Best Mini Skid Steer for tree work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ramrod is pretty grimy in the picture as the previous owner had just used it that day on a project and had not yet cleaned it up before taking the pic. Paint is actually pretty decent under all the dirt. Machine will be cleaned up prior to sale.

ramrod is pretty grimy in the picture as the previous owner had just used it that day on a project and had not yet cleaned it up before taking the pic. Paint is actually pretty decent under all the dirt. Machine will be cleaned up prior to sale.

ramrod and attachments are sold.

Upon selling my ditch witch sk650, I took in trade a 2003 bobcat mt-50 with 954 hours. Pretty much identical to the mt-50 I sold to blakesmaster out in NY. If anyone has any questions about how good/bad/other that machine is, Chris can probably give his two cents on it. Tracks are good, machine is tight. runs good. Paint is fair to average. It had a loose linkage in one of the steering levers so I'm having that fixed. Comes with bucket. Has a kubota diesel engine btw. Asking $7500 obo.

Having problems attaching a picture so PM me or call me and I'll email or text some to you if interested.

I also have a bobcat LT112 trencher and an auger that I could sell seperately or as a package.

scott - AP
605-228-9350

So I hear you're starting a used mini skid dealership? BTW The SK500 is working nicely, just gotta get those governor rods replaced with the right ones and we'll be supergolden.

So I hear you're starting a used mini skid dealership? BTW The SK500 is working nicely, just gotta get those governor rods replaced with the right ones and we'll be supergolden.

MT 50 is a tank compared to Dingo we have and had at same time. Sold it for $4k with less hours than that w/ bucket. I believe it was an 03 also. Never took it on lawns but was useful in lot for moving wood around with BMG grapple.

MT 50 is a tank compared to Dingo we have and had at same time. Sold it for $4k with less hours than that w/ bucket. I believe it was an 03 also. Never took it on lawns but was useful in lot for moving wood around with BMG grapple.

If your dingo was the 420, I can see why it only sold for less than the asking price of my bobcat. However, at $4k, unless it was complete junk, you sold it about $2k too cheap! Guaranteed I could get $6000 for 420 in good shape around here. Maybe the economy's still sour where you're at.

There's no comparison to that machine and a mt50. Yes, the mt50 is heavier but that's because it's not made of plastic like the 420. I was just really unimpressed with the 420 I owned. A 425 is a lot better. I might compare that machine to a mt50 but definitely not the 420.

MT50 is certainly not the best mini skid out there. If someone has $20k lying around, they should buy a sk650. If they only have $7k, then a bobcat mt50, dingo 425 or ditch witch 500 would all be good starter machines.

The idea has crossed my mind, Mike but, no such plans in the near future. I picked the ramrod up as a package deal on a grinder down in Florida. I finally found a 35hp self-propelled rayco sjr down there and the ramrod and attachments came along for the ride along with an older but good-running vermeer 252 that I have for sale. The bobcat mt50 was a trade from a guy in denver who bought my new sk650. :msp_sad: Really hated to sell that machine but now I have the materials for my new shop paid for.

Seems like whenever I sell a mini skid, I end up taking one back in trade. Never have too much trouble reselling the trade-in though as folks like you are always looking for a good start-up machine for under $10k. I could have sold that sk500 a couple dozen times and have had at least a dozen calls on the ramrod. The bobcat will sell too - it'll be gone by the end of March I suspect.

AP

If your dingo was the 420, I can see why it only sold for less than the asking price of my bobcat. However, at $4k, unless it was complete junk, you sold it about $2k too cheap! Guaranteed I could get $6000 for 420 in good shape around here. Maybe the economy's still sour where you're at.

There's no comparison to that machine and a mt50. Yes, the mt50 is heavier but that's because it's not made of plastic like the 420. I was just really unimpressed with the 420 I owned. A 425 is a lot better. I might compare that machine to a mt50 but definitely not the 420.

MT50 is certainly not the best mini skid out there. If someone has $20k lying around, they should buy a sk650. If they only have $7k, then a bobcat mt50, dingo 425 or ditch witch 500 would all be good starter machines.

Got a nearly new 525 TX Dingo (2 years old bought brand new with grapple, etc). We had the rag MT 50 for about 6 months, about 5 months longer than we could stand it lol. Your tank machine is WAY overpriced.

Dingo is the best machine, pound for pound on the market for the buck.

Got a nearly new 525 TX Dingo (2 years old bought brand new with grapple, etc). We had the rag MT 50 for about 6 months, about 5 months longer than we could stand it lol. Your tank machine is WAY overpriced.

Dingo is the best machine, pound for pound on the market for the buck.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge argument here. They all borrow engineering off of the other. Good and bad things about each. Dingo 525 is a very nice machine but your opinion of best machine out there and mine are significantly different. :msp_rolleyes: The MT50 may not be my all time favorite mini skid but certainly not a POS as you insist. You must have owned a lemon.

Everyone on this forum has an opinion. Personally, I'd rather debate the good, bad and ugly about minis without the vague bashing of what one doesn't like or doesn't agree with. Where does that get anyone other than an argument? If you feel the need to contribute here, then let's have some specific details about what you liked or disliked about the bobcat and why - not just negative slurs and generalities.

AP

One more thing - you have no right to insist that my machine is overpriced. I've sold similar used minis - both gas and diesel - for that amount and think I know a thing or two about their resale value. This is a matter of your opinion vs mine on value. If you feel the need to offer advice, let's debate the details - the good and bad of each model. Value, however, is something each AS member is smart enough to decide on his own once he has all the information...

