Battery powered vs gas saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigwelder83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so I've been thinking of going to a battery powered saw for working out of the bucket. Pros being not having to start it, noise, and electric saws stop spinning almost instantly.

My problem is that I think they can't get the chain speed gas ones do. All the videos I've seen, even the big stihl 200 electric looks painfully slow. Think im staying with my echo 330t and redmax gx360

Electric is instant torque at 0 rpms...but less rpms.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

There is no comparison and never will be weight for power when you got to carry petrol or carry batteries whatever electric is pipe dream bs .
Just like cars

There are direct drive battery ones that have similar chain speed. There are also reduction gear ones. You are right about the chain stopping fast on the battery saws. At leas the ones I have.

Don't bucket trucks have hydraulic power to the bucket? I would guess some smaller bucket things like ones on small tracks and out riggers would not?

My testing results in short were the previous generation Husqvarna top handle the 536 would take say 10 seconds to do a cut and the 338xpt would take 6. It sure seems slower but that was the timing in general. That is same chain and bar.

so I've been thinking of going to a battery powered saw for working out of the bucket. Pros being not having to start it, noise, and electric saws stop spinning almost instantly.

My problem is that I think they can't get the chain speed gas ones do. All the videos I've seen, even the big stihl 200 electric looks painfully slow. Think im staying with my echo 330t and redmax gx360

The Husqvarna is likely the best saw overall for what you are looking for. The chain speed is noticeably faster on the 536Li XP compared to even the Stihl MS220 CB. The Stihl has a lot of torque in the cut, but I can make mine bog down pretty easy. The Husqvarna is also very light and maneuverable. I have not used the new 540i XP but I can only assume it's even better than the 536Li XP. The big Husqvarna BLi300 (9.4 Ah) batteries are expensive but worth it.

Latest posts

Back