Basic climbing tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Treeclimber165 and WillClimb,

i used to coach gymnastics and martial arts. my rule was that nobody was allowed to sit. afterwards, i got my masters in physical therapy and although i allowed my patients to sit and rest, i still stuck to the idea that a good work out was good for the soul.

in reference to WillClimb's posts re: BeeBoo...
dropping trees in the road - bad idea
remembering where we started - good idea

(in the martial arts, after one receives their black belt, the next belt is often a black belt with a white stripe to serve as a reminder of ones starting point)

Hey Willclimb!

I went to THe Citadel in Chucktown. How long you been there and who do you work with? You can email me if you want.

I live in Macon , GA now.

Steve

The blocking out of any tree is only as good as your cut.Make a bad one and the block bounces into or onto what?Lets say the butt of a nearby tree takes a good lick from the mis-guided block.Watch out for the house also.I've seen blocks hit just right on another block(ground) and ricochet way over yonder.Not good.A good face cut will take time.Some never get it,like my dad.One screw-up is all it takes guys and your ass is messed up bad. Funny about the no sitting in the trees thing,I do it all the time:D

Georgia

Georgia -
Yeah man, I know a lot of Citadel grads. I work for a computer software company called Blackbaud (i'll explain the name if anyone wants) and we make software for non-profit orgs. I do technical support right now but am getting ready to move to our Conversions department where I'll be doing more programming type stuff. (I know everybody's wondering what the hell I'm doing on this site but I just cant get enough of the climbing!)

As a matter of fact, there are a good many Citadel grads (all males by the way) that work here. When did you graduate? I've been in Charleston since I was 5 and moved here from Greensboro NC where I still go visit family and Sherill Arborist Supply (I spend more time there than with the family ;)

All right, back to trees!

No sitting replys - Pretty good stuff but nothing really new to me. The only time I ever sit is when taking a break or waiting for a groundsman to attach something to the rope....or smoking....yeah I know, I shouldn't be doing that.

Hey, when you guys are limbwalking, do you find that boots with good grip really help? I've been wearing my New Balance tennis shoes because the only boots I have right now have no grip! Seems like if I'm up high, close to my tie-in, I'm having a little trouble with balance. I know I could do a redirect on a higher limb but sometimes there aren't any. No problem with the lower limbs though. Do you go out backwards, sideways, or frontwards?

Later - Will

i sit in the tree during breaks. But what I realy enjoy is, after finishing the job, to hang upside down for a few minutes it seems to make my back feel good. any body else do this??

Sitting

I dunno - I've sat in a tree (while the groundsmen were on break, and left me there), I even had a smoke in the tree, (I know that's bad too), the chainsaw pants I have from Safety Landry have this awesome side leg pocket - perfect for those (cigarettes)

and yes - even hung upsidedown to make my back feel better!

You gotta have a little fun up the tree every once in awhile....

I know everyone says start low and slow - and I agree but... a lot of companies are about the bottom line - they want you up, work done and down asap. (Which I know is not safe) You take it low and slow - and they want to fire your ass! Maybe its the companies up here - but we were warned about that even in school. Any comments?....... I don't even want to touch on the gender issue.......

Jen

Sitting

Hey Jen!

My wife's name is Jen too. She wont go up a tree yet though.
I know what you mean about the smokes. If I put them in my pocket, my saddle has pretty much crushed them by the time I'm up in the tree. You guys will probably rag me about this (just like my brother-in-law has) but I found a small, old blue canvas camera case that I hook to my saddle and I use it to carry up my smokes or sometimes a cell phone. My brother-in-law calls it my purse:D

As for hanging upside down I do it all the time. It definitely relieves the back pain you can get from climbing. It can make your abs hurt good too. Sometimes I'll do some vertical sit-ups while in the canopy.

Two important things a good groundman won't learn from any book is how to tie a cup of water on the lifeline so the water doesn't spill, and how to tie a lit cigarette on the line without breaking it! My first boss taught me both and they are 2 of the first things I teach every new groundman!
I could have used that 'purse' idea a few times for the cell phone. I've done a couple of crane removals over houses where I carried my Nextel phone with me and used the 2-way feature to talk with the crane operator. Too far away to see each other. It kept getting in my way and I almost dropped it a couple times. The clip kept sliding off my climbing belt.

