becomming certified

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking at becomming certified. When i do finally take the test ive been studying for about 3 motnhs. What kindof restrictions will I encure. I expect to be held to a higher standard of tree work and that is one of the reason I want to be certified. What legal ramafications will I encounter being certified Arborist. What will I not be able to do. I think I should be held to a higher standard because of the association with ISA. That will entail some restrictions I'm sure. What are they?
I'm gonna take that tree down sir. No Im not gonna pull it down.LOL

You are going to be so disappointed...

btw-Check their website

Study Guide

I am currently using Sherrills 1991 study guuide for preparation for the exam. Will this one guide be comprehensive enough material for a passing score on the exam.? I'm already looking nealy $300 for the bar. Do you folks suggest I comsume another text? Also, on the tree ID section of the test, is there any way I can prep for that other than living at 100 feet up hugging them over 11 years?
Cheers!

Originally posted by TREETX
You are going to be so disappointed...

btw-Check their website

Treetx,
Ive worked with several large certified firms. Ive always been impressed witht hte techniques they employ to remove trees. All top notch climbers. A little bit slower than your run of the mill climbers, but safer, more compentent and more professional. Ive never been disappointed with meeting a Arborist. What do you mean?

spikeless scence 1999

I say slower but course they werent using the ole spikes. LOL
oops 1989

My plan

Im sorrry about my new name
I was priviously :
Spc Adams
Treehugger01
Now Im xtreme.
These durn computers
So, Ive got a few months left on the activation, that weekend a month is bolonga.
I want to start my company back up in the summer when I get home. id like to be certified and consult with my home town about ttrees. They have a tree board but it seems they really dont want a ordinance.
Why dont they want a ordinance?
Construction companies. Thats why.!!
It major bucks and for impeed on a mega money maker the tree board and others in th town jsut dont want to impede . Ive talked to the board a couple years ago. Theyd deny all this of course.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
First, ISA certification is voluntary and therefore not really enforcable other than from your own morals.

An ISA certification is more like a diploma from a trade school showing that you have learned basic standards.

Sorry, it is after 9pm here and I was cooking dinner whilst trying to reply.

Rocky summed it up.

The diappointment being the enforceable standards.

I do think you should get certified and get involved. Rubbing shoulders with other climbers is always good. Fastest way to learn new things and see really bad climbing habits.

Thanks rocky,
Ill be in the souther chapter.
once a feller told me its only political if you make it so.
Being Certified Arborist dows have some weight to it.
Firstly and most importantly for me owning my own I'd be listed with the local Extension Service. Nothing like getting your name out for free. I worked with them before doing soil diagnosis around a local polution factory. Did alot of soil samples thru them. Started getting a little scared honestly started finding toxants this huge company was selling . Looking over my shoulder stuff like that. They had taken the toxaphine mised it in with other byproducts and gave it away as top soil. the factory is still producing mega polutatnts. Its causing major die backs in the tops of Quarcus vaginanne. Stupendous trees are ding back in the tops within 5 miles of the big factory. The pulp mill settled years ago with cancer victums. Whos cares about the trees and who will sue for them and what they are giving this community.? noone. Namely sulfer dioxide. Being certifed will get you shot down here.
Cheers!

You can see the facotry billowing the tree killing chemicals in the background

If i read you correctly, you're relying solely on the study guide. There's alot more you should study if you REALLY wanna be prepared. The study guide has a great bibliography of recommended reading.

JMHO

Originally posted by netree
If i read you correctly, you're relying solely on the study guide. There's alot more you should study if you REALLY wanna be prepared. The study guide has a great bibliography of recommended reading.

JMHO

The manual should not be the sole source,but an updated certification manual would be a good complement to
what he already has.

90% of the test questions are in that manual.Why go without it?

There are also sample test questions that can help prerpare one to take the exam.

:)

I'm also takin the test in March. I am goin to take it in Flordia. I have the new cert book, ANSI standards on everything, TCC, and several other books, including a couple on tree ID.

I would recommend that you look in the back of sherrill, and stock up on books that you are weak in (Tree ID?). I gotta pay the $165, 200-300 for a plane ticket, taxi, and a hotel room; so I plan on passing it the first time. I also figure that I can learn from the books, which is another major benifit.

I figure that the extra cost of the books is offset by the increase knowledge for the test, and for life.

Carl

Carl-
Not to discourage you or anything, but I know here in Indiana (maybe it's nationwide?), you cannot take the ISA certification test unless you have a 4 year degree (tree related) or have at least 4 years of verifiable work experience. I could be wrong on the amount of years, but I DO KNOW there is a requirement along these lines. I don't know what it is like in MS, but I'd advise you to check before you bought that plane ticket.:eek:

Dan

It is 3 years experiance, which I have in excess. The rules for becommin ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) cert. are the same everywhere.

I am goin into this with my eyes open.

Carl

I figured you knew that, just didn't realize you had that much experience. I did think that you needed more than 3 years though... Has that changed recently?

Dan

You have to have 3 years, or a BA and 1 year (I think). There is a coupla other things, but you are fine with 3 years in the tree industry. I worked at a tree farm for 2.5 years, then I started my buisness in August of 2003. So I am fine.

Thanks for the concern tho

Carl

That three year rule is a bunch of crap. I know it might have good intentions, but it's still dumb. I've been waiting for about a year and a half now so that my 3 years would expire.

Anyone have a reccomendation of someone to talk to about being pardoned from that rule?

love
nick

Back