Backhoe Splitter project finished w/video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Had nice weather today so we decided to test the home built Backhoe splitter (Northern Tool Kit), finished welding on Friday. This is my father in law's design, I was a little skeptic at first, wondering how we were going to reach in and control the levers. As I soon learned he never planned on getting out of the Backhoe once we cut the logs.... Take a look, I posted three Videos for your enjoyment. We ended up spending about 2 hours splitting wood this morning and never touched the wood except for cutting the logs, and then loading... Makes splitting very easy (No Hands).

v1yt.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRIYFFTlMSQ

v2yt.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y0fAYaFu-o

v3yt.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me1qtqBuUU0

Here are some pictures also:

backhoe1_400.jpg

backhoe3_400.jpg

woodstack_400.jpg

A few other Pictures (below link) if your interested in this project...

http://icreek.com/stove/splitter/

Last edited:
Well at first when I seen the pics I thought holy crap that is gonna be time consuming. But after watching the videos, your pretty darn slick with that.:rock: :clap:

I like it.
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
gonecountry - Thanks, yeah he is a very good operator, has owned and operated a backhoe for over 30 years and gets a new one every few years. I swear he could comb my hair with a bucket if I would let him.

BC_Logger - We have about $500 in what you see, just used within the family, we have three Hardy OWB stoves. Today was our first outing behind the house were we have some logs. We need to try it with some greener wood, but overall we are very happy with the way it worked.

that thing is awsome! makes me wish i had backhoe. It probably cost quite a bit more in fuel than a splitter would but you will save a fortune on Advil. no aches and pains in the back after a day of splitting for you.

Slick setup, and decent operator. Now if that was on a Small excavator you would really have something!

Very nice. Did you try it with the 4-way at all. That is what I am wanting to buid for my skid steer. It would be nice not to have to wrestle huge rounds. Do you think the northern kit is worth it?

Thanks Scott

Pure Slickness my friend! I'd have to say that's gonna save some backs! Great job!:cheers:

Great Idea there. Looks slow, but I would do it. One man operation. If you have a four way bucket even better. Split and pile without ever leaving the cab.:clap:

It reminds me of a Stump Splitter. Give it a try. That could be a whole new business for ya.

FYI: They make stump splitters for Skid Steers. An easy convert to a log splitter. Seen a few on e-bay and craigslist

Really slick set-up. After splitting 3-4 cord you are ready to go out partying. Not tired or full of aches and pains.

The wedge moves quite fast. I bet you could move thru some wood pronto.

Your operator is very good by the way.

boom splitters

That's a pretty neat rig. For lack of time, I've been buying my wood all split but if I get the time and logs sometime, I'll surely do something of this nature. Already have hoe and splitter.
I've also got to look at a friends rig that says he's got a wedge rigged on his small excavator, with a stop on the dipper boom and just grabs the blocks and pops them. If it's practical, I'll get photo's and post them.
Here's a place that builds them for excavators.

Smiley
http://www.rockbuckets.com/Images/st_1.jpg

nice setup

? can you pick up the logs and hold them to be cut, also maybe split them over the bucket and you wont have to touch the wood at all.
time to patten it!

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your viewing and comments, I felt the only way to give it justice was to create some you tube videos.... Got the video idea from Mr. Firewood and kellog within another post on splitters. Thanks to those two, great idea!!

Dok and kolleg - Thanks for the OP compliment, those videos were shot 10- 15 minutes after the first hookup and splitting, today was much smoother. I have seen alot of backhoe operators, and my father in law has a smooth touch (30 years he ought to). ASEMASTER - We did that exact thing today, we split for a little over an hour, creating a pile (below picture) and did not touch a piece of wood, splitting over the pile. smiley - We have a Bobcat brand excavator, (brother in law), might make another for it, or rig this one up and go for a 5" cylinder for the Backhoe. STLfirewood - The four way seemed a little odd, we like the single blade for now, it may take more (Northern) cylinder to push the four way through knotting wood, 4.5" or 5". But overall happy with our Northern Tool kit purchase, under $400. Thanks everyone else for your comments, I enjoying reading them, and hope my post(s) are being well received, fairly new here : )

Here are two pics from today, one is the split pile, no hands!!! Second pic is the hay barn storage location for the splitter, about 50' from where we log and split. It hooks and unhooks in about 2 minutes. Welcome any more comments and suggestions, we are thinking about going with a 5" cylinder sometime later, might speed it up a bit and be stronger, but so far it has split everything we tried.

sunday_split.jpg

sunday_parked.jpg

Other Pictures of Splitter
http://icreek.com/stove/splitter/

Last edited:
Mini excavator splitter

GREAT JOB. We are working on the same style set up for a 305 cat mini ex.with the same idea but we are mounting it on a hyd. swivel off an old morbark chipper. Glad to see the northern kit worked out we have one one the shelf ready to go into another design. will try to get some pics up.

Which hydraulic connection did you use to run the splitter? Does your backhoe have an auxilliary connection or did you use the extendahoe control?

I am curious I have an older 580 with no auxiliary connection

We are using the auxillary connection/controls. He uses this same connection/controls for his chipper and other attachments. I think you can purchase a kit for adding this feature in the older model Case 580s.

Which hydraulic connection did you use to run the splitter? Does your backhoe have an auxilliary connection or did you use the extendahoe control?

I am curious I have an older 580 with no auxiliary connection

great video
I was wondering which cylinder kit you used they list 3 different ones thanks tim

this Northern Tool Kit

Buzz - The Northern Tool Splitter Kit we ordered was the 4" x 24inch 11 GPM, I think they suggested a 66" beam length min. With shipping it was under $400. If your going to be splitting tough knotty stuff you might go with the 4.5" or 5". The four way worked, we just thought we would stick with the single blade for awhile until we get used to it, they unbolt very easy. We are happy with the kit overall, I think our pump will go 30 GPM on the Backhoe and running 2900 PSI has been no problem.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200326304_200326304

great video
I was wondering which cylinder kit you used they list 3 different ones thanks tim

Wood Pile Growing.

We split today for about 3 hours, that included the time cutting the logs. Hands free again today... getting a pile ready for next year.

split_wood2_400.jpg

Back