Bad Dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Woody

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How many of you guys who have had bad experiences with certain dealers (of any brand) due to the hideous customer service or rip-off repair rates have actually witnessed the dealers go out of business?

Unless it is grandpa and he is on the way to the old folks home anyway (not referring to Thall here), my guess is almost none.

If you have seen one go bellyup lets hear about it. The ones I know just keep hanging in there.

A store just up the road from me had been in business for 20 years and serviced everything under the sun... Always had 50 lawn mowers outside, 50 more inside, every brand and age of saw, trimmer, blower, generator etc scattered around his shop, and piles of junkers everywhere... He did sell MTD and another major brand (can't remember) equipment, but once Home Depot and Lowes moved in, the showroom got a lot smaller.

He was a bit of a hack - never did invest in even the simplest tool - sent his Stihl saws to another dealer 13 miles way to get the flywheels pulled for $5 - after prying and bashing didn't work... Most people I talked to thought he as a decent guy and did o.k. work, but it often took months to get done. I went in a few times to buy odd ball parts, and it was obvious he was getting buried in an avalanche of of junk, and there was no sign of "efficiency".

Last January he put up a sign that said (not exact words) - "closing in three weeks, pick up your stuff", and he did. Went to Idaho... Lots of his customers come to me, but we don't do mowers, and..., and... We only fix Stihl, and that makes life soooo much easier..

Don't know exactly why he couldn't make it. He was on the 3rd busiest highway in the state, and in the middle of a large and affluent area. Maybe He'd just had enough.

Unfortunately in large metropolitan areas, it take more than the lack of a smile or a bad attitude to go out of business. There are way too many people that just take their OPE to the nearest store, and most of them will eventually get fixed no matter how bad the service. Most consumers only take their equipment in once in a blue moon anyhow. Pro customers are another issue.

Often the reality is that a store keeps 90% of the customers happy, tweaks 9%, and makes 1% mad. I just made those number up, but... Some guys think my bosss is real PITA, a few will NEVER come back to us, but for the most part the rest are happy. Hey, 5% think we're gods. Oh well..

Very, very, well said Lake. I wish I had the time to mess with this right now, but we had a load of Western plows come in today and were still figuring out where it's gonna go.

Your story is a good example of the futility of trying to be all things to all people. Like you we focus on what's most important for us and our core customers. I don't see how you can be succesfull any other way.

Now, off to the mess outside..........

My local Stihl / Husqvarna dealer would go out of business if not for the lawn mowers, tillers, and other toys he works on. He (actually "they," for a family business) has priced himself out of the market on chainsaws. His prices on parts are hit and miss. Sometimes I get out with the shirt still on my back. He must be a little more reasonable when it comes to service because everyone in the store stays busy. Like I said, he's a Stihl / Husky dealer, but when you ask him which is the best, he'll tell you Dolmar, which makes me think chainsaws aren't his bread and butter.

Big Woody said:
How many of you guys who have had bad experiences with certain dealers (of any brand) due to the hideous customer service or rip-off repair rates have actually witnessed the dealers go out of business?

Unless it is grandpa and he is on the way to the old folks home anyway (not referring to Thall here), my guess is almost none.

If you have seen one go bellyup lets hear about it. The ones I know just keep hanging in there.

Whats that ya say Woody, speak up, I can'ts hears ya,lololol.....................

I thought I might get your attention with that one. :hmm3grin2orange:

You must appreciate the bad dealers since they make the good ones such as yourself that much more loved and respected:bowdown: .

Local Husky dealer has some loyal customers and I was referred to him a few years back, but my experience w/ him was underwhelming. Took my Craftsman 2.3 to him for new fuel line/filter/carb kit and as I always try to make clear I told him I understand the cost of doing business and don't expect to be a priority over his pro customers - just to let me know what kind of timeframe or if they even do this type of work. He said he should have it in a week. I checked back in about 10 days and he hadn't touched it. I said "No problem, when should I come back?" Another week. So I check back in 10-12 days. No touch. He said "Definitely have it next week". I came in. He was out but his wife found the saw and said "He hasn't gotten to it yet." I told her that was o.k. but I'd like to take it with me just the same. She seemed shocked I'd take it w/o having it repaired.

I dropped it at the local Poulan dealer on the way home from there. They called me in about 2 days and said it was ready. $15. That Poulan dealer (oldest shop by far and across the street from the timber operations) is excellent. I just don't have much need of him now and it's a bit of a hike.

Local Stihl dealer is excellent and close.

Chaser

Big Woody said:
I thought I might get your attention with that one. :hmm3grin2orange:

You must appreciate the bad dealers since they make the good ones such as yourself that much more loved and respected:bowdown: .

haha Woody, I knew what you was doing there you sucker,lol. I'm at work right now getting ready to head home. When I get home I'll let you and the rest of the guys in a big secret about dealers in general. I think you will be surprized. See ya in a bit.

BTW Woody I'm getting tired of waxing this damn saw of yours I have up here. I been getting complaints that the shine on it is starting to blind the customers so get up here and get this thing will ya,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

As bad dealers go, I've got one that deals in mostly consumer stuff, with Shindaiwa on the front wall, and a VERY little Jonsered and Dolmar stock, I'd LOVE to know how he stays in business when he doesnt even know how to get what I tell him to get me. probably the only way he stays in business is fixing lawn tractors.

CaseyForrest said:
Speaking of bad dealers, I know one that still hasnt gotten my 009 to me yet. Anyone heard from him??

hehe, Cassey I haven't even took that thing off the shelf since we last spoke about it. I know no more about that saw today than I did months ago. Ya gotta give this ole geezer time to check it out. I should get around to it sometime this year. I know you wants it but considering the price time is of no issue so holds ya water ole feller and be patient. Ya gotta remember I'm a grandpaw Cassey, I'm a slow mover,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

BlueRidgeMark said:
Hey, Casey, whaddaya expect from a mere employee?

:hmm3grin2orange:

lolol, yeah thats right, how dare he expect so much from a ole working man just trying to get enuff money together to get some ammo so I can put food on the table for my 14 youngins, how dare him,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

CaseyForrest said:
Thats no excuse, Stihl sucks and so do all its dealers.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Say ole chap ya gots some baccy a poor man can borrow for his pipe,:hmm3grin2orange:

THALL10326 said:
lolol, yeah thats right, how dare he expect so much from a ole working man just trying to get enuff money together to get some ammo so I can put food on the table for my 14 youngins, how dare him,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

14????? No wonder that hip of yours is act'in up!:D

Latest posts

Back