Be Careful Out There

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C#ap! Seems like this kind of accident is multipling like bunnies... Ten days ago near friend´s place, a skidder operator was carried outta woods dead. There was a 6" beech springpole (well, a limb stuck into ground upon impact) burried partialy in the ground and partialy under heavy, brushy top, hidden under some spruce leftovers. Once the top was moved by the skidder, the springpole smacked into the cab, right below shoulder line. Dead instantly, almost no blood or tear on shirt, but his left arm and chest were... Well, flat so to say... Left side of the protection frame to be cut off and made new and it is much wider and more enclosed design than what northy use.
Glad you are OK, with worn spikes and some bruise on ya and machine and nothing worse

Only time I've ever been hurt in the woods was on the tractor. Woke up on the moving tractor with blood in my eyes. Caught a vine with the bucket and dropped a limb on my cranium. Stiff neck for quite a while. If doctors weren't such worthless, rip-off artists, I would have gone

Only time I've ever been hurt in the woods was on the tractor. Woke up on the moving tractor with blood in my eyes. Caught a vine with the bucket and dropped a limb on my cranium. Stiff neck for quite a while. If doctors weren't such worthless, rip-off artists, I would have gone

The thing I always think about when I go to a Doctor is that somebody had to finish last in their class at med school. Somebody just barely squeeked by. Somebody. I always wonder if my Doctor is the one. Maybe this is the guy that failed anatomy three times before he passed with the minimum grade. Maybe this guy is the one who kept dropping the scalpel during dissection lab. Maybe this guy is the one who still has to look at the book illustrations of internal organs to tell one from the other.
It gives me something to do when I'm sitting in the waiting room reading three month old issues of Time and Newsweek.

John i know a guy was in a body cast for almost a year because of that very same accident. very dangerous, please be more care full from now on my friend.

John i know a guy was in a body cast for almost a year because of that very same accident. very dangerous, please be more care full from now on my friend.
Thx,
I'm very careful to avoid snagging vines now. Also I'm more careful about bumping into trees. Especially sweet gums. Bump a sweet gum and they rain dead **** down on you.
I'm more careful when I'm doing things I have no business doing!

The thing I always think about when I go to a Doctor is that somebody had to finish last in their class at med school. Somebody just barely squeeked by. Somebody. I always wonder if my Doctor is the one. Maybe this is the guy that failed anatomy three times before he passed with the minimum grade. Maybe this guy is the one who kept dropping the scalpel during dissection lab. Maybe this guy is the one who still has to look at the book illustrations of internal organs to tell one from the other.
It gives me something to do when I'm sitting in the waiting room reading three month old issues of Time and Newsweek.
It's never held me back any!

I could go in to see a doctor with a knife stuck in my leg and he'd say that the problem was that I need to lose weight. I think that line is taught in medical school and probably justifies the high fees.
I have the opposite problem they tell me I need to gain weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've gone in with pneumonia and was told to quit smoking and loose some weight.

Recently changed doctors, cause when my knee started hurting more then normal I was told to lose some weight.

Turns out it was a compression fracture and a sprained acl... but what do I know.

slowp & Skeen, if your insurance or wallet will allow, you need to size up your doctor before committing.

On a different note it is funny how having a doc of the same gender and just a few years older than you allows those recommended periodic procedures to slide back a bit.

Ron

I could go in to see a doctor with a knife stuck in my leg and he'd say that the problem was that I need to lose weight. I think that line is taught in medical school and probably justifies the high fees.
Medical term is "fatty boombah"

The problem with the healthcare industry in this country is that the industry is exempt from laws designed to prevent monopolies (Layton Act etc.). All other industries in the country are bound by these laws except for one. These laws actually work as intended where they are enforced.

There's lots of hand-wringing and arm-waving about; "How are we going to pay for healthcare." Virtually no one is asking "Why is this so f'ing expensive." Obama Care is literally a tax to try to continue this charade. A last ditch effort.

Health care costs have increased 8.1% per year for the last 31 years. This means that health care costs double every 7 years and 3 months. It is mathematically impossible for that to continue in a world where wages have been stagnant or decreasing, when adjusted for inflation, over the same time frame. Period. Period.

Ask yourself this: Why does an MRI in Okinawa, Japan cost $110 when the same MRI in the same first world setting in the good old USA costs $1200-$3000? Japan is a first world country with the same medical standards as the US.

OK. I'm off of the soap box.

The problem with the healthcare industry in this country is that the industry is exempt from laws designed to prevent monopolies (Layton Act etc.). All other industries in the country are bound by these laws except for one. These laws actually work as intended where they are enforced.

There's lots of hand-wringing and arm-waving about; "How are we going to pay for healthcare." Virtually no one is asking "Why is this so f'ing expensive." Obama Care is literally a tax to try to continue this charade. A last ditch effort.

Health care costs have increased 8.1% per year for the last 31 years. This means that health care costs double every 7 years and 3 months. It is mathematically impossible for that to continue in a world where wages have been stagnant or decreasing, when adjusted for inflation, over the same time frame. Period. Period.

Ask yourself this: Why does an MRI in Okinawa, Japan cost $110 when the same MRI in the same first world setting in the good old USA costs $1200-$3000? Japan is a first world country with the same medical standards as the US.

OK. I'm off of the soap box.
It's cause the Japanese have been "pre-irradiated", since they already glow in the dark, diagnostic imaging is much cheaper.

Truthfully, it's cause healthcare is a massively profitable business in America. Hospitals, imaging centers, surgery centers, and drug companies make literally billions in profits. Add that to the health insurance company profits, and the populace is screwed. If'n it makes you feel better, I can almost guarantee you u'r doc is making significantly less than he or she made 10 years ago.

slowp & Skeen, if your insurance or wallet will allow, you need to size up your doctor before committing.

On a different note it is funny how having a doc of the same gender and just a few years older than you allows those recommended periodic procedures to slide back a bit.

Ron
My deal is I'm just a small built guy at 130 and 5'6" and it works perfect for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Skeans, find a doc your size and I bet you'll be left alone about how much you weigh.

SP & HS, I can't say much about the health care cost debate other than it seems that there are a few fresh billionaires or near billionaires who made their money off of "managed care" under the guise of cost containment and/or cutting. Some in my state have gone into politics - both parties.

Ron

I am committed, and it will probably bite me back, to staying away from the whole medical scene. I figure what years are cut short, have been made up in time not spent in waiting rooms. I'll continue to work on being fat and fit and I now have to hork my lungs out and go for a walk. I'm on week number 2 of a nahsty cold. cough cough.

Back