Bar File Guides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have just started to sharpen my chains by hand...not bad but could be doing better. I have seen a few threads, but I see on eBay a SHARPBOY Precision File Guide GB-2054 for $25 plus $8 for shipping. This one looked pretty solid but I wanted to get some feedback. Also, there is an OREGON PROFESSIONAL BAR-MOUNT CHAINSAW FILE GUIDE for $34 plus $7 for shipping. Which one would be better or another that people would recommend that does the tooth and rackers?
Chainsaws are addicting and my AA budies are starting to look at me funny... I get to go pick up my dads old homelite and start to work on getting it back into running shape.... it is old red with a green handle if I remember correctly.... It should be a fun project... Haven't told the wife yet :)

Evin said:
I have just started to sharpen my chains by hand...not bad but could be doing better.
The big mistake most hand filers, filing freehand, make is to look down at the cutter as they file.
This will sound funny, but what you need to do is think about the side plate of the cutter as you file.
The side plate angle is called th hook angle. If the hook is right, the rest of it will follow. Do a search on "hook", or "hook angle" and you'll likely find some pictures of what hook angles should look like.
If you file and the side plate looks like the letter "C" you have too much hook. If it's tipping more towards the letter "U", you're doing better.
Forget the expensive file guides. Go to the Oregon website and look at the cheapo snap on the file guides. They work great and only cost about $3.

The Husky Roller guide works sweet for me when Im away from my bench file guide.

I tried one of the Oregon bar mount guides. I would recommend you not waste your money on that.

Mike gave you some good info there.

I must be the exception here, I got an oregon from Freak, I really like it on the 32" bar, makes it easy to touch up the chain without working to hard to do it
Andy

I had the Oregon version of that file-n-joint. I never could figure out how to keep a consistent angle. The angle depended on getting it clamped onto the bar the exact same way every time. Now if it were bench mounted with a locking rail that the chain rode in like the bench grinders have... seems like I've seen one like that somewhere. I think I'd like that better than the HF grinder I've been using.

Ian

Use your hands and eyes, its all you need, oh yeah, a file too. I started before the angle line was put in chains, its practice, thats all, you can do it. What you gonna do if you lose your guide? Its like training wheels on a bike, not really needed after a while.

here's my hand sharpening rig... got a chain grinder too, but seldom use it.

my favorite is an old homelite file holder, in picture on right.
Stihl clamp on the bar tool works really well too.

I like clamping entire saw in a solid vise, then tighten up chain to reduce chain slop when filing. need to fabricate a split bar to really hold chain still while filing and allow the stihl clamp tool to work.

top is the stihl tool and bottom is the Oregon version

chain sharpener.JPG

clearance said:
Use your hands and eyes, its all you need, oh yeah, a file too. I started before the angle line was put in chains, its practice, thats all, you can do it. What you gonna do if you lose your guide? Its like training wheels on a bike, not really needed after a while.

Thanks I thought I was doing something wrong for awhile. I never owned any of those training wheel things.
Not trying to be smart.
Like mike said look at the hook. Next time you buy a new chain look close at the hook and just try to do the same. The clip on guide does help you from fileing to deep as you learn. After a while you will be cleaning out the gullet.
look how the side edge stops the the bottom when the gullet starts

manual said:
Thanks I thought I was doing something wrong for awhile. I never owned any of those training wheel things.
Not trying to be smart.
Like mike said look at the hook. Next time you buy a new chain look close at the hook and just try to do the same. The clip on guide does help you from fileing to deep as you learn. After a while you will be cleaning out the gullet.
look how the side edge stops the the bottom when the gullet starts

Also get a short section of new chain so you have a new sample to refer to. After you file a chain a couple times, the side hook tends to grow - at least it does for me.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back