Bar problem or chain problem?? help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlboy

Guess who's back
Reaction score
well i got out the farmboss and it was cutting like crap, sharp chain but it still wouldnt cut it only would cut near the nose of the bar. the middle of the bar and it would bog badly and refused to cut, near the power head it barely cut. so i went to a local stihl dealer and forked over $100 for a new 18'' farm boss bar and 2 rsc chains. After replacing bar and chain it cut like a hot knife in butter... but the next day when i wasn't home my dad got it out and used it. when i got home i said i was going to start sawing thats when he said "ohh you need to sharpen the chain because i used it today". I went ape s#!% on him the chain i bought doesn't get dull easily i had cut down a tree and cut it up and it was still razor sharp.. so i go and open up the saw case to find the chain is extremely loose and every cutter tooth has it's corner broken off, the saw is really dusty because he is so stupid that he will saw into the dirt and not care about it i know the chain had been ran loose because that b&c had almost no side to side movement and now it is doing the same thing the old bar did. I am very upset because I am cutting wood for a living and he "raped my saw" so i can't cut much of anything it took over an hour to cut a tree down that should have taken 30 minutes at a maximum. I don't know what to do.i have 4 bars that do this how can i fix them? or Can i fix them

Have you tried to turn up the bar oil screw?I had a farmboss with the same chain and it had the same problem :cry: and letting a little more oil get on the bar seemed to help.I eventually found out though that the saw was just underpowered and went on to using bigger saws.What type of wood are you cutting?

Did you re-sharpen yourself, with a hand file, or grinder? It sounds like the teeth on the chain are lopsided. The left teeth are bigger than the right teeth, or vise versa.

The chain is pulling to the left, or right, and binding.

Just to be safe, pull the bar off and put it on a know flat surface. If it sits flat, then the bar is most likely fine.

Basically, I don’t think it’s the bar, I think it’s poor chain sharpening.

hardwoods because i am selling firewood the tree it will not cut is an old ash that died but was still standing so it is pretty dry and i think my oiler is at max

Did you re-sharpen yourself, with a hand file, or grinder? It sounds like the teeth on the chain are lopsided. The left teeth are bigger than the right teeth, or vise versa.

The chain is pulling to the left, or right, and binding.

Just to be safe, pull the bar off and put it on a know flat surface. If it sits flat, then the bar is most likely fine.

Basically, I don’t think it’s the bar, I think it’s poor chain sharpening.

i hand sharpen chains using an angle gauge and i take pride in my chains

p.s. it acts this way with a new chain too... could guide wear be a possible cause

The only way it could do that if the bar is flat, is the chain channel is crushed. Take a piece of aluminum sheet that will just snuggly fit in the channel and go around the bar to see if it binds anywhere. And put a straight edge across the bar to see if the edge of the bar (channel area) is bent up or down.

File the chains beyond the damage (and even on both sides), and true up the rails of the bar if needed - there is no magic to this......:confused:

Turn the bar over each time you sharpen the chain.

Take the bar and chain in question to your dealer and ask him for his opinion on trueness of bar and sharpening job. If he's a good dealer he should be able to help you out w/ what's wrong, or where you can improve upon your sharpening technique.
Without pictures not sure how much we can be of assistance.

Stihlboy, sounds like your dad wallered out the bar rails. Check to se how much side to side play the chain has in the bar groove. If you have a caliper measure the bar groove inside width it should only be a few thousands over the chain gauge.

My younger brother is the same way, you could hand him a brand new bar and chain and 10 minutes later it will be smoking and cutting crooked :dunno: not sure what the :censored: he does to'em but it don't take him long.

Check your bar rails with a square to see if one side is higher than the other, might have to file them back to square.

Check your cutters to make sure they are the same length from one side to the other... and check your raker height, if you had to remove a lot of material to get it back to sharp you will have to lower the rakers to the proper depth.

my new 066

ok well as most of you know my dad likes to cut wood like myself, but he rapes the hell out of them rendering a brand new b&c usless in one day... i ripped him a new one after what he did to my new bar and chain.... well since he decreased my productivity..... i made him pay.... big......... like an 066magnum big! ohh yeah he got me an 066 on ebay for $600. i got such a big saw so it will make him think twice before taking it out to cut... his back can barely take the farmboss so i doubt he will take it out but, if he does im sure after taking it out once his back wont let him take it out ever again.:check: :clap:

Latest posts

Back