Bagged me a city boy.Welcome our newest member!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
This is going to be a long post, so have a pot of coffee or a cold beverage of your choice handy.

This past weekend, my wife had invited a woman that she had gone to college with to come up with her husband for a visit.They live in Atlanta,right smack dab in the middle of the city.I groaned, imagining what I am going to do with a city slicker for an entire weekend.

Early Saturday morning, I blew out of the house early, I had a bunch of wood to get in before the rain showed up for this week.Within two hours I was loaded and headed home, just shy of 10AM.

When I pulled into the drive, I noted the BMW parked in the driveway with horror, I had planned on having time to get cleaned up before company arrived, but things just didnt work out that way.

I parked behind the shop, and hauled my gear boxes around the front to put em away, and ran smack into Greg, the husband.

I said, "Howdy!". He smiled, and looked with a little curosity at my toolboxes in hand.I motioned for him to follow me into the shop.
Once inside, he looked around with a look of puzzlement, and asked what happened?

"what do you mean, what happened?"
"Well, are you going to have a garage sale?"
"Nope, this just my stuff.
He wandered around a bit, looking at all the tools, half finished projects, piles of lumber I had milled and asked what in the world is all this stuff for?
I explained that the tools are to work with, the lumber is to build with, and as far as the rest of the stuff......They are going to get done eventually when i get some time.
Then he asked what I had been doing this morning, pointing to my bloodied up eye and pants leg.

"Well, I had been cutting firewood, a favorite passtime of mine. The bloody eye is a reminder, never load from the downhill side of a trailer when you are on a steep hill. I threw a chunk up into the trailer, it bounced back out, and nailed me in the eye.No big deal."
"And the bloody leg?"

"Well, this hear is my lucky pants.I wear em to remind me to be careful, but today they kind of fell down on the job. Chain grabbed a limb on the top side of the bar, and spun my bar on down past my leg.Actuallly comes in handy at times"
"Handy, how is that?"
Well, when I stopped for gas and a drink, I couldnt remember what side of the station I had parked on.I just followed the little trail of red dots back from the register, down past the doritos, two trips around the beef jerky display, along the cooler full of Mt.Dew, and back out the door.Came in real handy."

His eyebrows had meanwhile been creeping up his forehead, and I could tell he was having a hard time digesting this tidbit of info.I motioned for him to follow me back around the shop where I pointed to the trailer piled high with lovely red oak.
there in the back was my line of saws, all lined up ready to be cleaned and put away.

"Wow, you have a lot saws there,but I guess it came in handy to have that many guys sawing wood."
"What are you talking about?I didnt have any help, and I dont let anyone use my saws!"
"Then why do you need more than one?"
I took the time to expain the various reasons as to why you need more than one, most of the reasons lost on deaf ears.He was examing the saws with a great deal of interest at this point.

"wanna try one?"
"um, sure!"
I then dragged him back around the shop, geared him up in all the extra PPE that I had, and trotted back outside and ran smack into the wives who by this time had gotten curious as to what we were up to.
The wife, named Jessica, promptly blew a gasket.There was no way she was going to let her husband anywhere near a death invoking machine like a chainsaw, not while she was alive.My wife asured her that it would be good for Greg to have a go at it.

Part TWO

Part Two

We started out small, gave him the little Echo, worked up to the 455 on small small logs I had laying around, but he just couldnt take his eyes off the 372 with that 28 inch bar.
I finally relented and fired it up for him.
And then he sawed like a madman.Countless rounds dropped off the pile, as fast as I could clear them until his arms were like jello and he had to stop from just pure exhaustion.The grin on his face was priceless.

We finally stopped, Greg cleaned up while I took a shower, and we all decided it might be fun to go to the local fleamarket/farmers market for a bit.
Now, I have long since learned, always take a truck when you to to the fleamarket, but my instincts told me that Jessica would not be impressed with my truck, so I convinced the ladies to take their car, and Greg and I would follow along in the truck.

After Greg climbed in, his nose wrinkled up a good bit, and being polite I asked hime what the deal was.

"Whats that smell?"
"Well, this here is a wood truck, I haul my chainsaws in the backseat sometimes in bad weather.My dog often rides along, in fact you are sitting in her seat right now. Sometimes she breaks wind, and in fact i do myself from time to time.
That really weird smell is a left over lunch that got forgotten in the backseat over a long and hot weekend.Other than that, I have no idea."

We finally arrived at the flea market, the ladies going one way, Greg and I another. After wandering around a bit, and Greg pointing out chainsaw after chainsaw, I finally let him in on the secret to buying a good chainsaw.
"Greg, if you are going to buy a saw, look for orange, or maybe red.Leave anything green alone.they are pure trash, and you wont be happy.All orange generally means Husky, a good saw to look at.Orange and white are okay, but they are only one step above green."
With that in mind, I was proud to see that the next saw he found and pointed out was a nice older Husky55.Then my eyes locked on the treasure.

There, sitting on a trailer behind the tools, was a real nice woodchipper.it was old, had real knives instead of hammers, 10hp briggs with no plastic on it except the gas cap.I tried to act nonchalant, but my pulse was already pounding in my head.
After looking it over, I asked the guy what he wanted for it.
100 bucks.
"Does it run"
Three pulls on the starter rope, and she purred to life.Needless to say, I promptly parted with the cash, pulled the truck around and loaded it up.
Then it was time to meet the girls for lunch, I could hardly contain my excitement over my purchase.