So what kind of knot do you use for the cup of water? I've got the 'smoke on the rope' down pat....just dont forget that it's there or you might be cutting out a section of that rope....or buying a new one

I've been using the butterfly knot shown in Sherrill's latest catalogue for most midline rope clips lately. I like it. I dont think it will work for the cup of water though.

A purse?..... - well you do what you gotta do I suppose. But hey I've sent my groundsmen looking for my hair elastics, when they've fallen out......

The funniest thing so far that has been sent up to me was buttered toast - up the line. It was middle of winter (and a couple feet of snow) and a bunch of the guys got hungry - one went to the cafe, and brought us all back breakfast. None of us wanted to come down - so he sent it up to us!

But if you have a suggestion as to which knot should be used to send coffee up the tree (without spilling) - I'm all ears!

Jen;
I`m interested in where you got formal training for climbing in Ontario.
I called out to Arbor Masters in Alberta to get some info and ended up with a taped message which wasn`t much help.
They have a course in Toronto but I don`t know where.
There`s nothing up here in the north, one mountain climbing business but the guy couldn`t be bothered to return my call.
It`s little wonder why people attempt to train themselves!

sending a cup up a rope

I have found the big insulated cups from 7-eleven are the easiest to send up a rope. It's almost too simple, but that's good for easily confused groundmen. Grab a loop of the rope, kinda like you are going to tie on a saw. Stick the loop of rope through the handle on the cup and pass the top part of the loop over the top of the cup. That's it, except to make sure the opening on the lid is turned back torwards the handle. The cup should hang at just a slight angle and you barely lose a drop.
Sometimes the simplest things in life are the most satisfying. :angel:

I'm back for more

ok--I want to start by adding to the people who seem to want to help & understand the problem-----THANK YOU again to the following people:

willclimb & no sitting.

I appreciatte your help & look forward to more, if possible.

Would like to add more, but I have some comments to the others that I would like to get too (not nice).

I will have more questions soon, I have read the "TREE CLIMBERS COMPANION" & have a couple more questions to ask, but after I rip a couple people's ass.

Hope to talk more to you soon.

real question about climbing

ok--I have read, "THE TREE CLIMBERS COMPANION" about 5 times from cover to cover & have the following questions.

I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP, instead of running off at the mouth about stuff that does not pertain to the issue's, as follows:

OK----HERE GOES.

I plan to use the traditional climbing system while body thrusting & walking up the side of the tree to get started, where there are no branches away from the trunk strong enough to use.

QUESTION: Can I really reply on the blake's hitch to function properly?

Also, Where can I buy a leather rope saver, the kind the rope slides through---not a false crotch.

I have noticed comments about footlocking with a prusik's, as not to be the way to footlock.

Question #2:
When using a double line, what Knot would be the right choice to use, when footlocking?

The book says Prusik--or--Klemheist Knot.

Question:
What are the dangers involved with these knots??

Any help would be appreceiatted.
Thank You

I use the blake hitch exclusively. I like it better than the traditional hitch because it doesnt creep out on the rope . Just do not descend real fast with it because it has alot of friction that could burn your rope. What kind of rope are you using Beeboo. You can buy cambium savers at any arborist supply store. Like American Arborist or Sherrills. I would suggest gettting a steel core flipline with an ascender attached to use as your lanyard. when ever making a cut with your chainsaw, tie in with your flipline also , so you are tied in two ways. John

From all of Beeboo's posts today, I must assume he already knows everything about all the dangers involved. :rolleyes: Therefore I'm not going to check on updates to this thread anymore. I'd hate to say the wrong thing and get my ASS reamed as he has done to so many here.

(I remember years ago, back when I knew everything too!)

Beeboo,
I certainly admire your persistence. Since you are determined to do this, I suggest you get some of the videos available from ISA. 888-ISA-TREE or www.isa-arbor.com.
Set #V1523 is a six-video set plus workbooks entitled Climbing Techniques. It is part of the Arbor Master Training program and an excellent source for detailed instruction on climbing. The six titles are; Introduction to Belay: Equipment and Techniques, Introduction to Climbing Techniques and Equipment, Introduction to Secured Footlock: Equipment and Techniques, Climbing Knots and Hitches, Introduction to Ropes: Care, Construction, and Limitations, and Introduction to Throwline: Equipment and Techniques. This should cover all the basics you need to know. Member price is $120. These videos are also available individually for $24. Good luck to you.

By the way, please forgive the sarcasm of my previous posts. I've been told my sense of humor is a bit flawed, to say the least. I apologize for trying to get a laugh at your expense.

Latest posts

Back