Best/affordable boots perfect for climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends on the style of boot you're after. I climb in Lasportiva boots that retail for around $300. If you want nice purpose built leather spurring boots, you could spend as much as $500, or you could climb in $80 timberlands...

Last edited:
I wear keen targhee's when I climb, no issues yet. I wear either them or my chippewa's daily, no issues on the ground or in the tree. Keens are generally about 100-150

Under a budget of 100 bucks, what kind of boots would you guys recommend for a beginner climber?

Hmmmm, goodwill boots. :msp_tongue:

My first season, I got through the whole summer in hand me downs from my boss. Danners no less! Lots of chippin, lots of dragging brush in rain, snow, and debris. Never a blister or a sore spot. And even topped the season off with three months of climbing! ... On 2n1 and saddle and spurs I got at a yard sale for a hundo! I know a lot of guys will frown on this but after a full inspection it got me through till I could afford better. Good luck! :rock:

steel toed boots. all purpose. cheap.

A very good point. Toe pro if you'll be doin any cuttin on the ground. And all purpose is smart. Are you in a tree 8 hrs a day or do you also drag brush, fell, chip, etc. I prefer an all round boot I climb but am also asked to do many other tasks too. Another consideration...removals or pruning. Seems like the higher end boots are more task specific. If you want a boot that will get you through it all for one season, you can probably find it in the $100-$200 range. And if it doesn't work out, we'll at least you didn't spend half a mortgage payment to figure it out! Cheers.

I actually work and climb in Irish Setter Wingshooters. Good grip and my feet have never gotten sore in them even being in gaffs all day.

I got a new set of Redwing 909 Loggers this past winter,:rock: I love them. I can't figure out why Redwing discontinued the 909's. I'm definitely in the market for some 16" boots for climbing this spring.

Don't skimp

If you spend much time in the tree, don't skimp, get a good set of climbing boots, your feet will love you for it. I used to climb in jungle boots 30 years ago but I was young, dumb and tough. I climb in Redwings now.

I have my Red Wings which I love when I'm climbing and they're not all that bad working on the ground with either. However, they aren't water proof and they are expensive so I wanted a "daily driver" boot I can wear when the weather nasty or I'm just riding around in the bucket all day. I started buying the 8" timberland with a steel toe for around 120. Not only are they great on pavement but they are surprisingly comfortable to climb with and their soft soles grip the tree pretty good. The downside is that they are a 100 dollar boot, so dont expect years of service out of them, that and they only come in tan, which isn't my favorite color for work boots.

If you are looking for boots comfortable to climb with in the 100 dollar price range these are hard to beat, that and they are almost always on sale at Sears.

One other thing that I haven't seen mentioned is make sure your climbing boots have a steel or fiber shank or your feet will be like a crow on a power line!

Back