Best 70 cc milling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarkBuster20

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
iv given some thought to a dedicated 70cc class saw for milling.... could it possibly be a 038 mag? or 381 mag

hm do you know what the 460 and 7900 have for tourqe compared to the 381 mag

No figures.
The 7900 gives you approx. 79cc for a great price. Obviously a nice saw to use as a firewood saw also.
The 460 was alot torquier than my std 371.
If your hard and fast on the 70 odd cc's then the 381 sounds like the goods.
The 7900 is hard to pass up for the bucks I guess.

245A Poulan would have strong torque and probably outlast any of these high RPM saws.:greenchainsaw:

I guess it depends what you are milling, but I woud have thought that 70cc and milling were mutually exclusive terms. 7900 is a strong saw I just rebuilt one myself, but they are a single ring piston design and milling is one of the hardest things on a chainsaw. If you could find a later model poulan 245 (Ithink the later ones had an auto oiler as well as the manual plunger), that might not be a bad idea. An 041 super (72cc's) might not be a bad Idea either. They are a pretty torquey (always a plus for milling) saw. An echo 8000.......oh wait that's just an 80cc saw that CUTS like a 70cc saw.

Yeah it isn't the saw I will continue to use for milling, I like it to much to ruin it milling, I have a 066 that I will use instead. I'd rather run the 7900 for firewood than the 066.

from what i hear the 038 mag is a bit torquey too. keep in mind i was considering its use primarily for cedar, and inbetween 20 inches and 28 inches diameter. the old poulan sounds like a good consideration.

I've cut a few slabs this year with both the Stihl 041AV Super (72cc) and the 045AV (75cc). Both pull really strong for the wider stuff (relatively speaking), but a newer, higher-RPM saw would serve better for narrower pieces. I haven't done timed cuts but it feels like the 041S is stronger by a bit (or maybe it just sounds better :)). And replacement parts aren't always as cheap or available for the old saws, though 041 parts are a dime a dozen except for the Super P/C sets.

28" is really pushing the limits of any 70-cc saw though, even in softwoods. It's a bit like asking which 90-cc saw would make the best limbing saw - they'll all get the job done, but not in an ideal fashion. But this is coming from a guy who used a 26cc Homelite a few weeks ago for milling duty, so take it or leave it!:dizzy:

There is ONE ~70cc saw I can downright NOT recommend - that's my Skil 1629 (69cc I think). I haven't ever tried milling with it, and in fact have only even made a handful of crosscuts, because it cuts so friggin' slow. Of course it does have what looks to be the original almost-chipper chain so who knows what it could do with some good chisel.

I have a ported and milled ms 460 and a muffler modded 038 mag. The 038 has more torque, but the 460 is much, much faster. If I were to put either one on a mill, the 038 would be the one, hands down.

I guess it depends what you are milling, but I woud have thought that 70cc and milling were mutually exclusive terms. 7900 is a strong saw I just rebuilt one myself, but they are a single ring piston design and milling is one of the hardest things on a chainsaw. If you could find a later model poulan 245 (Ithink the later ones had an auto oiler as well as the manual plunger), that might not be a bad idea. An 041 super (72cc's) might not be a bad Idea either. They are a pretty torquey (always a plus for milling) saw. An echo 8000.......oh wait that's just an 80cc saw that CUTS like a 70cc saw.

My CS8000 cuts WAY faster than my 044, just a hair slower than my 385xp. Steve

Latest posts

Back