Bent axle on 5x10 trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonel428

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've managed to bend the axle on my small trailer. I use it to carry wood, both as logs and as firewood. My question is this...Am I able to loosen the two U bolts on each side, rotate the axle with the bend up and then retighten the bolts? Any chance this could work? Thanks, Steve.

Is there spring seats welded to the axle? A lot of them are like that. If the spring seats are clamped to the axle, maybe your idea will work.

Reckon the hubs wouldn’t be aligned very well then and the tires will wear unevenly, but still might be able to use it for a while before that becomes apparent.

Just kinda thinking out loud, my line of thought might be flawed.

A replacement axle is literally dirt cheap, cheaper than a set of decent trailer tires.
Replace the axle..

If you keep the axle, you will wear out a set of tires every 1,000 miles, or less,, depending on how much load is on the trailer.

OR, wait until you wear out several sets of tires, THEN, you will replace the axle...

You can straighten out an axle with a welder. You just need to find exactly where the bend is and start making a series of welds on the outside of the bent area. Stack the weld beads side by side and keep a good eye on the bend and the welds will pull it back in place. I have also straighten out bent tube using a oxy/acet torch. You heat the bent area red hot and then spray with ice cold water. It takes a little time, but its cheaper than buying a new axle.

A replacement axle is literally dirt cheap, cheaper than a set of decent trailer tires.
Replace the axle..

If you keep the axle, you will wear out a set of tires every 1,000 miles, or less,, depending on how much load is on the trailer.

OR, wait until you wear out several sets of tires, THEN, you will replace the axle...
Well, an exact replacement axle is $450, which isn't exactly dirt cheap. But you are dead on about it killing tires...

Is there spring seats welded to the axle? A lot of them are like that. If the spring seats are clamped to the axle, maybe your idea will work.

Reckon the hubs wouldn’t be aligned very well then and the tires will wear unevenly, but still might be able to use it for a while before that becomes apparent.

Just kinda thinking out loud, my line of thought might be flawed.
I'm afraid that may my be the undoing of rotating the axle plan - I'll check tomorrow but I have a strong feeling the spring seats are welded to the trailer.

Replace the axle..

^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

Besides marine supply stores where else should I look for a replacement axle? Thank you guys for all your help

Google replacement trailer axle for suppliers. For me I found a supplier for a Lippert 3500lb trailer axle for my camper. A 1/4 of the price from a dealer. You will need to know capacity, probably 2000 lb, hub face measurement and spring mount C to C.

Besides marine supply stores where else should I look for a replacement axle? Thank you guys for all your help
etrailer.com
They offered a brake controller that I needed,, WAY cheaper than Amazon.
Also check Amazon, and eBay,,
That ENTIRE NEW trailer only cost $450 four years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Northern keeps the axles in their stores,
I never saw a utility trailer axle at Northern that was over $100,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Prices are up, but 4.5X seems a little steep,,,,,,,,,,

I was told it's a 3500 lb axle. Is there any sense in putting a stronger axle on it? Say 5000 lb?

etrailer.com
They offered a brake controller that I needed,, WAY cheaper than Amazon.
Also check Amazon, and eBay,,
That ENTIRE NEW trailer only cost $450 four years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Northern keeps the axles in their stores,
I never saw a utility trailer axle at Northern that was over $100,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Prices are up, but 4.5X seems a little steep,,,,,,,,,,
That $450 price was from the Big Tex dealer here in town. I about threw up...lol.

I was told it's a 3500 lb axle. Is there any sense in putting a stronger axle on it? Say 5000 lb?

Next size is probably 5200 lb which takes different brakes and is a different bolt pattern.

If the trailer does not have brakes, you can not (in most states) legally haul over a ton,, anyways.
Are you gonna put brakes on the trailer, and a controller on your truck?
If not, don't bother with a heavier axle.

Also, besides brakes, you need heavier springs,,

Heck, convert it to a dual axle., I never owned a single axle after the first time I towed a two axle trailer.
(I do have single axle yard carts)

Back