Bandit 65 28hp diesel vs gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCbound

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wondering how the performance of a diesel(28hp) stalks up against the gas version? I'm talking about a bandit 65. Besides fuel cost is there a big difference when it comes to chipping?

Thanks

Wish I had a diesel on my 13 year old Bandit 65 I just last re powered it with a new CS 25 Kolher its great really goes well but a diesel gotta be even better. But very hard to justify the extra $ bucks.
Now I need a new auto feed controller the old one just about dead only works when it wants to. I may post a wanted second hand as new last time I asked was ridiculous $1000 bucks so I fixed it with a 70 cent diode.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=2454853#post2454853

You did not state which gas engine and which diesel. I will assume that the gas engine would be a 25 HP Kohler and the diesel is a 28 HP Lombardini. Not only is the diesel much more fuel efficient it has a bunch more torque. Only 3 HP difference but the Kohler has 40 foot pounds torque, Diesel is 60 foot pounds of torque. diesel will out last 3 Kohlers. More money but worth it.

Good info guys. Just wanted to make sure the price difference is worth it. Still hunting as the price is 9000.00 Canadian. It is a newer machine 2006. I have found a few older, bigger models, just in poor looking shape(cheap). The hunt will continue, I'm going to take a look at the 6" diesel in a few days.

Thanks

Wondering how the performance of a diesel(28hp) stalks up against the gas version? I'm talking about a bandit 65. Besides fuel cost is there a big difference when it comes to chipping?

Thanks

I can't comment on the 65 but I have a 90 that had a Wisconsin (the most efficient gas engine i ever owned ..... efficient at burning large amounts of fuel in a short amount of time !) .
I made an older 50hp Kabota fit and it's a totally different machine , 20.00$$ a day in diesel versus the 120.00$$ plus I could run through in gas .

:cheers:

Sound good Duncan. I picked up a Model 90 for a little over $1,000 a couple of months ago and have a 48 Kobota I'd like to put on it. It came with a dead Wisconsin.

Got any photos you'd like to share of your work? Did you put in a clutch? Mine in direct connected from the engine to the disc....via a belt system of course.

Dancan ,Duncan , close enough , just don't call me late for supper !:)

I basically had the same setup and not much money to work with so I took the wisconsin out and then did a lot of head scratching .
I had no clutch and parts to scrounge up around here are either expensive or non existent , so I decided to go with the same setup that the wisconsin used , I had a machinist make a plate with a shaft that bolted in the flywheel and reused the original pulley and the same belts .
I made some motor mounts brackets that fit the motor and the original adjusters and set the rear of the engine as far back as I could so the pulley would be as close to the flywheel (if there was an issue with deflection the shaft was long enough to install a steady bearing ) .
I then cut out the original front adjuster mount and bolted it up to my front mounts , made sure everything looked square with the Mark 1 eyeball and welded it back on the frame . Having the adjustable mounts working is important for belt alignment and make sure the motor is level , the mounts and pulley will let you get alignment .
I made a frame from square tubing to make a cover a hold the rad and panel .
The belt cover still fits with a few new brackets .
I reused the gas tank by cleaning it out and welding in a nipple for the return .
Starting the direct drive is no different than the wisconsin was.
I've put about 280 hours on it since I converted it and have had no issues that weren't easily solved but there are a few things that I would change ,
1 - Rubber motor mounts for the motor
2 - Mount the rad better than I did .

If I had to do it again I might go with a Deutz air cooled diesel and could have saved the Kabota to power a nice boat :laugh: .

Hope this helps send me a pm if you have any questions .

:cheers:

I have a 90xp with the Deutz air cooled diesel. It's a conversion and also added a clutch. It is only a 6" but with the diesel power and sharp teeth this thing turns heads. I believe the Deutz is rated at 42hp but the torque of the diesel is great. And very good on fuel consumption. Added a fitting for the return also...

Latest posts

Back