becomming certified

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, the test is a test to test you knowledge and skills. However I believe that the 3 year rule keeps many from becoming a cert arborist because they have to put in 3 years, not just walk in off the street.

Carl

The Diagnosis and treatment,may be the hardest part to pass.

The soils were behind that.

Tricky questions in that catagory.If you know the terms well you may not be fooled.

The Tree Id was the easy part,the slides were clear.

:)

The tree ID part is different at different places, eh? You mention slides...I've heard some have actual twigs in there and you ID the twigs. What other options are there?

love
nick

It was 3 years in 1986, when I took it in Illinois. I think they went to all photos of the trees to standardize the id part. There were some samples that were very unique in some of the older tests I helped with.

Bob

I passed my Certification in May of 2003,after the 3rd try.

It Took 2 years and a lot of seminars and money.

I have not actively worked on or in trees like many of you
therefore I had no knowledge of Cableing and Braceing,
Tree climbing,Lightning Protection,Knots,or hazards.

I am a Horticulturist and Landscape Contractor so the Biology,
Pruning,Planting,Nutrition & Fertilization,were my strong points.

The first time I took the test I looked at slides

The second time I looked at slides
I spent 250.00 to go to a 3 day class to prepare for the test
The notebook they relied on was what we studied for the test
That is what I studied and failed with.:confused:

The third time I studied the manual and the meaning of the terms,only. I traveled 150 miles to do 6 questions on trees, people & ecology. (I passed the test that time) :)

That chapter is not in the certification book it is practical knowledge.

All of the rest of the test is in the manual, look at all the other sources you want but don't disregaurd the manual.

I now have 39 credits,and I keep going to the classes.
There is just a lot of information out there.

Sorry, I went to a private liberal arts college. I'm used to personal education. :rolleyes:

I knew mult. choice was part of it, but I thought the tree ID part would be tougher.

Guess I was pleasantly wrong!

love
nick

Originally posted by Lumberjack
I gotta pay the $165, 200-300 for a plane ticket, taxi, and a hotel room; so I plan on passing it the first time.

Carl

I really hope you can pass it the first time. The proctor that administered the test I took said 80% do not. I missed passing the first time I took it by 1% point in only 1 of the 10 domains. The good thing about it is that you can retake the domain you missed. On the retake of that one domain I scored 94%. I have been certified since 1998. To prepare for the test I read Dr. Harris Aboriculture about 5 times and the study guide about 10 times.

As far as the ID each proctor may do it different.
Photos, Slides, or plant material ):confused:

If you know the trees in the area you are taking the test
it should not be too hard.

Disease you should know the difference between abiotic and biotic.

NONUNIFORM (random)
scattered on the plant part and is limited to one or onlya few plant species
***indicative of BIOTIC (infectious)damage
*may be either pathogen or pest (insect etc)

UNIFORM: (systematic)
damage pattern: on a plant part(e.g. entire leaf margin);the whole plant (e.g...one side,all older leaves); over an area including several species
*** indicative of ABIOTIC (non-infectious) damage (cultural,enviromental).

Is it a diease ?
( caused by biotic agent such as fungus or bacteria)

Is it a disorder?
(caused by abiotic factor/s such as cultural practices or enviromental problems (temperature,light,wind drift)

Is the problem caused by a pest?
(insects,mites,other animals

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Here are some typical samples from our test.
Want to take a stab?

Except that I have the key on my desk here open to that page.

Mike Wendt sure doies a good job wih those ID seminars. They could be dry and boring, but I allways stay awake.

ISA certification is a minimum standard. It is a great program for seasoned tree dudes (that never had the opportunity for college) that want to take the next step in their career.

If you have a 2+ year degree in tree related science or a close allie paying ISA to take their exam I feel is not necessary (unless you got your degree from a box of Cracker-jacks).

I spoke to John Henderson (years ago) about this and told him straight forward. The ISA certification program has evolved into nothing more than a program that allows "salesmen" to flash their ISA card, make recommendations in a trees best intrest... it typically involves every service that is out there. (fertilizing crabapple trees twice a year.......I mean really! They bang'em for the fert (high N naturally) then get winter pruning out of em. Not to mention 3-9 sprays a season for the same trees and then cable it etc...........:angry:

Either ISA does not have the will to enforce their ethical standard or they are using this as a cash cow ($150 for exam, $270 renewal) to fund the important things I always felt ISA stood for.

I have not heard of one ISA certified arborist having his/her certification revoked. Explain that to me please.:confused:

JMHO:D

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
NYCHA,
You hit it on the head. It is a cash cow for the ISA, keeps them solvent since few will buy their overpriced books.
Rocky tell me where the pubs are cheaper elsewhere--ISA sell for mfrs list, like anywhere else.
But hey if you knowitall already, why even bother with books?:alien:

Trashtalking is so fun and easy; no need to bother checking facts when the bs is flowing warm and creamy its just real smooth.

Here's their ethics code: Adopted August 1992

ISA members will:

Strive for continuous self-development by increasing their qualifications and technical proficiency by staying abreast of technological and scientific developments affecting the profession.

Not misuse or omit material facts in promoting technical information, products or services if the effect would be to mislead or misrepresent.

Hold paramount the safety and health of all people and endeavor to protect property and the environment in the performance of professional responsibilities.

Subscribe to fair and honest business practices in dealing with clients, suppliers, employees and other professionals.

Support the improvement of professional services and products through encouraging research and development.

Observe the standards and promote adherence to the ethics embodied in this Code.

The code applies to just ISA members and not CA's. Now boys, maybe overfeeding with N is misusing facts bad enough so the miscreants should be stripped of their membership I don't know enough to say so, but if you're so good at it, let me point out the ISA is accepting applications for Executive Director. If you take that job you could exert your judgment and form a code of ethics for CA's too.:cool:
If you know so much why not apply and give the whole industry the benefit of your superior knowledge and judgment?:angel: If you're not up to that challenge, serve on the advisory committee. It's not nearly as fun as lobbing virtual hand grenades, but at least it would have an effect.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Why don't YOU apply for the job?
1. Like you, I prefer working in the field.

2. Like you, I'm not qualified because I lack the people skills (and other things too numerous to mention) .

2. Unlike you, I'm not going to criticize the jobs people do when I have no clue what they are or wherewhyhowwhen they do them.
P.S. Some ISA officers climb trees.

"My enjoyment comes from doing what I do best, climbing trees."
And when you get too old, ?

My reason fro not getting the cert. yet is simmilar to Brian and NYC-HA (Rob) . Too minimal and too many use it as a sales tool.

It is the only formal cert. we have though. If I were selling to the public, I would get it (might do it some time soon anyways) but I can sell myself to my target clients without spending that extra money. My those prospective clients being lmicro tree companies like Freddie B., John Sirbasku, Dave Ryan, Dave Bryant, Tom D......

Hope to ad a few more to the list of AS people I've worked with.

Back