Bar oil and gloves question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If history repeats itself, you will get flamed. Next time you're cutting with used bar oil think about the lack of tacky's in motor oil and how much combustion byproducts are misted into the air. May as well suck on an exhaust pipe. What's your health worth?

I prefer to just pay the price for a quality bar oil. Sometimes you can skimp and sometimes it's not worth it. It's an individual choice.

I didn't even think of this part of it. Thanks you for your responce

Scott

veggie oil from Sam's is $13 for 5gals...

been using kevlar work gloves

i use 50 weight engine oil (new) or any sort of gear oil. happen to get it from work but chances are u know someone who can get their hands on bulk oil like that.no damage noticed yet to chains or bars. the best gloves ive ran across are made by snap on tools they are their hd models. a pair is usually good for most of a season but theyre no good in cold weather.

I know I am going to get flamed for this. A lot of people I know just use used motor oil. I have Used motor in a pinch. I know it's harder on the bar and chain. Here is my thinking. If you can get a cheap bar for $10-$15 woun;t it be more cost effective to use motor oil even if it wears the bar out sooner. After 3-5 gallons (depending on name brand) you have paid for the bar. So anything after that amount is money in my pocket. I know when you run the bigger bars it's harder on them. Just wondering how much it effects a 16inch bar and if it's worth it.

Scott

Your good with math, that is a huge plus in any business! :cheers:

The payoff would be if you could double component life with bar oil.

Just for a say, Take a good quality bar, a few rim sprockets and maybe what, 10 - 12 chains, or for the say, say $275 - $300 bucks. that would be my from the hip guess before your looking at completely shot parts running drain oil.

Say your wearing out the heel of the cutter, bar rails and nose-sprocket at the same time the cutter of all the chains are to thin, and replacing the drive sprocket as soon as it gets "hoppey" saving that money on oil, or about 50 gallons of oils worth is your pay off,

IOW , you would need to get like 20 or more wore out chains per bar before you come ahead with good bar oil,,,,, I'm very sure your ahead of the curve.

For me, I would just rather milk the most life out of the components, things just run smoother, and live with out the smell of drain-oil

Your good with math, that is a huge plus in any business! :cheers:

Just for a say, Take a good quality bar, a few rim sprockets and maybe what, 10 - 12 chains, or for the say, say $275 - $300 bucks.

I usually only go through 2 maybe 3 chains a year. I'll get 25-30 cords from a chain if there is not much dirt on the wood.

But I see your point.

Scott

Whatever potential money you think you are saving by using used motor oil, you might be wise to put in the piggy bank for your future chemotherapy bill.:rock:

I've been saving the drippings from one of the lube oil reel banks at the auto shop that I work at. It consists of a mixture of 10-30 Mobil, 20-50 Castrol, Dexron VI automatic transmission fluid, and Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil. It's all fresh unused oil, just all mixed together. It works great for me and the price is right since it would just be collected and poured into the used oil tank if I didn't find a use for it.

For splitting I really like Ringers Impact gloves with the gel padding in the palms. They don't hold up so well when stacking wood though.

I use Stihl bar oil, I don't care about the price for it I like the way it works.

I use Stihl leather gloves when I am sawing and use Carhartt gloves for handling, splitting and stacking wood. They are $7.95 a pair and tough as nails, plus they come in S-M-L so you can get a pair that fits you 'like a glove'. I am on my 3rd season with my Carhartt gloves.
The cheap ones in Walmart, HD and Lowe's never seem to fit right and fall apart.

Last edited:
Gloves!!

Man, a whole thread on gloves!! I use the rubber dipped ones, come cheap! via work. anyway seem to last a fair lenght of time and can even get fleece lined ones for the winter.

If this keeps going we are going to need a whole lot of 12 steps! chainsaws, wood piles, blah blah blah!!

:clap:

Back