Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 lbs 2 oz. I would say feels about right. If I walk in the bathroom to weigh the axe on the scale it may frighten my lady.
My kids kept saying if I keep bringing guys home off of websites, I
was going to wind up bringing home an axe murder. I said, "Don't you know, your mom IS the axe murder!"
Cj2Lg1I.jpg

I'm on a roll! Oh yeah! One for Joe, I hope you feel its a fair job @rarefish383
View attachment 838681

View attachment 838702

28" ash handle, a cheap one but with decent grain alignment it seems. I decided to use this as it was a cheap handle to practice hanging a Jersey on (its my first, and i wasn't sure how easy it would be) but decent enough that hopefully it won't break for a while. As it was the hang seemed ok, so when it does break the straight 28" Smedberg hickory stick will be used.
It's time for that 28" Smedberg as the the cheap ash handle snapped a couple of inches down from the head a week ago. It's been used a great deal in the nearly two years though. I found the weight and length good for easy splitting stuff and I've had an absurd amount of Oak in that time which I always love splitting. Head was still rock solid so the hang was good.

I've got a small hatchet I use to mark firewood lengths on logs before bucking. Total weight is 25 oz so the head alone probably only weighs a pound. Don't know anything about it and the only mark is "Shapleigh". Any info about it?
IMG_1105.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg

Well, it's not an Axe, but it is a Collins. A Collins Legitimus #871. I went by my local auction and it was on the first table. Only problem was the auctioneer put it with another knife, as one lot. I was afraid some young guy would out bid me for the big dagger and just throw the old Collins away. I got lucky and won the bid for both, for $26. I visit Allaboutpocketknives every month. They have a member give away. I'm donating the Jim Frost Dagger to one of the up coming give aways. Here's the Collins.
4OVmP60.jpg

VwAvWp6.jpg

6IO84WV.jpg

7x2J91G.jpg

It's time for that 28" Smedberg as the the cheap ash handle snapped a couple of inches down from the head a week ago. It's been used a great deal in the nearly two years though. I found the weight and length good for easy splitting stuff and I've had an absurd amount of Oak in that time which I always love splitting. Head was still rock solid so the hang was good.
Hey, Neil. Looks good, better than when I found it! I haven't found many axes since covid struck. Most of the auctions I go to have gone "All On Line", and don't plan on going back to live sales. You can still go in and preview stuff, but I hate to make 2 or 3 trips to look at things, and then have to wait to see how the bidding goes

Back