Lunch was at the local Mexican stand, the serve up some good chow, and despite being parked across the picnic table from Jessica, I was enjoying my king sized burrito.Then Jessica blew a gasket again.

"Why do you have to chew with your mouth open?"
"Well, its like this.The farmers at the table next to us generally tell some real good jokes, and I am just staying ready for a good one to come along.I hate laughing with a mouthful, chances are my lunch will end up my nose so its easier to just spit it out.Have you ever dug beef and beans out of your nose?It aint pretty."
Jessica promptly lost her appetite, but out of the corner of my eye I could see Greg doing everything he could to not laugh.But, on the plus side, the farmers dog sure appreciated the rest of jessica's lunch.

I convinced Gregg to head on back to the house, where we cleaned up that chipper, sharpened the knives, put fresh gas and oil in her, and fired her up.then we proceeded to test it out back behind the shop.We started out small, and worked up to some good 4 inch oak branches.It was slow with the big stuff, but I was more than pleased until around the corner came the women.

Now evidently Jessica had other ideas as to what is fun.Her ideas didnt include chipping wood, and she was rather disturbed at the sight of her husband gleefully shoving branches in a device that she was convinced was going to eat her husband at any moment.There was yelling,stomping, and eventually tears so we finally shut down.I explained my latest purchase, and my wife seemed almost as pleased as I was at the purchase, but poor jessica was beside herself.

My wife finally pulled me aside, and confessed that Jessica thought that maybe I was a bad influence on her husband, and that maybe we ought to curtail our entertainment to more low key things like finding a good game on TV or something.The rest of the day was spent laying around watching a few games, much to Jessica's relief.

Sunday morning was a bright and clear day, and I was secretly conspiring to get Gregg out into the truck where maybe we could go cut a bit of wood away from the ever seeing wives eyes, and really enjoy the day.I was actually starting to like the guy.

I was eating my breakfast like I always do, in my easy chair watching the news when Gregg came wandering upstairs.
"What are you doing?"
"eating breakfast, what do you think?"
"From that?"pointing at my cereal cup.
Well, i guess it looked a little odd to him.I pour my cereal in a quartz sized paint mixing cup that I get from Lowes, and eat it that way.You dont have to worry about sloshing milk out of the bowl.the clear sides work great for measuring the milk, you dont have to keep pouring milk until it overflows the cereal.
I also eat with a larg mixing spoon, it saves time.I find that I can eat far faster than the average spoon can haul cereal to my mouth.I have better things to do with my time than eat breakfast.

I convinced him to give it a try, and had Gregg sitting comfortably in the other easy chair eating his mini wheats when his darling wife made her appearance.She even had her makeup on, and it was only 7AM.

It took several looks from Jennica for her to realize what Gregg was doing,what he was doing it with, and who had put him up to it. My wife heard the screech from our room, and the dog scurried under the couch for cover.
I was midly impressed with the volume that woman could kick out really.Gregg was less impressed.Maybe he had heard it before.

The rest of the visit I will leave up to your imagination.Last night as we were getting ready for bed the phone rang.After a few brief words, my wife retreated to the kitchen for nearly an hour, saying very little and doing more listening.

Evidently, poor old Gregg had done a lot of daydreaming on that drive back to Atanta.He calculated how much he could save on the electric bill by installing a wood stove.Figured out to the penny how much he would have to spend on gear from the Bailey's catalogs that I had thoughtfully given to him before he left.:planned on selling that gas hog SUV of theirs, and maybe buy a pickup.Determined once he got back to his house he would have just enough room in the backyard for 4 cords of wood if the removed the fancy swing by the back deck.I even gave him the URL to this website!

Everyone, welcome your new member!

Last edited:
Now that has got to be one of the most entertaining posts I've ever read. Too bad there wasn't more....I was glued to every word!

If the next gal I date doesn't come with her own rod & reel she's hittin the road!

Thanks Avalancher...you done good!

Haha...I liked that post! Glad my wife doesn't resemble "Jessica" as that would get old real quick. My wife grew up in a family who burned wood to stay warm. She's helping me tomorrow split a couple cord of wood. :clap:

Ha! Mine came with a rod real and 4wd, but i'll be damned if I can get her to take the fish off the hook. Although the last week we spent in the mountains she did catch the bigger fish. But I liken that to the fact that she was reading and not fishing.I guess you take the good with the bad and hope for improvement with age!

To bad you couldn't have got so pictures of Jessica. Would have loved to been there when she caught him with the saw in hand. So when is the next visit?

To bad you couldn't have got so pictures of Jessica. Would have loved to been there when she caught him with the saw in hand. So when is the next visit?

The next vist will no doubt be by Gregg by himself.I am sure Jessica will calm down, but she left my wife with the lasting impression that the minute a chainsaw shows up at the house, she is leaving.
Kinda too bad really,she would look pretty cute in PPE!

Haha...I liked that post! Glad my wife doesn't resemble "Jessica" as that would get old real quick. My wife grew up in a family who burned wood to stay warm. She's helping me tomorrow split a couple cord of wood. :clap:

Me too, my wife was running Bobcat with grapple bucket at a land clearing we were doing, she figured Scott and I cut twice as much if she pulled trees out.:clap:

great story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bet the first thing he did when he got home was going in her closet and got that mason jar down from the top shelf and got his balls back.

i hope the divorce leaves him enough to buy a saw.

Great story!!! :clap::clap::clap:
Never looked up although my wife called me a few times! ;)

Latest posts

Back