Beating a dead horse again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first post to the forum. I have been reading it for a while though. It's time to retire my old Stihl 011AV saw. It will be going to my son.
The three saws I have been considering are the Husqvarna 353, 359, and 460. I cut about three cords of wood a year for heat.
I like the weight of the 353 (11.0 lbs) but want to make sure that it has enough power for the job. My old 011 always felt it was pushing it's limit.
Should I be concerned about the chain pitch also? Is one size better than the other? The 353 that I seem to be leaning more towards uses a .325 chain. It looks like the 359 will use either a .325 or .375 and the 460 uses only a .375 chain.
I don't want to make a mistake because this will probably be the last saw I buy since my old saw lasted 20 years.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Get a 361 with an 18" bar and 3/8 non-safety chain and you'll soon forget all those other numbers. If you're cutting 24" Oak regularly, the numbers 4-4-0 may start to appear in the back of your mind, but that's the only time. In 20" and under hardwood, a red pulsating 3-6-1 may actually be visible on your forehead to the casual observer. Now go forth and fell timber... :)

Ian

Edit: Welcome to the forum, BTW

Last edited:
Bad News: The guys here will talk you into more saw than you need.
Good News: The guys here will talk you into more saw than you need.:biggrinbounce2:

wayne s said:
Should I be concerned about the chain pitch also? Is one size better than the other? The 353 that I seem to be leaning more towards uses a .325 chain. It looks like the 359 will use either a .325 or .375 and the 460 uses only a .375 chain.
I don't want to make a mistake because this will probably be the last saw I buy since my old saw lasted 20 years.

The key is finding a good match between the saw and the chain. I wouldn't say that a particular chain pitch is inherently better than another. The key is getting the saw/bar/chain/sprocket combination right for what you're asking the saw to do. If they were my saws, on the 353 I'd go with .325, and on the others I'd want to run 3/8.

If you've been able to get by with an 011, ANY of these saws will be night-and-day difference. Go with whichever one feels right in your hands. If you're leaning towards a lighter saw, the 353 would be a superb choice. If you're looking for a bit more grunt, a 359 (with a non-catylitic converter muffler swapped back in!) would be the way to go. I'd skip the H460 in favor of the 359 any day.

Keep your bars short and your chains sharp and you'll be thrilled with your new purchase, whatever it may be!

computeruser said:
The key is finding a good match between the saw and the chain. I wouldn't say that a particular chain pitch is inherently better than another. The key is getting the saw/bar/chain/sprocket combination right for what you're asking the saw to do. If they were my saws, on the 353 I'd go with .325, and on the others I'd want to run 3/8.

If you've been able to get by with an 011, ANY of these saws will be night-and-day difference. Go with whichever one feels right in your hands. If you're leaning towards a lighter saw, the 353 would be a superb choice. If you're looking for a bit more grunt, a 359 (with a non-catylitic converter muffler swapped back in!) would be the way to go. I'd skip the H460 in favor of the 359 any day.

Keep your bars short and your chains sharp and you'll be thrilled with your new purchase, whatever it may be!

+1 Well said computeruser!

Hired Gun said:
+1 Well said computeruser!
Actually +2. I just wanted to know what size wood wayne s was going to be cutting. But yes computeruser is spot on. I tried giving him REP points but it wouldn't let me. I gotta spread it around or something like that! I tried comp, I tried!

litefoot said:
Bad News: The guys here will talk you into more saw than you need.
Good News: The guys here will talk you into more saw than you need.:biggrinbounce2:
Damn there's those burgers again. Sure could go for some.

NYH1 said:
Actually +2. I just wanted to know what size wood wayne s was going to be cutting. But yes computeruser is spot on. I tried giving him REP points but it wouldn't let me. I gotta spread it around or something like that! I tried comp, I tried!

Hired Gun said:
I sent him some rep :heart:

Thanks for all the love, guys. I appreciate it!

NYH1 said:
wayne s, welcome to the site! What size wood will you be cutting?

Thank you everyone for your comments.

NYH1
I have a permit to cut trees on water company property that are marked. They are rarely over 20 inches in diameter. They are more on the 12 to 18 inch range.

Back