Bad chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone ever got a bad chain from the factory? I went to buy a saw chain from a different shop that the one I frequent and the only thing the had in a 84 drive link was a husqvarna skip tooth chain so I picked it up because I was in a pinch and curious. Right from the start I had issues with the bar binding in cut and cutting crooked I was quick to blame the bar being wore out and was on the way to buy a new bar but had an older fellow tell me the bar looked fine to him and pointed out alot of issue with the chain that he was blaming on my sharpening but I had only gently hit the cutters a time or two with a dull file no less.

So today I went by my normal dealer and picked up the stihl chain I typically run and it cuts straight as expected, I have in the past sharpened alot of my own chains and even chains for sharpening challanged friends and unless I was playing around havent ever had this much issue with a chain. Could the one I had be bad from the factory or did the fact it skip play into my difficulties?

Anyone ever got a bad chain from the factory? I went to buy a saw chain from a different shop that the one I frequent and the only thing the had in a 84 drive link was a husqvarna skip tooth chain so I picked it up because I was in a pinch and curious. Right from the start I had issues with the bar binding in cut and cutting crooked I was quick to blame the bar being wore out and was on the way to buy a new bar but had an older fellow tell me the bar looked fine to him and pointed out alot of issue with the chain that he was blaming on my sharpening but I had only gently hit the cutters a time or two with a dull file no less.

So today I went by my normal dealer and picked up the stihl chain I typically run and it cuts straight as expected, I have in the past sharpened alot of my own chains and even chains for sharpening challanged friends and unless I was playing around havent ever had this much issue with a chain. Could the one I had be bad from the factory or did the fact it skip play into my difficulties?
I never had that happen. Sounds like they put the chain together with 2 different pieces of chain take a close look at it.

Yea the top plate angles varied a good bit and one cutter for sure was way shorter than the rest I could measure it a full 1/32 on my little pocket tape.

My wife is extremely confrontational. I could lend her to you for an hour. Guarantee you'd have a few new chains.
I had one like that. I'd be like "it's ok let it go" she'd be like no i'm going to get my pound of flesh. Nine times out of ten she would come out with some free stuff or a replacement. The divorce was brutal let me tell ya!

I have one customer that has a couple of chains he brings in for sharpening- first time i was doing them it was like Huh what broke on the grinder- seems where ever he bought the chains in question they slapped together 3 different makes of 3/8x.050 not only that but about a dozen of the cutters are full chisel while the rest is semi-chisel. fricking nightmare.

What guage is your bar? The binding sounds like a different guage chain than your bar needs. I would measure it up with a caliper and if wrong take it back.

I had one like that. I'd be like "it's ok let it go" she'd be like no i'm going to get my pound of flesh. Nine times out of ten she would come out with some free stuff or a replacement. The divorce was brutal let me tell ya!
likely cost a heck of a lot more than the proverbial pound of flesh- i know mine did

Bar is .050
You've almost definitely got a mismatched piece of chain. Just bring it back and show them, once they see the different cutters they will most certainly make it right with you.

Do the numbers on the side of the drive links vary? IE in Oregon, 72 is .050, 73 is .058.

Latest posts

Back