Best General Boots for Woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello...I am looking for a new pair of boots to ware in the woods for general purposes...mostly working on my land...120 acres. Used to be you just went out and bought a pair of leather boots...but now there are many choices.

My use for these boots would be mostly summer or late spring or early fall...I do not think I want any insulation....or maybe just a small amount?

I am looking at combination boots with the camo material with strong rubber or leather protection around the sole area where much of the "abuse" happens. I do know when I get back in from working the boots do take quite a bit of "abuse".

One example is a Red Wing/Irish Setter 9" light weight with no insulation...I think it was "phantom" something. Looks to have good rubber lower area protection and combo uppers with the camo...also whatever their "water proof/resistant" feature is.

My property is quite "dry" so I am not trying to get a "mucker"...just a good working, light weight, water resistant boot.

Other ideas or comments? 9" OK? I do not plan on tree climbing. Just cutting/sawing/tree "farming" kind of stuff...may add a tractor to the process.

Thanks...Tom R

Tom ,I was wondering the same thing the other day, as I usually through on a older pair of ankle hi leather work boots . I was thinking of something with more protection from the chainsaw , sometimes when your cutting you can get pretty close to your feet and it takes a little bit of thought to take the time to move your feet out of the way , seems like it wouldn't take much to bump a boot with the chain !!! Baileys has good boots for the woods like Wesco and Hoffman but your looking at 250.00 to 400.00 a pair !! Whats everyone using out there ??

http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catid=48

I just started buying Belleville boots here recently. They are military boots and our forces use them. They are made in USA in bellville Illinois. I bought a pair for the first time 6 months ago for $130 and after putting them on I realized I have found the most comfortable boots I have ever wore. Ask for the ones with a vibram running shoe sole and they are literally like wearing tennis shoes with all the features of a boot. They are also gore tex lined. The only downfall I have found is that in a hurry it takes a minute to put them on correctly. I simply just slip them on when we get a firecall and figure I will be changing boots at the station anyway no need to lace em.

Up until finding these I was a redwing fan through and through. Then the last pair I ordered ($180) when they arrived at the store they had made in China on them. I refused the boots and told them I could get chinese boots at wally world for $30.

A factory I used to work at years ago required you to buy your boots through their catalog that had proper metatarsel protection! They would give you half the cost of the boots and I had to pay the other half. But the only thing in the catalog was chinese boots and they were damn proud of them. I would go through a pair every 4 months.

When buying redwings I went through 1 pair a year. But I wear a size 16 and have little options in shoe styles and variety so my boots are worn day in and day out. I usually have a new pair around for a backup. That new pair is the ones I wear when we go out to eat or something.

Boots

Hi, like sawkiller I WAS a red wing guy, but I got tired of them making more and more of their line overseas. Like sawkiller “I could get Cinese boots cheaper at wally world”. That’s only part of the reason; I like to keep my neighbors working even if they are half way across the country. I have probably owned a dozen pairs and they lasted 2 1/2 years as I got them resoled periodically, used them for my job, construction Plumber. Then I got on the Fire Dept. 12 years ago and still doing plumbing on the side and still used Red Wings.
Then one day, a guy I work with at the fire house was raving about Danner Boots. I checked them out and got a black pair for station wear, LOVE THEM. Well anyway a few weeks ago, and my last pair of Red Wings died and needed new boots for working construction and outside. I got a pair of Danner Santiam’s 400 mil of thinsulate 8” high, and really like them.
I would suggest looking at the Danner website http://www.danner.com look at the boots and if you find a pair you like you might want to ordwer them from these people. I have ordered both pairs from them and had good luck
http://www.endless.com/. Wish you the best of luck, and wear them in good health, Jake.

Hi, like sawkiller I WAS a red wing guy, but I got tired of them making more and more of their line overseas. Like sawkiller “I could get Cinese boots cheaper at wally world”. That’s only part of the reason; I like to keep my neighbors working even if they are half way across the country. I have probably owned a dozen pairs and they lasted 2 1/2 years as I got them resoled periodically, used them for my job, construction Plumber. Then I got on the Fire Dept. 12 years ago and still doing plumbing on the side and still used Red Wings.
Then one day, a guy I work with at the fire house was raving about Danner Boots. I checked them out and got a black pair for station wear, LOVE THEM. Well anyway a few weeks ago, and my last pair of Red Wings died and needed new boots for working construction and outside. I got a pair of Danner Santiam’s 400 mil of thinsulate 8” high, and really like them.
I would suggest looking at the Danner website http://www.danner.com look at the boots and if you find a pair you like you might want to ordwer them from these people. I have ordered both pairs from them and had good luck
http://www.endless.com/. Wish you the best of luck, and wear them in good health, Jake.

