Bailey's has had a data/security breach. Update!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My card has been replaced 4 or 5 times in the past 5 years or so because of a data breech (3 times just last year). Baileys is the first company to contact me to let me know there was a problem.
I'm not happy about lax security, but if I quit doing business with every company that has had a breach I probably wouldn't be able to buy anything from anyone, couldn't deal with the Federal government and would have to give up my Georgia drivers license.
And certainly wouldn't use any Microsoft products. Oh, wait.....:)

I got an Email yesterday which was the first notification of the breach they directly informed me about. I feel for them getting hacked but they have dealt with the issue badly, too little too late. I have cancelled my card, and cancelled my account with them.

I submitted a question about an item to Baileys website yesterday. Next thing I noticed was that my personal email account was shut down. Called my provider and they told me I had been hacked and that spam was being sent from my account in extremely large amounts which triggered the shutdown of my account. Now, here's where it gets interesting. I put 2+2 together last night. I had used the exact same password for my Baileys account that I had used for my personal email account. I had to sign in to Baileys....which means I had typed my password into their site. I also had to type in my personal email. This smells of a keystroke tracking software program. 99% of the time this hacking program fails as most sensible people (unlike myself evidently) will not use the same password for their email account and Baileys account. But since I had indeed used the same password...the hacking program successfully hacked my email and went to work. That's my theory!!! I can't prove it, but I am going to present this theory to Baileys later this morning during my lunch break. Problem may be at their end....or could be at mine. I just find it interesting that the last two times I have been hacked have both happened at about the same time I was on their site. One caused me to change passwords and the other resulted in me receiving brand new credit cards with new numbers. Both of which could have happened due to a hacker using a keystroke tracking program. I will do my due diligence on my end to not let this happen again. If the problem is at Baileys, I hope they catch that hacker soon!!!!

I am in the same boat, Credit Card hacked multiple times last year even with chips and one time it was not even activated. Then a couple of data breaches along the way from other vendors, this resulted in each one providing free credit monitoring. Then comes the alert from Bailey's I contact them and the individual I talked to did not seem to concerned and when asked about credit monitoring it was like oh they did not get the important information that requires companies to provide credit monitoring.

While I think you're correct regarding the use of your password for both accounts, given the repeat scenario you've had, rd35, it sounds to me like Bailey's server is still compromised, and the hackers still own it. BUT, run a deep scan with an anti-malware program of your computer, in case you do have a problem on your end. Hopefully you do have such a program on your machine. After you're done, run another AM program, from one of the online sources. Then, run another. Most of the big companies have that available, for free. Look at Bitdefender, Kaspersky, etc. These do not typically run deep scans, though, so take less time. You can also download Malwarebytes for free, and run it, though the paid version is more complete. It's gonna' take quite a bit of time to do all this, unfortunately. Sucks, I know.

around 15 years ago i had a company mastercard that i used to buy parts and supplies for a tree service. 90% of my business was with baileys. telephone and online orders, the other 10% local saw shops that at the time actually stocked replacement parts. one afternoon the owner's wife asked me if i had used the card for a $1500 purchase, not tree service related. it was right after i had ordered from baileys. i always figured it was a dishonest or disgruntled employee. never used the card again after that. about the same time, i typed "sling" into their search box, looking for a 4" nylon sling for lowering heavy oak rounds. up popped pages of gun related items. i discovered baileys has a sideline business that they prefer to keep under the radar. i still occasionally purchase from them but i use an anonymous debit card. also, they haven't been the same since they moved to sacramento and screwed over their employees. i recently talked with the tree service owner by telephone and warned him that he should check his credit card statement. his response, "i don't deal with baileys anymore." didn't ask him to explain that.

i am one of those who got their first communication regarding the hack from baileys a couple of days ago even though it started, they claim, in 2011. no offers of assistance in determining if i have a problem. sherills and madsens are looking better every day. remember what "yahoo" means. you always have other options.

While I think you're correct regarding the use of your password for both accounts, given the repeat scenario you've had, rd35, it sounds to me like Bailey's server is still compromised, and the hackers still own it. BUT, run a deep scan with an anti-malware program of your computer, in case you do have a problem on your end. Hopefully you do have such a program on your machine. After you're done, run another AM program, from one of the online sources. Then, run another. Most of the big companies have that available, for free. Look at Bitdefender, Kaspersky, etc. These do not typically run deep scans, though, so take less time. You can also download Malwarebytes for free, and run it, though the paid version is more complete. It's gonna' take quite a bit of time to do all this, unfortunately. Sucks, I know.

That sounds like what I did on my home desktop system. Both our MasterCard & Visa cards were hacked within a 2-3 week period, so I suspected a keylogger on my home system. This was before Baileys announced their breach. My home system scanned "clean" by multiple programs. Oh well.....it's just money...and time...and personal info stolen...and...

We're all constantly told in the media and by HR people and internet security updates to occasionally change our passwords for safety. Simple tasks but frustrating at times. What I see here is a company that decided somewhere along the way that it was probably too expensive to upgrade their own software and security so, oh well, let the customers deal with it. We'll tell them it happened (after a few months) but we'll let them deal with the costs associated with the breach.:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back