Barn shot with tractor and saws...just for fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a tractor, and the right color, too!!

Chris B.

Yes it is Chris! If it ain't Red, leave it in the shed!:hmm3grin2orange:

Actualy, I like any and all Old Iron, no matter what the color. AC Orange, IHC Red, JD Green, Ford Grey, etc. I do prefer the IHC Red however. My two year old was just dancing to Craig Morgan's "International Harvester" about five minutes ago...:cheers:

I'm sure one of your Cubs or A's would be better suited for the cutting duties mentioned above. If not, then there's always Cub Cadets (the REAL ones that is..........not the MTD produced current ones)...:D

Last edited:
I'm sure one of your Cubs or A's would be better suited for the cutting duties mentioned above.

I wish I had an A or Super A. I did use my B with a Woods mower all summer. Once the front tires were properly inflated (stoopid me), sucker steers like power steering. The Cub is pretty pathetic with any decent mower, unfortunately. In my mind, the W9 was built for one reason--to pull heavy stuff all day long. Not for a loader or fancy hydraulics or constant turning.

That said, maybe the best riding and easiest to handle tractor I've ever operated is a JD 4010 gasser. And there is something about the Minny Mo U series that makes me want to own one. Always wanted to try a hand clutch.

Chris B.

I wish I had an A or Super A. I did use my B with a Woods mower all summer. Once the front tires were properly inflated (stoopid me), sucker steers like power steering. The Cub is pretty pathetic with any decent mower, unfortunately. In my mind, the W9 was built for one reason--to pull heavy stuff all day long. Not for a loader or fancy hydraulics or constant turning.

That said, maybe the best riding and easiest to handle tractor I've ever operated is a JD 4010 gasser. And there is something about the Minny Mo U series that makes me want to own one. Always wanted to try a hand clutch.

Chris B.

I thought I remember seeing an A or Super A in one of your pics. Must've been your B. The big MM tractors are beasts. There's a few of 'em around here. I've ran an AC WD45 with the secondary oil bath hand clutch (primary is the normal dry foot clutch on that rig). Pretty slick setup. Ran a couple ancient JD twins with hand clutches. A bit tricky to be smooth with at first, but not too bad once you learn that individual tractor's "touch". Move the lever just until 'breakover', DON'T let it snap past that, and then feed it in smooth the rest of the way...:D

You know what they say about the old JD two-bangers: John Deere made antique tractors longer than anybody else.

One JD that really impressed me was an 80. Owner fired up that pony engine and then the big old diesel. Thing was gigantic with a tiny little drawbar. Of course the W9/WD9/600/650 were the IHC counterparts. The W9 drawbar is most robust I've yet seen.

Chris B.

You know what they say about the old JD two-bangers: John Deere made antique tractors longer than anybody else.

One JD that really impressed me was an 80. Owner fired up that pony engine and then the big old diesel. Thing was gigantic with a tiny little drawbar. Of course the W9/WD9/600/650 were the IHC counterparts. The W9 drawbar is most robust I've yet seen.

Chris B.

I would love to run an R or 80 diesel. I've ran the smaller twins (gassers of course) under load, and that WHUMP WUMP WHUMP WHUMP just goes through your whole body. For all-day working the JD sixes that replaced the twins were much smoother. For a short bit of fun when plowing however, I think the twins are the ticket.

Talking JD's here now. I do prefer the big IH's over all the green. Walked alongside a WD9 when it was pulling a sled. Could feel the power without even being in contact with the tractor. Listening to it crank up on gas and switch over to diesel was fantastic as well. Same with my friend's TD18A crawler. Almost 700ci of IHC Diesel Power. He fired it up without the mufflers. Just 6" stacks off the manifold. Awesome stuff...:D

Walked alongside a WD9 when it was pulling a sled. Could feel the power without even being in contact with the tractor. Listening to it crank up on gas and switch over to diesel was fantastic as well. Same with my friend's TD18A crawler. Almost 700ci of IHC Diesel Power. He fired it up without the mufflers. Just 6" stacks off the manifold. Awesome stuff...:D

Hey, the old IHC 4 cylinder gassers were just about the best of their time, maybe all time. Particularly the M series (248/264/281) and the A/B/C series (113/123). I know people that bad mouth the 6 cylinder gassers and generally say gas engines in tractors are a waste of resources, but do give the 4 cylinder IHCs their grudging respect.

Would like to see the bigger gas/diesels. I have, somewhere, a 450 Diesel, needs ALOT of work but does run, sort of. That whole system is neat, to say the least.

