth size is like alpine tundra... There, at say 7000', the trees are as big as ours at 1000'... Really interesting. Anything in the NE over say 3000' is just brush, NOTHING grows above around 4500' except some grass if your lucky, and most of that is protected...

That is because they are a boreal rainforest, in some cases they have true cloud forests.

the high precipitation and long growing season, and dirth of heavy weather, makes for perfect huge tree conditions. Rog and they other guys from the costal PNW have told me of 90 ft crab apples.

Here in Washington around 4000 ft trees get much smaller due to the snow pack. Skinny little trees above that. Alpine fir and mountain hemlock. Short stubby branches on the firs and hemlocks are very flexible and bend under the snow. 400 - 500 inches of snowfall per year up there. Mount Rainier and Mount Baker both have recorded 1000 inches of snowfall in a season.

Here in Washington around 4000 ft trees get much smaller due to the snow pack. Skinny little trees above that. Alpine fir and mountain hemlock. Short stubby branches on the firs and hemlocks are very flexible and bend under the snow. 400 - 500 inches of snowfall per year up there. Mount Rainier and Mount Baker both have recorded 1000 inches of snowfall in a season.

Are they predicting big flash floods for this coming melt season?

Our timberline out east is more a function of site than climate. Less soil/duff = less vegetation. The Adk summits receive moisture but do not retain it. Historically many, if not most of the summits were forested (though likely not saw timber) in pre-colonization times. Logging and the catastrophic fires that followed at the turn of the twentieth century changed many of the summits' successional stage for the foreseeable future. A good source of info is the Colvin journals that were written when he surveyed the Adks in late 1800s (a few summits he cleared and burned himself for survey stations).

Though we do not receive anywhere near the moisture that they do out in the PNW.:greenchainsaw:

Hey Gang,

If you've missed any episodes, or you're starting late, you can catch up by watching early shows here:

http://www.history.com/minisites/axmen

I don't think there is much staging going on. However, the camera's presence has a doubtless effect on the situation.

I'm diggin it.

Oh and stopping picking on the new climber....we all start somewhere. :cheers:

yeah, maybe he shouldn't have gone with the bad buckle, but hard to shut down the operation over something like that. Until, something goes bad wrong and then it's 20/20 hindsight. Should've broke out the duct tape. :)

I got a kick out of Dwayne's son...Dustin Timber. What a perfect name for a fourth generation logger!

He made some shrewd comments for someone his age.

Sorry that I dissed this show so badly earlier in the thread. I'm really enjoying it now. I have a big amount of respect for Old Man Browning. He could be home collecting an SSI check for that mangled left arm. Instead he is out there doing it. You are a man to be admired Mr. Browning. I doubt few people could keep up with you.

Sorry that I dissed this show so badly earlier in the thread. I'm really enjoying it now. I have a big amount of respect for Old Man Browning. He could be home collecting an SSI check for that mangled left arm. Instead he is out there doing it. You are a man to be admired Mr. Browning. I doubt few people could keep up with you.

What's better, he sent the checks back. That's rare form integrity.

If I ever got out there, I'd work for him on general principle.

You have to admire the man's tenacity to continue working despite a disability. I am really enjoying the show but doubt that I will ever be able to look at lumber products with the same indifference.:cheers:

Back