Best carry in saw for trail building?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top handle saws have their place and can be run safely on the ground, but I don't recommend them for many people any more. They do kick back more severely than a rear handle saw and come around a lot faster and harder than you expect it to.
Really from what I'm hearing he wants, a 170 would work just fine, look for them to be on sale again soon for $159ish again. The Dolmar 401 sounds interesting, almost bought one myself.
For around $250 you can get the 180, a little more power, a little better built, either with a 14" bar will work fine.
I can't recommend the 200 or T for this. Sure it's a great saw, but at $650 you should buy a saw that runs and doesn't have all the carb issues it's known for, and I think it's too much to spend on a saw that is going to get beat, banged and abused doing this type of work.
This kind of work, keep it as light, simple and cheap as you can IMO!

my apolgies, we don't have the rear handle version in the UK so I tend to refer to all 200ts as 200s!

UK law is confusing on the subject, but AFAIK it is not "illegal" to use a tophandle saw on the ground, or buy one without the climbing tickets. Stihl and Husky policy is not to sell to unlicensed, but for example my Efco dealer is quite prepared to sell me a top handle saw, even though I don't have tickets because Efco don't really mind. At least that's how I understand it..

cheers,
Joe
Joe...
Certainly NO apology necessary!!
And the rest of your post explains how different U.K is than U.S. Good info!!
On this side of "the pond"...throw down $600...you own a new MS200T...:wink2:
Bes2ya!!
:cheers:
J2F

Thank you all, for your comments!

Gentelman and mesdames;
I have 3 saws but am looking at another for trail clearing. I'll be cutting small logs (6-8" diameter) and branches. My lightest saw is a 357 xp but I'd like to get something a little smaller for the purpose that can fit in a carrybox and be packed in foot or horseback.
I was surprised to get so much good advice here - Thanks! I took into account the weight factor plus the fact that we come across larger windfalls across the trail on the island, particularly the advice from Zombie and the Shenendoah park boss about adding a handheld folding saw to the kit for the real light stuff. I put an offer onto an ebay rebuilt 49cc MS260 and it was accepted. Coming up from California. The saw is perhaps a little bigger than 1st anticipated, but I'm getting a short bar and low chain and intend to break it down into paniers to put on this Tennessee Walker,"Mr. Jester".
Also are some pictures of the other saws, so you know I'm open to trying a Stihl!
Best wishes to all,
Joe

Gentelman and mesdames;
I have 3 saws but am looking at another for trail clearing. I'll be cutting small logs (6-8" diameter) and branches. My lightest saw is a 357 xp but I'd like to get something a little smaller for the purpose that can fit in a carrybox and be packed in foot or horseback.
I was surprised to get so much good advice here - Thanks! I took into account the weight factor plus the fact that we come across larger windfalls across the trail on the island, particularly the advice from Zombie and the Shenendoah park boss about adding a handheld folding saw to the kit for the real light stuff. I put an offer onto an ebay rebuilt 49cc MS260 and it was accepted. Coming up from California. The saw is perhaps a little bigger than 1st anticipated, but I'm getting a short bar and low chain and intend to break it down into paniers to put on this Tennessee Walker,"Mr. Jester".
Also are some pictures of the other saws, so you know I'm open to trying a Stihl!
Best wishes to all,
Joe
So you back back a 2101?

The 211 would be a nice little saw to dedicate to trail cutting, depends on how much you need to do. I recommended the 200T because it would be valuable elsewhere as well.

Here's a few things that can help when packing a saw and walking in. I put some of my gear in a small backpack. Then I put a pad on the bar of my saw. I've got my gas and oil in jugs and they are roped together. I put the saw on my shoulder so the saw head is resting on the top of the backpack, and I put the rope over the bar so the jugs are suspended from the bar. Then I've got one hand free.

I put a pack on my dog, and he packs in a few things like water, wedges, files and chain. I don't load him up too heavy, he's already got arthritis.

Here's a picture of some of the stuff. We didn't have much to cut so I didn't take the gas and oil that day.

View attachment 189044

I put an offer onto an ebay rebuilt 49cc MS260 and it was accepted. Coming up from California. The saw is perhaps a little bigger than 1st anticipated, but I'm getting a short bar and low chain and intend to break it down into paniers to put on this Tennessee Walker,"Mr. Jester".
Best wishes to all,
Joe

I don't think you'll be at all disappointed in what the 260 brings to the table.

So get us some pics of some trail building -- if you have any room left for a camera after packing all the rest of your gear!

:cheers:

Poge

Slow,
I'm something of a dog whisperer, and I can read the mind of your beautiful Lab. He is saying, "please get this pink panier off of my back, and get the purple bar cover off of that chainsaw (I know, it's Barbie or Twinkles)."

what a cool pic!

is that an 026?

189044d1309445563-gear-packin-dog0001-jpg

For clearing tracks there's no better unit than a top-handle saw. The 200T, infinitely superior to any rear-handle setup, they're very light balanced agile and powerful. Can't beat them for their tiny compact size and their out-of-all-proportion power output. Ignore the claims of "danger" and "kickback" and all the other tiresome exaggerations, all that sort of thing is just clueless nonsense coming from those who have read all the manuals and rulebooks but who never actually ever run a TH saw in their lives :dizzy:

For clearing tracks there's no better unit than a top-handle saw. The 200T, infinitely superior to any rear-handle setup, they're very light balanced agile and powerful. Can't beat them for their tiny compact size and their out-of-all-proportion power output. Ignore the claims of "danger" and "kickback" and all the other tiresome exaggerations, all that sort of thing is just clueless nonsense coming from those who have read all the manuals and rulebooks but who never actually ever run a TH saw in their lives :dizzy:

It might help you to know a little bit about the people you are badmouthing! I've worn out a 192t and run a 200t enough I had to rebuild the carb twice. I've only recently had to sell the 200t as a broken back prevents me from climbing any more.
I HAVE experienced the exaggerated kick back from the 200t, on the ground and in the tree. I also personally know a guy that has a glass tear duct in his right eye, a 200t bit him. Laid his face wide open from the bottom of his eye to the top of his mouth. Six months of rehab and numerous surgeries later he looks half normal again.
I don't say this crap just to scare people, I say it because I know it's true and happens! If there seems to be any more problems than that, I'll gladly come and shove the owners manual up your ass!
Learn a little about the members of this site before you run your mouth too much, you might be amazed at what some of them do really know!

Latest posts

Back