bar and chain 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftovercrack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
long time lurker never really post

i need a good setup for my firewood saw. Just got a grapple (hardwood) and some logs are a little bigger than i would have wished. There are about three or four in 25"-30" range. I would like a 24" bar and chain. i checked some of the sponsor's sites but im not sure if the combos come with the right type of chain im looking for.

any recommendations.

Thanks guys

Bailey's

Check the sponsors on this site, which you probably already have. I've dealt with Amick's and Bailey's and both are excellent.

If you check out bars at Bailey's once you click on a particular brand and model they will have the selection by saw (mounting pattern/style). For your saw you would look for Dolmar/Makita at Bailey's. Here is an Oregon bar made to fit your saw:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=ORPM+24+HU50&catID=694

As for chain, you can pick the type you want - maybe semi- or full chisel? At the top of the bar description you will see that this bar calls for 84 links of 3/8" (.375) x .050 gauge chain. You can find the proper chain again by searching within their site - Woodland Pro is their house brand and is very good chain. They also carry Oregon brand chain which is also good. If they don't have a loop in your size you can order by the number of links. I have a 6401 and mine came with 3/8" x .050 gauge. If yours did, then this is what you want to stick with, unless you want to change out your sprocket. Simple is usually better.

MarkG

thanks man big help.
yes simple is better. now excuse me i need to buck up about 8 cords

Anyone on in north east mass need a cheap cord

Sent a PM about the set-up. Good luck by the way. Would have to say though, in hardwood, the 6401 would like a 28 with skip before a 24 with full-comp... Just throwing it out there.

Jason

why go to a 24" bar? if a few trees are over 24" you have to cut from both sides anyway, so your better off with A 20" bar. the saw is better balanced.

why go to a 24" bar? if a few trees are over 24" you have to cut from both sides anyway, so your better off with A 20" bar. the saw is better balanced.

you might be right

but it would be nice to have another bar and chain setup just in case.
i'll probably get a skip tooth 24" bar setup.

thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back