Beer on the job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid, I wondered if I could get a Stihl 088 to replace the pedals on this little car. They both have chain drives, why not?

Kettcar.jpg

Getting older, I thought about an enclosed cab with potential for twin 088 operation. You could control the direction by powering one side more than the other, and the brake is standard equipment.

walk_n_roller.jpg

There's a guy in Boulder who pulls a brush trailer around with his bike every day...then rides it home 4 or 5 miles up a steep canyon every night! We're all gluttons for punishment to some degree, but man!

I agree that one beer with the customer is fine. Have worked with recovering achoholics, and chose to refuse it out of courtesy.

Don't socialize with the crew? Where does this theory come from? I read it in one of the trade mags recently, too. Maybe in huge companies with lots of layers of management between owner and workers, but in a small or medium company it seems that it's better to not erect walls. Good morale can motivate as well as anything.:blob1:

Donald Schneider of Schneider National, Inc., a trucking firm, runs his family's $2.4 billion company, but he has an attitude that I have extraordinary respect for. In an article published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in June, I read the following.

"...He talks economics with the head of the Chicago Fed and trucking with any of Schneider National's 14,000 or so drivers, who have a standing invitation to pop into Schneider's office whenever they're in Green Bay."

Then later in the article: 'His modest office and the fact that he drives a Suburban doesn't mean that he hasn't enjoyed the fruits of his labor and the fruits of the results of the company as well,' said one close observer.

'It's just that he doesn't flaunt it at all, and that's to his credit. The wearing the jeans and the things to work every day - that's part of the persona that he wants to portray to the employees, primarily the drivers, that he is accessible, that he is a real person, which he lives out on a daily basis. . . . He's pretty genuine from a standpoint of all those sorts of things that he has espoused for years and that he has actually lived through for years.' "

Read it for yourself here: http://www.jsonline.com/bym/News/jun02/51377.asp

To me, it said that no matter how big you are, if you stay real, you'll be the best executive you can be.

Nickrosis

I saw one on CNBC recently where the CEO/founder of "All For .99c" a multi billion $ chain, works out of a small, worn office with used furniture and no secretary. Pays himself 185,000 a year and says he is over paid.

Always dressed down and casual, ...this is how my employees and customers are, why should I be any different... is a loose paraphrase.

As for Nates choice of management style, that is what works for him. I've heard some things about Nicks dad, but I know many of his employees have been with him for over 20 years. That type of retention speeks volumes about the work environment.

I have been taken a bit out of context...

I don't drink with them, that is not to say that I won't buy them a 12 pack or 2 before I leave them after a job well done. These guys work their hearts out and know without a doubt that they have my respect. I just choose not to socialize in any way but work because my young age and college boy past tend to make me a target to push over.

When I was a foreman, I drank with my crew and socialized on a regular basis which really fuzzed the lines of who was in charge.

I may be a bit military....I want to get in and out of a job as quick, safe, and professional as possible. I like input and opionions but I don't have time for authority questioning. There already aren't enough hours in the day.

Ever seem like you start the day with 5 things that you MUST do but on the way to do thoses things, you run into about 15 other things that demand your immidiate attention?

It was a good weekend - lots o kayaking and lots o beer.

That makes this much more clear. In fact, I agree with you that there should be a line between work and play.

If you've worked hard to earn the respect of employees, you should be careful to retain that. No sense in blowing it all because you did something stupid in a bar. Now that I think about it, there is a lot of sense in avoiding drunken scenarios with people that you're supposed to be in charge of, come Monday morning.

Those kinds of "layers," I believe, are necessary. Nothing wrong with taking breaks together or hanging around each other's garages once in a while - I think you'd agree with that.

Nickrosis

Back