Baraboo Wis. old saw contest new video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just giving a heads-up on this years old saw contest at Baraboo. Rules are the same as last year, and we're adding a class, vintage direct drive 5.0 cu and under.
August 19,20, and 21. Old saw display and contest at the Badger Steam and Gas Engine Show, Baraboo WI. Saw display and demonstration Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Old saw contest on Saturday only, at 12:00 noon. Classes include:2-man antique, antique geardrive, vintage direct drive 5cu+, vintage direct drive 5cu-, and vintage hotsaw. Class descriptions: 2-man antique - stock, one cut down, wood size 18-24". Antique geardrive - stock, one cut down, wood size 14-18". Vintage direct drive 5cu+ - 1979 and older, one cut down, one up, wood size 12-15", stock, no square chisel chain. Vintage direct drive 5 cu and under-1979 and older 5cu or less, one cut down, one up, wood size 12-15", stock, no square chisel chain. Vintage hotsaw - usually mac kart engine saws, hot start, 3 cuts, down, up, down, wood size 12- 15", contact me to see if yours will qualify. [email protected] This is an amature event, no entry fee. We have plenty of wood to cut if you want to demonstrate, and 2 saw bucks to hold logs securely. Display area is shaded in a park-like setting. See club website for general show info and maps
www.badgersteamandgas.com
This is a fun event, not too serious. Bring your sense of humor, and don't take it too serious. We do use two timers and try to make it as fair as possible, but we're here to have a good time, and see the old saws run. Bring a camera and a camcorder, you don't see a Mac BP1, or Disston 12hp 2-man cutting too often.
Here is a video clip of a Merc- Disston 2-man 12hp at the 2004 show. It really needs a good chipper chain instead of the antique scratcher chain. These guys are putting all of their weight on both ends of the saw, and it simply takes it down off 4-cycling. Not bad for late 40's.

This is my Father-in-law's Mac 7-55. It took 1st place in 2004. It has a really sharp chain (I sharpened it). Jerry made a new metering diphram for it, and it runs great. In smaller wood, these 7-55's will 4-cycle a lot, but this log is 29" and it made the mac workhard!

Here's my Mall model 7. It placed 3rd in 2004. It has sharp scratcher chain. It took a long time to sharpen all those little teeth. I was glad it only has a 36" bar.
Scott

yea, thanks for those vids! Esp the first one of the disston 2 man! I got one in the basement, and it may have encouraged me a bit more to pull it out and get it running.

Thanks
Ron

Reguarding vidieos:

Hi Scott. Tried to download the videos. Tried to save them to my computer, under My Documents ( My Videos), and Windows tells me it needs to know what program created it, before it will open the files. Any suggestions from anyone. Thanks. Lewis Brander.

You need Quick time player.
Not hard to find.
I have it here if you need it, I mail it too you, Lewis.

Impressive videos! :blob2: I'd imagine that 2-man saw gets awful hot? The chain that is, well, maybe the engine too, I don't know :)

I use Quicktime Alternative from
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
to play .mov
In my humble opinion that player is a lot better than the whole package from Apple.

I also use
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
to play realmedia. Again, this player is, IMHO, better than the original from real.com.

Main difference is that these players won't "hi-jack" other formats, they will use less system resources, and they also un-install alot better. Again, IMHO.

Edited : I see now that the links above look similar, but if you click on them they'll lead to quicktime alternative, and real alternative :)

Last edited:
Thanks Guys:

Thanks Mange and mktest, I downloaded the Quicktime alternative and now can see the videos. Awsome. I've downloaded the full version of Quicktime before, but with this Window's XP and Service Pack 2, it seemed to slow this computer way down, so got rid of it. So far this seems to work well with the Windows media player 10 I have on this computer. Thanks again to everyone for the help. Scott the videos are great. Take care. Lewis Brander.

For some reason, I like seeing an older saw cutting at its slow pace rather than a saw that cuts like lightning. something about it makes the past come to life.

The past sure does come to life at this show, and not just with chainsaws. There is everything from blacksmiths, to tractors. Several steam tractors, stationary engines, 2 sawmills. Check out the club website.
www.badgersteamandgas.com

Here is a clip of the Lombard 2-man with the Homelite engine. This saw seems to be running a little lean. I like these that have the hand operated clutch.
Scott

Thanks McC for putting up the videos, I'm way to young to making a comment like this, but I imagine if a guy was using crosscut saws, a geardriven 2 man would have been a real labor saver for the times.

My father in law gives me a hand every now and then, he worked for a guy back in the forties that cut trees for firewood and lumber. He told me that what we do in one day or less would take him and this other guy a week to do with crosscuts and big bow saws to cut up a tree for firewood. I don't know if this included the splitting of it or not, he never did say.

It sure is tempting to drive up to Baraboo, to enter in the saw contest for the fun of it, see how my old Macs do.

Larry

Last edited:
Baraboo

Scott,
Steve here... I'll be there... I'll have my 090AV, my West Bend 820 Wards, and my Homelite 750. Here's a clip from last year of my old 2100. The carb and intake on this saw is now on my West bend
Steve

Last edited:
Steve, I didn't know you have a 750. We encourage entering more than one saw in a class. The more the better. That 2100 really had some guts! The 2-man saws must have been appreciated by the sons who had been pulling a cross-cut before Dad forked out $700+ for a 2-man saw in 1947. It must have been a very well to do Farmer that could afford that kind of cost back then. A lot of them did custom work for neighbors to pay for the saw.

Here is a clip of a Titan Blue Streak at Baraboo in 2004. 2 cylinder opposed. All of these clips are only part of the cut due to 2mb limit on attachments.

Thanks Mc for the amazing videos. It gives me incentive to get my Mall 7H started and oiled to see how it cuts. But I have to say one thing...I watched how slow those machines cut through those 24 inch (???) logs and remember how my father used to cut faster than that by himself with a 40 inch hand saw that he sharpened and oiled up, he called it a "Swede Saw." Now I understand why he hated chain saws back then. A strong man with skill and a really sharp Swede saw could cut through those logs faster than those two men appear to be with those old scratcher chains from watching the videos. It's really amazing how fast a Swede saw could cut with just one guy. Now I understand why the first generation of chain saws got so much resistance from the old-time lumberjacks who knew all about hand saws and how to work them. Sort of like how Model T Fords got so much hate from the old people who said horses were better. But now we look at rusty hand saws hanging on the wall and laugh at them, but back then people knew how to use them and they were really good with them.

Back