Bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeerman_2000

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I aquirred a very old red oak. The bark in some places is about an inch thick. As it separates from the wood, is it worth saving to start fires or mix in? I would think there might be significant BTUs in it.

or you could leave it outside untill you want it build a fire and hang some of it over the stove untill it dries and use it the next time you start a fire. if you have it already why throw it away?

Poor mans mulch

I use it for ground cover in my ever expanding lumber/firewood yard. Helps fill in holes and low spots also covers up small brush stumps.

On califorina coastal oak it's no good. On the limbs I dont worry about it but on the large sections it gets left. Produces to much fly ash that clogs up the combuster.

I use it for ground cover in my ever expanding lumber/firewood yard. Helps fill in holes and low spots also covers up small brush stumps.

I started out doing that. Wasn't too many years before the cover was too thick and causing problems.

Now it goes back on the PU to add to the current brush pile. I sometimes will use an armful for a quick fire but it does produce a lot of ash.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back