Bar Dressing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveStihlQuality

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just curious who dresses chainsaw bars? How and with what products? I have quite a few that I don't use but can't throw em out. Thanks for the advice? PS they are almost all Stihl ES bars.

LoveStihlQuality

You can dress them with a simple flat file, raker files do a decent job. I use a round scotch brite abraisive pad on my die grinder, I've found that to be the best for knocking down burrs. If the rails need a more serious treatment a round stone on die grinder at 90° gets them flat. You should not feel any burrs on edges and a bar should be able to stand up on its side on a flat surface and not fall over. Even sandpaper can be used if resources are limited. Learn to do it as its basic chainsaw maintenence, driving to a dealer to dress a bar is well a little bit silly.

Next time I'm at a bar, my only wish is to find a chainsaw with a dress.

busty-girl-santa-dress-posing-chainsaw-young-woman-48786104.jpg

we have a combination belt/disc sander at work that works pretty well. depending on how bad rails are splayed, ive used a pair of pliers to get it close enough.

Make u a gauge out of plastic shim stock the size u want your bar groove and close it with a mallet. I cant remember the thickness of my gsugrs but they are slightly thicker than the drive link,,, helps keep from going to far.

I have one of those valbore dressers for the top of thr rails ... But i made one out of an old square and a broken file. I use a sanding flap disc om my sidegrinder for edge burs

I use a belt disk sander. 12" disk and 6" x 48" belt. Works great for dressing bars. Takes about 5 to 7 minutes to fix up one that's pretty worn. If they're square, they'll stand on edge on the sander's table even with it running.

I've never closed a bar groove. Usually the groove is not pried open but is "worn". Dressing the bar helps because you're grinding off the wide part of the groove but one can only remove a certain amount of material before the groove is too shallow for the drive links.

Thanks. What's best if bar groove gets splayed out a bit?

LoveStihlQuality
Brass hammer with a piece of metal stock that matches the gauge between the rails. I prefer that to the rail closers, stihl used to sell a rail closing piece that fit between the rails in correct gauge when they specified brass hammer repair. But that was may years ago, I still do it the old fashioned way.

Just curious who dresses chainsaw bars? How and with what products? I have quite a few that I don't use but can't throw em out. Thanks for the advice? PS they are almost all Stihl ES bars.

LoveStihlQuality

For neglected bars the vertical belt sander is the way to go. For touch ups I just clamp the bar in a vise and use a large flat file and draw file it, I do this after a few sharpening when I have the bar off to clean out the groove and flip it.

Back