Best bar length for 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick_reno

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm using a 20 inch bar on my Stihl 026 and am thinking about replacing it with a 346XP. Talking to some of the local cutters, they've said the 346XP runs best with a 18 inch bar - something to do with it being a fast saw. Is this correct?

Also - anyone know why there are such good deals online for 346XP saws?

I like 20 inch bars, they just seem to be the convenient length for me.

Have seen few jobs that a 20 inch bar would not handle. I confess I did order a 22 inch bar from Bailey's that was on sale for the recent Jonsered purchase, but that is as big as I'm likely to go for my needs, only got it because it was a really good deal. Bailey's is great place to look for that 346XP.

If your looking for used I know of a sawshop in your neck of the woods that may have one.

Talking to some of the local cutters, they've said the 346XP runs best with a 18 inch bar - something to do with it being a fast saw. Is this correct?

Hi,

I find my 346XPG runs best with a 13" bar! 20" would be way to much for my cutting when using a 346XP! if I need a 20" bar or longer then I'll just grab my MS460 and have some fun. The 346XP is fast but it lacks "grunt" for longer bars.

Generally I would say use the shortest bar for the saw that gets the job done. There is no way in this world that I would agree with your local cutters claims though, especially not in hardwood.

Bye

i run 18" on my which use to bog down sometimes when she was stock. Not all the time but through 16" or more size wood. i think it was due to dirty wood so i had her modded, now she rips through most everything as long as the chain is sharp. i would go 18" but no larger.

I just bought a 346xp this month. I really like it better then the 026 Stihl I had. I run a 16inch bar on mine. I wouldn't put a 20inch on it. I'm sure it will pull it but you would really be able to bog it. That saw has a different kind of power. It's fast and but if you try to feed it to quick in bigger wood it will stall easy. I ordered mine from Norwalk Power equipment. The price was $418 shipped to my door with 3 chains total a hat and a t-shirt. I have bought 2 saws from them very good people to deal with.

Scott

A 16" bar is best on either a 026 or 346xp in my experience, 18" max.
If your 346xp is an e-tech, scrap the cat muffler and put an older non-cat one on it. It makes a big difference in the torque output.

Ed

Hi,

I find my 346XPG runs best with a 13" bar! 20" would be way to much for my cutting when using a 346XP! if I need a 20" bar or longer then I'll just grab my MS460 and have some fun. The 346XP is fast but it lacks "grunt" for longer bars.

Generally I would say use the shortest bar for the saw that gets the job done. There is no way in this world that I would agree with your local cutters claims though, especially not in hardwood.

Bye

Very good post, but a 15" balance the saw better than a 13".......:biggrinbounce2:

With an 18" or longer, I would choose a larger saw.

Last edited:
I'd never go bigger than a 16" bar on a 50cc saw, but I'd change it over to 3/8 no questions asked. I have a 15" on my 346 and I also have a 13" bar, but I think the 13" is available only in .063 gauge. long bars on small saws usually have the operator using the tip too much in limbwood causing blow outs of the tip, plus it looks rediculous.
John

I didn't have any problem pulling a 20" bar with my Shindaiwa 488 but I wasn't real crazy about the combination of a 20" bar with .325 chain. It was real easy to throw the chain off while limbing. I've since switched to a 16" bar and 20NK chain and I like it much better. The 488 isn't nearly as rpm happy as the 346XP which might mean the 488 has a little more low end which would probably help with a longer bars.:confused: Maybe?

I run an 18" bar on my 346's .325 chain. No complaints, do plan on strapping a 16" bar on to see what type of difference.
Someone is correct, definately can't lean on this saw in hardwood, keep the rev's up and she will rip.

mine wears a 16 inch bar and screams for what i got it for 16 inch bar is all I want but love the 346 xp

long bars on small saws usually have the operator using the tip too much in limbwood causing blow outs of the tip

Why would a long bar have the operator using the tip too much vs. a 16" bar on the same saw? Or would the operator be using the tip just as much with both lengths, but in the case of the 20" bar, there would be more force compared to the 16" bar when it kicks back if the nose is bumped?

Mine came with an 18" bar, and it was fine.
Never a man to let sleeping dogs lie, I got a 16" bar, and ran it with that.

PERFECT!!! :laugh:

I would recommend:

15 inch for 50cc.
16-18 inch on 60cc
18-24 inch on 70cc.

/Peter

I'm with most of these guys. Not more than 16" for regular use on a 50cc saw. I've got a 16" on a 60cc saw which I like even better.

Mark

Agree! ;)

I would recommend:

15 inch for 50cc.
16-18 inch on 60cc
18-24 inch on 70cc.

/Peter

Mostly agree with you also, but I would say 15-16" on the 50cc......

...and I wouldn't hesitate to put an 18" on the 5100S, in a pinch.......

Last edited:
Agree! ;)

Mostly agree with you also, but I would say 15-16" on the 50cc......

...and I wouldn't hesitate to put an 18" on the 5100S, in a pinch.......

16" would be ok on a 50cc also yes. But if you really need 18", I suppose you grab the 361 or 372 ?

Latest posts

Back