bar fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just picked up a like new 16" total bar 3/8-50, the guy said it's been laying around his garage for 10 years and he wasn't sure what it was for but he did have John Deere saws back then.
I find it will fit a large husky saw but the sprocket end of the bar is a bit wider than the d0009, can I expect any problem with this? anybody know?

John

Many John Deere saws were made by Echo. As Stihlbillie said, check the oil hole and be sure it lines up with the oiler slot on the case. Also, be sure the bar's slot is the same as the bar studs. It's amazing how many bars do not fit as you go from one saw to the next. Ask Oregon.

Wider end is better for bore cutting but also has a higher kick back potential which is why so many bars have narrow tips these days. May take a different dl chain too.

Ok, I guess I wasn't clear, I apoligize, I meant the drive end or tail end of the bar, it is about 1/8" wider on each side and I'm wondering what effect this has on anything.

John

I think when you said sprocket end in your OP, the guys thought you meant roller nose end, also commonly called sprocket nose. If the oil hole on the bar aligns with the oiler slot on the saw's case, you should be OK. Note that you do NOT want this to occur:

This saw's bar received less than half the oil from the pump. Note the misalignment as shown by the worn paint.

It depends on how the chain positions itself when in use with a specific number of drive links and choice of sprocket. If the bar in the picture was shorter at the rear the width would be reported wider. The chain might not even contact in the very end. Upon looking at the bar after some use it is possible to determine contact area on the tension an slack sides. The problem would be on the slack side if any.

Guys, I allready said the bar fits, I'm not interested in where the oil hole is, that can be fixed with a drill or grinder anyway, I just would like some input on the effects of the larger tail on saw performance, thanks in advance.

John

Guys, I allready said the bar fits, I'm not interested in where the oil hole is, that can be fixed with a drill or grinder anyway, I just would like some input on the effects of the larger tail on saw performance, thanks in advance.

John
If the bar fits. Fire that some beech up and runner.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

The only effect I would see by the wider tail is how the chain comes down around the sprocket. I would put on your brand bar you usually use and inspect and then install that bar and do the same, examining if it changes how many teeth engage on the sprocket. Don't bite my head off if that's NOT what you are saying, but as for effecting performance I don't believe it would have ANY, because your not changing the sprocket size.

Thanks Guys, it looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't know. Nobody even thought to ask wottenell are you doing with a 16" bar on a large Husky, But thats another can a worms, but it is relevant I'm done now.

John

I just picked up a like new 16" total bar 3/8-50, the guy said it's been laying around his garage for 10 years and he wasn't sure what it was for but he did have John Deere saws back then.
I find it will fit a large husky saw but the sprocket end of the bar is a bit wider than the d0009, can I expect any problem with this? anybody know?

John

The problem on here in the last several yrs is guys read a bit of a post or skim over it fast and go right to commenting.

I had no trouble understanding what the op was asking.

Red--- It fits his saw.
Blue-- Real clear he is talking about the tail of the bar. d0009 is where the bar mounts.
Green- The only part he needs an answer to.

old guy, it will run fine. The only thing that will happen is it will wear on the rails at that point a bit more.

Attacking users is not acceptible. Please edit your message or delete it. You have been warned and any further attacks will limit your access to this site.
Why the combative attitude, when your asking for FREE advise? We are only trying to help. Maybe change your name to Crankyoldguy.
Or mean old bastard.

-chimpboy

Thank you Super 3, that's the kind of answer I was looking for, my thought too about beating the tail of the bar, and how much power it will rob, this will be on a ported 365 so maybe I can run an 8 pin rim. thanks again

John

Back