Howdy Jake, also a plumber here and I am trying to get the Full Time fire fighter job but I am pretty sure you have to know the double top secret code to get in around here!LOL

I wear the Red wing boots for work, it is hard to find a black steel toe boot that is unlined these days. I have switched to Carolina's for my outdoor boots. I have a pair of steel toe insulated and uninsulated logger style, they seem to be wearing really good and the stitching seems to be holding up really well.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Beefie

I buy the cheap ones as long as they are leather, steel toe and goretex for water resistance. Low to no insulation. If wool socks on top of poly sock liners are not enough, it's too cold for me anyway. By cheap I mean $100-150. I ordered a Westco sizing kit but couldn't make myself pull the trigger. Timberland or Wolverine it is.

Ian

The best boots? Ones that are comfortable--fit well. There's umpteen million kinds. Just try them on, ask a few questions if the seller knows anything about them, and buy the pair that fits and meets your needs.

If you want more information than this, theres a gazillion posts about boots on the Forestry and Logging site and I'm sure the same on the chainsaw site, and...

:agree2:

Whatever my feet like is what I wear.

I've had Redwings and more expensive boots and also cheapo army-navy store boots made only heaven knows where.

I started wearing Georgia Boot steel toes about 5 years ago. They're comfortable enough for me and the price is pretty good. Add in a TSC online discount or mail coupon and the price is even better.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/mens-s...proof-steel-toe-leather-safety-boot-734146599

I switch to Bogs steel toe ranchers when snow is on the ground.

The Danner boots are comfy but a lot of them are made overseas now too.
The white boots and nicks boots are made just down the road and are comfy once you break them in. You can also get them rebuilt if needed but they aren't cheap. The last few years I've bee wearing Cabelas outfitter boots, been happy with them.

boots

White’s and Wesco’s are no doubt ably excellent boots, I’m guessing, never fortunate enough to own a pair. But with my trade, I would ruin the tops way before wearing out the sole. Danner’s seem to fit the bill.

minibelf7_affaire.jpg

I have always had good luck with Georgia boots. I had 4 years on a pair of Georgia loggers before the soles started to fall off. I would have them resoled, but they have a few places they have been hit by the saw and the steel toes are showing through the leather. I just bought a new pair of Georgia low heel loggers and hopefully they will hold up as good as the originals.

I ruined so many pairs of good boots that now I buy the inexpensive waterproof Brama boots from Walmat.

Year there's trade off's but I'd rather get 3 pr of boots I can rotate instead of 1...that way I got a nice pair for church and walking around the mall pair too.

Occasionally you have to rejuvenate 'em with sno-seal.

I need to start doing research on this too.

I used to always get the $50 Timberland boots from Wallmart, but I would only get 6 months, 8 maximum out of them. Then I went with Redwing and can get 3 years out of them. 3 always seemed to be the lucky number with them. I have a few more months on my work pair right now, I should get a new pair before winter.

But, my pair of Redwings I got for working around the house (same model as my workboots) had a Made In China tag on them. We will see how they hold up, but I am way harder on my work boots.

I do buy stuff made in China because it is cheap stuff. But when it comes to my tools, boots and anything that has a motor in it, it has to be Made in USA

Lots of good input. I think I will try either a pair of Danner or Red Wing. Lighter boots w/o insulation (or maybe just a bit) and water resistant. The full leather boots are likely heavier and at this point I would prefer a lighter boot. Thanks...Tom R

Fan of Belleville myself. I have 3 pair from the military. Two are gore tex lined, one pair has "boot socks" for insulation. Third pair are are for summer duty no insulation/no goretex.

I really like my hoffman's, so much I have 3 pair now. Used to wear wesco, but can't belly up to the price tag anymore...

I need boots,I'm just about to walk out of the ones i have.Lace ups are too slow and catch too many chips.
Any sugjestions on pull ons peferably stockman style?

Back