Bar Paint Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are there any good at-home ways to compeletely remove paint from a bar, apart from using the wire wheel on the grinder?

Buy some "STRIP-EZE" From your local paint or hardware store. It comes in a WATERBORNE (the main ingredient is H2O) base that is totally environmentally friendly.
UH OH!!!! Will I catch hell from the PROS on this one.LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

That's why I still run HUSKYS

I've never found much that will take the epoxy varnish "paint" off a Stihl bar...

A self feed rotary drum sander (woodworking tools) work great... and you can adjust is by 1000ths of an inch. Makes your bar look like new (well, new steel).

On a "race saw" taking the paint off makes the bar a tiny little bit thinner. With race chain cutting a narrower kerf than regular woods chain the narrow bar is less likely to hang in a cut. I used a random orbit sander on a few bars and a very thin coat of clear just because I like the look ( I am officialy nuts ) .

Sedanmans reason makes good sense. for stripping the paint off, I like to use a belt sander, then after that, I like to use a little wax on the bar to shine it up a little bit.

turnkey4099 said:
I find painting a racing stripe on it works just as well and isn't as much work.:)

Harry K

Should the stripe be with the long or short axis of the bar? Wouldn't want to slow the saw down by using the wrong orientation...

Chaser

sedanman said:
On a "race saw" taking the paint off makes the bar a tiny little bit thinner. With race chain cutting a narrower kerf than regular woods chain the narrow bar is less likely to hang in a cut. I used a random orbit sander on a few bars and a very thin coat of clear just because I like the look ( I am officialy nuts ) .

Look at sedanman's saw. You have to have a good looking bar with a saw like that. I thought everyone else was milling them like I do. Not my bit so the paint doesn't matter.

Sedanman is it ok to copy your double barrel exhaust I really want to bad.

Fred

Back