Blakesmaster, did I sell you an overpriced POS MT50?
Limbwalker54, did I sell you an overpriced POS Sk500?
PatriotTree, did I sell you an overpriced POS sk650?
Anybody else buy overpriced POS equipment from me?

AP

Last edited:
One more thing - you have no right to insist that my machine is overpriced. I've sold similar used minis - both gas and diesel - for that amount and think I know a thing or two about their resale value. This is a matter of your opinion vs mine on value. If you feel the need to offer advice, let's debate the details - the good and bad of each model. Value, however, is something each AS member is smart enough to decide on his own once he has all the information...

AP

Nope. My only gripe with that machine has to do with my local Bobcat dealer.

AP

POS were your words, not mine. I think mine were rag and tank. I owned the very same year machine and model. I traded it for a truck for a back up machine and priced it then and priced it when I sold it 6 months later ....bout a year or more ago. Found many priced a little over and under $4k then and should be less now. You got a 9 year old machine there with a thousand hours on it.

Very non user friendly controls, very heavy and non agile. Very noisy and clangy. Awkward, non smooth in operation, hard on turf, bulky, ....what else? Probably due for a new motor and tracks by now too?

Another choice would be to take the $7k they might mistakenly pay you for it and put it as a down payment on a much more refined machine and make payments.

Would also eliminate their misfortune at having to sell this dinosaur when they try another machine and realize the mistake they made. They WILL take a beating on the resale if they buy it at this price.

This is an open forum and meant for opinions...this is my opinion...hopefully it saves another arborist some headaches.

Aren't you supposed to be in the Heavy Equipment section of this forum, not the Experienced Climber section of the forum? Seen you do the same thing on TBuzz. Shouldn't you pay a sponsor fee like the others on the banner?

Let me first start by saying I respect and value mr. treevet's opinions very much. I like his setup and respect his knowledge. :rock:

Just wanted to clarify that the machine I bought, the SK500, has only 600 hours on the engine, and 1300 on the machine. Got it for 7 with the grapple, and have seen many that were beat to absolute shiznit that were priced higher....

It works very nicely, with the exception of two missing governor rods that were not installed by whoever put the engine in. Thus the governor doesn't govern.....but that will change in about a week when I have time to install the new ones :)

The grapple works great, the tracks are decent, hood is a little f'ed up.

I am happy with the price I paid and I think it was a fair shake. Can't wait to get a BMG for it. I tend to keep my machinery for a long time, as I have said before, 1972 International Loadstar 1700 with 5 ton knuckleboom still going strong :)

Have had the opportunity to use my SK650 on just 2 jobs so far (plus moving a bunch of logs in yard at home).
The (used) 48" demo grapple bucket does the job, but is too heavy, even empty. I added about 150 lb of steel to the platform as a counterwieght to compensate, and it helps, but at the expense of making the overall machine weight that much heavier. Will look at other options in summer after getting bills and Taxes paid up.

On soft ground - an the ground is awful soft right now, the narrow tracks are rototillers. Going to have to invest in wider tracks and mega sheets of plywood. There ain't no way I can possibly go on a customer's lawn.

Have had the opportunity to use my SK650 on just 2 jobs so far (plus moving a bunch of logs in yard at home).
The (used) 48" demo grapple bucket does the job, but is too heavy, even empty. I added about 150 lb of steel to the platform as a counterwieght to compensate, and it helps, but at the expense of making the overall machine weight that much heavier. Will look at other options in summer after getting bills and Taxes paid up.

On soft ground - an the ground is awful soft right now, the narrow tracks are rototillers. Going to have to invest in wider tracks and mega sheets of plywood. There ain't no way I can possibly go on a customer's lawn.

sent you a pm. If we could figure out a reasonable way (cost) to swap tracks, I would take your narrow tracks for my wide tracks.

AP

POS were your words, not mine. I think mine were rag and tank. I owned the very same year machine and model. I traded it for a truck for a back up machine and priced it then and priced it when I sold it 6 months later ....bout a year or more ago. Found many priced a little over and under $4k then and should be less now. You got a 9 year old machine there with a thousand hours on it.

Very non user friendly controls, very heavy and non agile. Very noisy and clangy. Awkward, non smooth in operation, hard on turf, bulky, ....what else? Probably due for a new motor and tracks by now too?

Another choice would be to take the $7k they might mistakenly pay you for it and put it as a down payment on a much more refined machine and make payments.

Would also eliminate their misfortune at having to sell this dinosaur when they try another machine and realize the mistake they made. They WILL take a beating on the resale if they buy it at this price.

This is an open forum and meant for opinions...this is my opinion...hopefully it saves another arborist some headaches.

Aren't you supposed to be in the Heavy Equipment section of this forum, not the Experienced Climber section of the forum? Seen you do the same thing on TBuzz. Shouldn't you pay a sponsor fee like the others on the banner?

i sold a bobcat that i just didn't use anymore still got one left. but one sat for almost a year so it was time to go wasn't making any money. was thinking about picking up a mini to stick in the back of the chipper. would you say yours is turf friendly? and how much can it lift and still be stable?

With no platform it will lift about 800. The bobcat platform is a joke. The forkster platform is decent or you can build one easy enough. Then your weight becomes counterweight to lift more. This mt50 is fine on grass but I always take wide turns just like I would with a big skidsteer.

Back