Beer on the job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been present at several jobs (both my own and other peoples') where the customer provides beer for the workers at the end of the day. I personally do not drink that often (1x every other month) but VERY occasionally I will take a SINGLE beer if offered by the customer. I was working at a customer's house this spring where he was having some masonary work and saw during the course of the week several cases of beer floating around. I know they were drinking during the day, not just end of the day. I am also pretty sure that the customer supplied it. So how do you guys deal with this, if somebody brings out beers for the crew at the end of the day?

I accept water,iced tea, coffee,and soft drinks-(sometimes). No beer,no liquor.
Oh, and cookies are gladly accepted!

No thanks, I've got my jug of water, but thanks anyway. Think of potential customers driving by the job and there you are with a beer in your hand. Hmmmmm.

I have had a bunch of customers offer beer, usually when we are finished. I can only remember drinking a beer with a customer (non-close friend) on one occasion, where at end of day we were sitting around the pool in the back just talking. Drinking on the job is not a smart thing to do, creates a bad perception, and could be dangerous. I had a neighbor once comlain about a painter getting drunk on the job, I asked if they brough a 12pack with his bucket of paint, she said no, she had beer on ice in a cooler and told him to help himself. So he took her up on it , and now she is badmouthing him to neighbors for drinking beer that she provided. I can't believe he got drunk!! Give people a cooler of beer and tell them to drink, drunk is the next step.....Duhhh
Greg

Liability

Remember you still have to drive back to your shop. Bucket/box towing chipper. Fender bender/DWI/Impounded vehicle/lost income. Thanks but no thanks.

Treeman82,

I don't worry about sounding rude when refusing a beer from a client. I have been sober for over a year now and it feels good. Beer and work does not mix anyway. I just say "No, thank you. I don't drink".

If your system or brain can tolerate it, ONE beer at the end of a long day is OK by me, but then it is time to go. I am amazed at the number of people I have have seen on construction sites and yes, arborist crews who need chemicals to get them thru their day, be it weed, booze or something else. Unprofessional, and potentially dangerous-I will not work with people like this. I have drank as much beer as the next guy at various points in my life, but right now I just do not need alcohol in any great quantity.

beer on the job

I run the crew and will not allow any drinking on the job.What they do after all vehicles are put in the yard. is ok by me. there are enough drunks working this business I dont need the aggrivation.

"No thanks, it'll just make me sleepy.":)

I'll often turn down sodas too, water please.

If they are getting bent on the job, they aren't arbos, just tree trimmers.

If it is a late job and they want to be nice,the one beer is not a bad thing. It may be a client relations thing.

I don't enjoy beer or getting drunk, so therefore I never really accept anything except for iced tea / water / soda / etc. At the end of several jobs though customers have brought out 1 beer for each person which I allow my employees to enjoy as they do not have to drive back to the shop. This is of course AFTER everything is done as far as saws / ropes / climbing goes.

I can't believe this thread is even here. I love a beer but there are rules.

In all business settings, it is ok to have ONE beer WITH the client. Do NOT drink with the help. You have to keep a clear line between officers and enlisted men. Drinking with your crew after a job blurs this line. This includes company dinners, BBQ, etc.

Never, ever on or before the job. No sodas but I will take all of the water you have.

When it comes to climbing, I am like a pilot - 24hrs between bottle and throttle.

Gonna enjoy a beer this weekend. Maybe 2........

Have a good weekend - Nate

Nate
You might find you get happier and more productive help by treating them like humans, not solders.
One beer is ok, more than that is stupid for all the reasons stated here already.

North Americans are so anally retentive and Victorian when it comes to enjoying a beverage in moderation. In Europe it is customary to conclude an agreement or job with a glass of something-sometimes coffee, or wine, or beer, the local "shine, or food. . Any client who offers alcohol during the job is being downright negligent, but a beer, or a coke after the fact, fine. The aim here is to be thanked for a job well done, not get loaded. I had one lady of Hungarian descent offer us hot soup and bread last fall, which was more welcomed than any beer would have been.

The situation in Sweden

Over here it's pretty easy, since everyone know you could get
caught for drunk driving after 1 beer, yes 1, the client hardly ever offers you a beer after the job.
Unless you took your bike to the worksite :)
I do enjoy a cigarette and some water after the job.

I will relish in a beer after a job well done if offered by the customer but only under the condition that the job is done and its the last job of the day should I have mulitple jobs to attend throught the workday. I dont drink beer to get loaded but rather to enjoy the taste of fine hops. Beer is a very tasteful delight for me and I will indulge in a single beer after a job well done.

Yup, as long as you know yourself and your crew, social drinking is fine. Just gotta let the people know the ground rules. One beer, politely decline a second, watch your mouth-cuz you ain't out drinkin with your buddies, your on my clock.

Some prople can maintain a proffesional relationship and a freindly one with employees. One just has to let them know where the lines are. "Who signs the checks Leo!"

Not to mention how hard it is to bike even sober with a husqvarna 372 in your hand :)

Latest posts

Back