Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heard a loud crash other day... big limb had come down... across the street. neighbor had worker in and he cut it up, trunk, too and curbed it. i went over to ck it out. 100' from my curb! lots of ez-pickens oak. couple of the larger pcs of the main limb had couple of branches needing to come off. rather than fire up my lil echo... took along when i went to get it later in day... one of my camp axes.
P7170001.JPG
removed with ease. :)

bought it new around around 1980 or so over at Sears. over 40 yrs old. had gotten a bit weather beaten. so few years back i sanded the handle and refinished in with some varathane. did most of my axes back then. camp and swing. handles, loose heads, etc. has a nice edge. i mostly use it to make kindling. 8" pcs of cut old cedar fence slats...
P7230002.JPGP7230003.JPGP7230005.JPGP7230006.JPG

Must be a regional thing. In MD every other single seems to be a Jersey. When live auctions start back up I'll grab one for you. Now I only keep them if they have nice graphics on them, or are a Plumb or Collins. Only thing is, if it has a nice handle on it, it will cost a little more to ship. I'm not like those ebay sellers that cut every handle off.

Just now seeing this! Thanks brother!

So, haven't updated in a while. Haven't touch my axe projects in a bit. Too busy working.

I did, however, stop into a lumber shop that specializes in various exotic woods, and offers blanks for woodworkers. Well, they had 36" Quarter sawn Ash baseball bat blanks. I bought three to make some handles.

Just need to find some good templates for the handles.

Newest project. Wedge almost all the way into kerf. Little gaps in either side at top, but think the axehead is on there and pretty secure. The handle is a little proud over the axehead and mushroomed.

Latest posts

Back