Bar Reconditioning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscSawFan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I didn't see any posts dealing with this so I'll ask...

I've got my hands on an Oregon bar but the rails are flared open a bit more than tolerable. The tops of the rails could use some truing as well. I'm wondering if there's some reference or suggestions as to how to recondition this bar? Or is it not worth it? Anyone have tip when they've done it?

Naturally most places are saying to buy a new bar...but that defeats the free bar goodness. :)

Thanks.

They make a tool to squeeze the rails back together. Mr. Snelling posted a thread on doing that a while back. A number of ways to true the bar.... a stationary disc sander with and accurate table on it is like ly the easiest. I usually just do it with a file for light dressing and groove removal. Others will be along to actually explain the process. Good luck!

Any belt or disk sander that has a table that is dead on 90 degrees to the belt will work.

Bill

If the rails are flared you can beat them back true with a decent sized hammer.Place the bar flat on a hard surface and beat away but stay away from the first few inches of the drive end and the tip.I was surprised how hard you have to hit but start gentle and work up. Keep checking how it's going by eye and checking the gap with either feeler guages or a new chain of the right guage.(You may get it too tight with an old one to be able to fit a new chain when the time comes). File or grind it square after.

It's only a temporary fix though as the bar is worn out really.

Last edited:
Good to know. I think I may try to get it shaped up and see how it looks. It's not going to see a ton of use, more of a spare bar. And its better to get the some practice doing this stuff on something you're not worried about messing up. I was just seeing how others would recommend proceeding or if there some source of proper methods for doing this. Thanks for the advise.

Latest posts

Back