bay area storm damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that yours? It looks like it got the house pretty good.

No, I'm 1200 miles away, but lived in the bay area, north bay, for many years. And yes, that old oak did a number on truck and house. It seems like the first storm after a long drought is always something special. this storm is supposed to hit here late tomorrow.

A few years ago I had a 300 foot redwood fall next to my old house in Marin county. It sounded like a train wreck. Miraculously missed all the homes on the street. I had to climb over it to check on the neighbors. The root ball gave up just like the tree in the picture.

My daughter lives in Oakland Cali, they were experiencing high winds and lots of rain yesterday and overnight, she is safe so far. Those big old ones cause a lot of damage when they topple over. Seen lots of big Redwoods over in Marin that would wipe out several houses if they toppled over.

My daughter lives in Oakland Cali, they were experiencing high winds and lots of rain yesterday and overnight, she is safe so far. Those big old ones cause a lot of damage when they topple over. Seen lots of big Redwoods over in Marin that would wipe out several houses if they toppled over.

Good to hear that your daughter is ok. My son is in Hayward, right on the fault. He encountered some flooding on his way to work yesterday. Really that storm didn't look extraordinary. Most years you'll get one or two like that, the kind where you have to lash the anchor down on the deck. Trees like the one in the picture are bread and butter for bay area tree men. Most places work slows down in winter, not in the bay area. You put on your rain gear, show up at 0730 and go at it 'til 1700. That job will probably require a crane with a good operator. I wouldn't tackle it without one. I wonder how old that oak is...

Yup, that tree is a biggun! They are lucky the SUV took the first hit and slowed it down, or it may have come clear through the house. Still wrecked it pretty good...what a mess!

See all those big roots under there? Me neither.

I have seen this with quite a few big oaks on my property too - just really nothing holding them up and so they just fall over. I don't know if it is caused by some illness or if the trees are just old, but I really don't trust oaks any more.

I would hate to be sitting under that root ball when someone cuts the trunk loose,,,,,sssppppllllaaaatttttt

Holy smoke Neal a bunch I bet . Back in 86 or so my ex FIL in Arlington Mass decided to have one ash limb removed. It was up about 15 feet and about 16"in diameter where it left the tree then it hung over his back lawn . Not doing any harm to anyone maybe 25' long.
He hired a tree crew out of Somerville to come and cut off this one limb.. They cut it off the tree for $500.00 the he wanted it removed of course well now,..... that will cost ya the very small sum of $ 200.00 . He got what he deserved always I felt. He was an Engineer for Many large firms, General Dynamic , Electric Boat , and even Nasa so he knew much more than a hillbilly from Maine. Told him I would remove it for a cold beer .....I feel he made the intelligent choice don't you?

I'm sure they had to call somebody in from outside Oakland to find a big enough saw haha. It was quite windy here and they got a ton of rain down there compared to up where im at. We probably got 5 to 6 inches where I'm at and my driveway was flooded half way down the driveway about 4 inches deep. Lots of trees over though ground was so dry then turned to mud add the wind and it's bad news. My 272 cleared a few from my neighbors down the road.
Was out cutting till 10 with a tractor and headlights haha

So, what does it cost just to have the tree (not counting the stump) removed?

nmurph- doing business in califa isn't cheap. workers comp is outrageous. your liability is too. diesel is a buck more to meet CARB rules. but you can do the math. you're going to need three groundies. that's maybe $90/hr, a climber (even though he may be riding the ball with this guy) that's perhaps another $50/hr. i don't know what a crane costs maybe $1500/day. let's figure 8 hours for the crew and crane.

labor $140x8 $1120
crane $1500
fuel $ 150
chains (guaranteed, there's nails) $ 150 (42" bar)
dump fees $ 200
IPA ale (required after this job) $ 30

total $3000

did i miss anything? that would be an estimated cost to field the crew and equipment, doesn't include overhead, taxes, repairs, wear and tear, payments on the truck and chipper, alimony and child support, and don't forget profit. it also does not include the cost of permits, which could be significant. figure another thousand to cover all that. in that market $4000 doesn't sound too far off. i may be low. it's been nine years. i don't think the insurance company would even peep. in that nieghborhood, in the middle of silicone valley that house would probably appraise at $1.5 - $2 million.

All that concrete suffocated it. Good way to kill an Oak if there was such a thing.

23FC6F7F00000578-2870672-image-a-75_1418359468009.jpg

Back