Bar Paint Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firewoodster

Firewoodster

ArboristSite Lurker
Buy some "STRIP-EZE" From your local paint or hardware store. It comes in a WATERBORNE (the main ingredient is H2O) base that is totally environmentally friendly.
UH OH!!!! Will I catch hell from the PROS on this one.LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

That's why I still run HUSKYS

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
I've never found much that will take the epoxy varnish "paint" off a Stihl bar...

A self feed rotary drum sander (woodworking tools) work great... and you can adjust is by 1000ths of an inch. Makes your bar look like new (well, new steel).

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
On a "race saw" taking the paint off makes the bar a tiny little bit thinner. With race chain cutting a narrower kerf than regular woods chain the narrow bar is less likely to hang in a cut. I used a random orbit sander on a few bars and a very thin coat of clear just because I like the look ( I am officialy nuts ) .

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sedanmans reason makes good sense. for stripping the paint off, I like to use a belt sander, then after that, I like to use a little wax on the bar to shine it up a little bit.

wagonwheeler

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
turnkey4099 said:
I find painting a racing stripe on it works just as well and isn't as much work.:)

Harry K

Should the stripe be with the long or short axis of the bar? Wouldn't want to slow the saw down by using the wrong orientation...

Chaser

Mr.

being watched
sedanman said:
On a "race saw" taking the paint off makes the bar a tiny little bit thinner. With race chain cutting a narrower kerf than regular woods chain the narrow bar is less likely to hang in a cut. I used a random orbit sander on a few bars and a very thin coat of clear just because I like the look ( I am officialy nuts ) .

Look at sedanman's saw. You have to have a good looking bar with a saw like that. I thought everyone else was milling them like I do. Not my bit so the paint doesn't matter.

Sedanman is it ok to copy your double barrel exhaust I really want to bad.

Fred

Latest posts