Chris B.

Hey, the old IHC 4 cylinder gassers were just about the best of their time, maybe all time. Particularly the M series (248/264/281) and the A/B/C series (113/123). I know people that bad mouth the 6 cylinder gassers and generally say gas engines in tractors are a waste of resources, but do give the 4 cylinder IHCs their grudging respect.

Would like to see the bigger gas/diesels. I have, somewhere, a 450 Diesel, needs ALOT of work but does run, sort of. That whole system is neat, to say the least.

Chris B.

I'm certainly not badmouthing any of the IHC fours. I saw/heard a C335 in an I9 years ago. That was a beast. They're all fantastic engines. I have a grandson (or great grandson) of them in one of my Scouts as well. It's a 196 (3.2L for the metric crowd) I4. Has as much torque as a good medium size I-6 and will lug down below 200rpm without complaining. They used the smaller version of this engine (152) in combines and such (as well as in Scouts and the C900 pickup). The 152 is basically half of a 304 V8, while the 196 is half of a 392. They share several parts (including heads, pistons, valve gear, valve covers, etc) with the V8's. When I ran the Scout with most of the exhaust plumbing cut out it sounded like the C248 in the IHC T6 crawler sampled at the beginning of Craig Morgan's "International Harvester". That was his uncle's T6 (gas version of a TD6) by the way. He mentioned it in an interview...

The IHC gas/diesel system was fantastic as well. It's amazing that it worked so well, given how complicated it is.

For the non-IHC nuts here who are actualy reading along with us:
Basically, the IHC gas/diesel system makes the main engine it's own pony motor buy opening up a secondary combustion chamber (thereby lowering compression) and utilizing an ignition and small carb for starting on gasoline. Once it's warmed up, you move a lever to close the valve that leads to that combustion chamber (thereby bringing the CR back up to diesel levels) while bringing up the diesel 'throttle' at the same time. Some early versions actually did this automaticaly after 900rpm (approximately a minute and a half at high idle).

IHC developed this system because 'corporate' insisted that all their engines be capable of being started by hand (crank) as well as battery power. Cat had patents on diesel starting systems using separate pony motors, so IHC did their own thing. It actually works quite well and preheats the whole engine (and not just the coolant and manifolds like the Cat separate pony system).

Hey Chris,
Does that 450D of yours have a direct start or gas/diesel start engine? I don't know squat about the D281. I know they switched to direct start at some point, but can't remember with what models they made the switch.

My friend with the TD18A also has a TD9 with a stuck engine, a TD14, and a TD6. The TD6 is a nice runner, and I hope to get it some day. He never uses it, as it's too small for him now.

Last edited:
Does that 450D of yours have a direct start or gas/diesel start engine? I don't know squat about the D281. I know they switched to direct start at some point, but can't remember with what models they made the switch.

The 450D was the last of the row-crop IHCs to use the gas-start diesel--D281. The 650D used the 350D gas-start and was the last in its line. After that IH went to the direct-start with the D282 in the 560 (the follow-on to the 450). Now, I'm talking tractors. I'm not so sure about the crawlers and the power units and alot of those used much bigger motors.

Chris B.

Not in the barn, and the saws are close by :D.
attachment.php

And there is something about the Minny Mo U series that makes me want to own one. Always wanted to try a hand clutch.

Chris B.
I may be picking up a U. Just got my Great grandpaws H home. Now hunting a couple parts.

Nice set up Marty!

And MNsam is that tractor original with wide front and fenders?

Some nice tractor & saw pics you fellas have. This only one I could find that had both in the same pic.;) Ford 8N and Poulan 3400 painted to match.:D
I know, the tractor still needs paint too...LOL

100_0189.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Some nice tractor & saw pics you fellas have. This only one I could find that had both in the same pic.;) Ford 8N and Poulan 3400 painted to match.:D
I know, the tractor still needs paint too...LOL

100_0189.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

The saw looks great!
Someday you'll get to the tractor, I know, in your "spare time"!:laugh:

The wide front might be, the fenders definately not.

Wide front is a Swartz, fenders are I-don't-what (maybe home-built), and it has the awesome M&W hand throttle. My Ms and H are all converted to that throttle set-up, can't stand the sawtooth throttle and I don't care what the so-called correct police say.

Gregg, can't bring myself to love Ford tractors, but they do have their place. Nice stuff.

Here's my niece and I tooling around on the Super M.

Chris B.

attachment.php

Back