Best 50cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxer1237

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been cutting a LOT of downed hedge and want a smaller saw for limbing. Thinking of either a 261 or 346. The other saw I use is a ms310. So I already have stihl chains and bars, but i'm also thinking 357 or 361. I may have the early stages of CAD...

Brad you gotta try an efco 152...you may or may not change your mind. I know your sick of hearing about them but they are hands down the best bang for your buck..Just think what one would do if you ported it....they are drop in style engine design..not a clamshell..very durable little critters and will run with or out run a stihl 026 and husky 346 stock. Plus they have the no fear 5yr warranty

My vote goes for an efco 152. check this thread out to see what others are saying...and get a good look at one.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/133888.htm?highlight=efco+152

I have not ran 261, but am very impressed with my 346. I would recommend anyone getting one.

If there is another ohio gtg and i get invited for once..lol... I will bring both a 152 and a 156 stock and by then I hope to have my other 152 ported! Now I will say if you got piles of cash laying around..you cant go wrong with a stihl..they have awsome dealer support.(they just cost more than my my CAD budget allows..my girl has me on financial probation..lol. Efco is starting to catch on now that some have gave them a try. Dealer support is not bad..there is always baileys if you dont mind mail order...dealers are around...they just arent in every small town like stihl is.

If the saw is to be used in the woods (including limbing etc) the 346xp makes most sense. Blocking firewood is a secondary consideration at best regarding a 50cc saw imo, as you just as well can use a larger saw.

What will serve you best depends on your priorities. :soldier:

Here we go again, team 346xp vs team ms261!

Both are very good saws, and will last you for years if looked after. Best is to go to the dealer and hold both, see which feels better for you. Also judge according to price in your area.

No Husqvarna dealer for 80 miles, but you can see 3 Stihl dealers from your house? Question answered! Same in the opposite scenario.

hope this helps,

Joe

(by the way, I vote for a 346xp but I am a bit biased! :in-love:)

Hard to go wrong with any of the top name pro saws. As already said, go to some dealers and check the saws out in person, see how they feel to you and make your own decision. That is what I did when I bought the 346XP last spring, and am very happy with it.

Having a close dealer made no difference in my decision, I fix my own saws and none of the local dealers are "saw guys" , they like to sell mowers and trimmers.............

Last edited:
What will serve you best depends on your priorities. :soldier:

Definitely. Priorities are key here - including how, where and when you will use your saw, as well as what your budget is.

When I bought my 5100 I was in the same boat as the OP - wanted a fast, lighter saw. I was originally looking at stihl and husky but the cost difference (about 30-40% less money) made the dolmar the obvious choice for me.

I am sure you would be happy with either of those 2 saws listed in your original post.

346XP handles great. Very good small size saw...
On the other hand, MS260 and 261 are very reliable saws.
Very hard choice...
I prefer using the 346xp but, If I want a really reliable saw (long term investment), I would go for a MS260 or MS261...

I would also like to try an Efco 152, but I got the 50cc category covered. If money is an issue, try a 350/450 Husky. I have the red sister to one (J-Red 2150) and I've put it through the paces and it has not missed a beat in 6 years. I cut over 20 chords with it the first 2 years I had it. Then I found this site, and in the words of Paul Harvey," Now you know the rest of the story"

Latest posts

Back