Bent beam on log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CRThomas

CRThomas

ArboristSite Guru
Picked up this splitter the other day on craigs list for $600.00 . It runs good and splits fine but the top of the beam and push plate are bent. They probably tried to split Eucalyptus wood, it’s hard as rock and twisted like a barber pole. I'm wondering if I should try to straighten the top of the beam or maybe flip it over and start from scratch. I have straightened a beam like this before on a different splitter but it was hell to do. I used a torch to heat it and a hydraulic press (the press bent before the beam did) but I did get it straight.

Another idea I had was to grind the top of the beam down (level) and add-(weld) metal under the top plate. I'm also going to add a 1/2 plate to the top of the beam once it's straightened out. Going to build a new push plate from scratch. The old one is completely bent and tweaked.

It's got a 5.5 hp Honda engine, 4 1/2 O.D. cylinder (not sure of the I.D), 1.750 shaft, inch stroke, and return detent valve. Has a few minor leaks, tires are good and came with a spare tire. I figured for $600.00 and a little work, I can at least get splitting.

I also noticed that there is no hydraulic oil filter, is this ok to run? One thing I don’t like is the splitter is really low to the ground, tires are small, may have to raise it up later on.

I'm in the process of building a much bigger splitter similar to the "big boy" splitter at SPLIT-EZ. I bought this small splitter just to get splitting for now. Any ideas/comments on that bent

beam problem and filter would be great. I can not for the life of me get pics to show up when I preview the post, so I’ll just attach a few pics the old fashioned way and hope they are visible by clicking the link. Let me know if the pics come threw…..Thanks again……
I think your split is to tall for the I beam. Might look in to that. A knot raise up on your splitter bend one quick. Know from it happening.

Flaps

Flaps

ArboristSite Member
Finished splitter

Finished up the small splitter, pretty fast cycle time, lots of power, split 10 truck loads of eucalyptus. It's a little low to the ground, but we don't have to lift the heavy logs too high. Made a small ramp and rolled the big logs on. Total of $900.00 invested, well worth it. New thicker 3/4 inch top beam plate did not bend at all on that twisted eucalyptus wood. We stacked it on the north side of a building - not much direct sunlight, but a good breeze, should take a year to dry. Very happy with the project over all. Going to start the big splitter next. I'll try and get the pics to show up, if not just click the links, let me know if the pics come threw....lots a pics coming....any comments good or bad welcome.View attachment 216522View attachment 216523View attachment 216524View attachment 216525View attachment 216526

Flaps

Flaps

ArboristSite Member
Pics

Thanks shelby, glad the pics are working. I had my general settings enhanced attachments off...I'll try to attach a pic with it back on---new computer.....:bang:

Flaps

Flaps

ArboristSite Member
Found out how to post pics and have them show up !!!!!

attachment.php

Found a video on you tube of how to get pics to show in post.....finially..!!!

Latest posts