Best gloves for longevity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kuhn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I burn 3-4 cords of wood per year to heat our house here in Wisconsin, and due to the where I dry and store the wood, it gets moved a couple of times. I know it's not the most efficient way to do things, but I'm okay with it because it gives me some exercise in the winter that I otherwise wouldn't get.
My question pertains to gloves. Seems like I wear out a pair of leather gloves every year. Usually buy plain (smooth) cowhide ones from the hardware store ($15 for the last pair). The fingertips just don't last very long from clasping the rough wood. Maybe this is normal, but I thought maybe somebody knows of a source for something like Kevlar-tipped gloves, or some other solution? No big deal, just a crazy question!

We handle alot of wood in a firewood business, as long as it is dry you can't beat the cheapie white string knit gloves they sell for approx 6.50 a doz at most farm/feed stores. I think Bailey's a site sponsor sells them as well. They'll out perform 75% of the leather gloves on the market today. We love them for handling wood and sawing.

here's a shocker... i went to Menard's to buy some gloves... i suffer from same ordeal so i wanted to try something new.i used mainly mechanics gloves before cutting but they wore out quickly. i bought some boss frosty grip gloves,they look horrible from appearance but they are warm and they keep your hands dry from snow and good grip and still have good dexterity,i never expected them to hold up good cutting wood... in the summer i will go back to using leather gloves again but these work good for winter... just some fyi...

I quit paying for the good heavy leather gloves a couple years ago. Got tired of seeing holes in them after just a couple days. Went to buying the rubber front/knit back gloves from Harbor Freight. They have them on sale for $1.49 and I can usually get several firewooding days out of a pair. They have good grip on them and I don't really need the heavy gloves for warmth when I'm out cutting or splitting.

Don't have a recommendation of better gloves but you're paying waaay too much for the ones you have. Look online, you can pick up nice cowhide gloves for around $3. Shipping is the kick in the balls but if you buy a bunch, it's the way to go

I use the cheapo rubber dipped front, knit back gloves $1 and change each if you buy them by the dozen.
One of the members here swears by welders gloves( sorry don't remember who-search maybe?). I bought a cheap HF set just to see if thay might work. I'll also gorilla tape the finger tips for a few extra splits when I'm feelin real cheap. Have had no satisfaction with any other "performance" gloves. I tried Bailey's kevlar ones for about $5 they lasted a little longer because you can use both sides of the glove but they really weren't comfortable.

I agree with aanabooks, I buy those rubber coated glove from HF and I love them. Comfortable, cheap and great grip. Plus comes in 3 or 4 sizes to fit the whole family.

Roger

The HF rubber coated gloves are good gloves for the price. HF also has leather gloves 5 pair for 6.50.They work good for fighting the thorns when cutting hedge.

I think Atlas makes some of the best rubber coated gloves. They last a long time and are very comfortable. The therma fit are thicker and warmer for winter. The Re-grips are not as thick and better for warmer weather. I have been using the same pair for about 2 months. I have cut about 5 cords of wood, split another 4 cords and sold 8 cords. They still have not wore though.

I use Kinco Heat Keep knit wrist pigskin gloves. Working on my second year with the same pair. I usually get them at Vanderbilts.

Gloves and more gloves

I've tried using expensive leather gloves, mechanics gloves, and various brands of combo leather and cloth. The conclusion I've reached is that no matter what quality glove you use for firewood, the fingers and thumbs will wear out in a few days. I like the HF leather front, cloth back style and can usually get them for about a buck a pair. HF sells several other varieties, but the gray cloth seem to last the longest. I've quit buying the yellow cloth, black leather type because I've had several individual gloves with really poor stitching that didn't last at all. One thing I've noticed is that if you get the gloves damp and use them on dry firewood, the leather will sometimes (not always) burnish and harden on the work surfaces and I've had a couple of these last several weeks. They are a little less flexible but the tradeoff is worth it. So if you can find a consistent way to burnish the leather, you might get a lot more use out of a pair.

I've found the latex dipped cotton gloves hold up just as good as any of the leather gloves I've used. You can get 'em for about $10/dozen around here.

Steve

White Mule Gloves made by Wells Lamont

I can two years use out of a pair of White Mule leather gloves made by Wells Lamont U.S. made and about a month out of a pair of Boss leather gloves made in China. Three things that the Chinese cannot make is ball bearings,light bulbs and leather gloves. Don't even think about a Chinese chainsaw, they are hard to start.

here's a shocker... i went to Menard's to buy some gloves... i suffer from same ordeal so i wanted to try something new.i used mainly mechanics gloves before cutting but they wore out quickly. i bought some boss frosty grip gloves,they look horrible from appearance but they are warm and they keep your hands dry from snow and good grip and still have good dexterity,i never expected them to hold up good cutting wood... in the summer i will go back to using leather gloves again but these work good for winter... just some fyi...

Yup, Frosty Grips are da bomb!

Here's a thread I started on em last winter, with an update from today:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/118251.htm

Those finger condoms do wear well...gotta admit.

I hate 'em though. Hands get cold and wet in them, and the feel of 'em is just creepy.

Besides, with prices like these and made in good 'ol OOOSA(USA) it dosn't cost much to run pigskin.Deprecated Browser Error

Got a batch of the Tig gloves as rejects(CHEEEEAAAPP!!) and they have held up good and long so far.
Getting near the end though. Might have to break out another pair.:D

Still like the Kinco cold weather gloves for really cold stuff.
Cheapo gloves shouldn't work that well.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Gloves? Gloves? Gloves?

:jester:Who uses gloves? I thought we was all men" LOL! I use the old grey leather things you buy at TSC in the summer, a pair of brown jersey under them in the winter. I spend about 20$ a year on gloves.

The HF rubber coated gloves are good gloves for the price. HF also has leather gloves 5 pair for 6.50.They work good for fighting the thorns when cutting hedge.

I think Atlas makes some of the best rubber coated gloves. They last a long time and are very comfortable. The therma fit are thicker and warmer for winter. The Re-grips are not as thick and better for warmer weather. I have been using the same pair for about 2 months. I have cut about 5 cords of wood, split another 4 cords and sold 8 cords. They still have not wore though.

I second the Atlas Therma Fit gloves. I handle about 20 cords a year between friends, family, and my needs. I just wore out my first pair of Atlas gloves after a year. The Boss gloves are nice too, they seem a little thicker.

The HF gloves I notice that the rubber tends to disintegrate after a few wearings and after they get wet. The Atlas gloves seem to hold up better. I actually wore through the tips of the fingers and the rubber didn't start pulling away from the fabric of the glove.

Some form of knit glove with rubber coated palms and fingers seems to me the way to go.

I bought 2 dozen pairs of the Atlas Thermafit gloves from Amazon. A dozen for me and a dozen for my dad. They worked out to be lees than $3 a pair that way. I can definitely say that I got more than three times the use out of them compared to the yellow HF gloves.

I use Wells Lamont leather gloves, Costco had 3 pr. in a pack for $20 just before Christmas, otherwise i get them from Wally World.

Back