Best modded 50cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innovative

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new 50cc saw and was wondering what saw in your opinions takes to mods the best. Not trying to star any brand wars here but looking for advice from anybody who has modded a 50cc class saw. I don't have much porting experience but do have a full machine shop at my disposal. I am a moldmaker by day and a wanna be chainsaw builder at night. Any advice is appreciated.

Start cheap! The first saw I modded was an old edition 346xp, I never could get it to run right, even before modding and after much frustration I got drunk and tore into my Husky 350. It runs like a striped ass ape so I sold the 346!
Seriously, find a used half trashed saw, all the information you need is on this site, and more, just research a bit, then open it up. You don't need a machine shop, a dremel or a foredom are great starting points unil you want to build racing saws. But first and foremost just have some fun with it and see what works and doesn't, then figure out why.
I personaly think the Huskies are easier to take apart and work on, but if you get a cheap 026 go for it! The Dolmars, unless burnt up, are going to be costly because they are so new to the market. The Echo's are just a flat out PITA to work on, but thats my honest opinion.

I just tried to take two Dolmar 112's and make one good one. One had bad crank bearings and the other a bad top end. I figured make one good saw out of the two seens how I have 10 saws and not a single reliable one. I figured while I was at it I would read up here and try my hand at a little porting. I took and milled the cylinder to give me .020 squish, widened the exhaust port, took the casting bumps out of the intake port for the carb bolts, and opened up the muffler. When I got it together I could only get my hands on 87 octane gas so I mixed up a fresh batch. I was not impressed when I put it in some cherry, but then again I didn't't expect much. This is my first go around at this. Does anybody think I would see much difference in performance when I get some 92 octane in it?

I don't really care, but from what I have read here and on others sites, it probably is the old 45cc 346xp. :popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

One modder once said that he got even more out of the 353, but it needed a lot more work to do it (he isn't active by now, as far as I know).

Last edited:
I don't really care, but from what I have read here and on others sites, it probably is the old 45cc 346xp. :popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

Why the older 45cc saw over the newer one? I am new to this so go easy on me, and I am always open to advice from others with more experience than me.

The most impressive 50cc's that I've seen on here is Brad's 026-260 not sure which it is but it is bad azz!

I just tried to take two Dolmar 112's and make one good one. One had bad crank bearings and the other a bad top end. I figured make one good saw out of the two seens how I have 10 saws and not a single reliable one. I figured while I was at it I would read up here and try my hand at a little porting. I took and milled the cylinder to give me .020 squish, widened the exhaust port, took the casting bumps out of the intake port for the carb bolts, and opened up the muffler. When I got it together I could only get my hands on 87 octane gas so I mixed up a fresh batch. I was not impressed when I put it in some cherry, but then again I didn't't expect much. This is my first go around at this. Does anybody think I would see much difference in performance when I get some 92 octane in it?

Here is where you went wrong, you lowered the jug, but didn't accomodate for the port timing changes when you did this. Yes you have more compresion, but the intake and exhaust ports are out of wack.
Those are supposed to be pretty screaming saws, so it shouldn't take much to make it happier. Read a little more, you are learning.

Here is where you went wrong, you lowered the jug, but didn't accomodate for the port timing changes when you did this. Yes you have more compresion, but the intake and exhaust ports are out of wack.
Those are supposed to be pretty screaming saws, so it shouldn't take much to make it happier. Read a little more, you are learning.

You are right I am learning here and open to all advice. That has always been my attitude towards everything. My squish when I checked it with no gasket was at .025 and I milled .005 off of it to bring it down to .020. Is there anything I can do to make this thing run any better?

Why the older 45cc saw over the newer one? I am new to this so go easy on me, and I am always open to advice from others with more experience than me.

I just pass on what I have learned - I am no expert on modded saws, and never said I was.....:popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

My saws is a MS260.

Are you looking for a go fast toy, or a fast saw to work with?

I've done similiar work to both my 260 and 346. I just recently did some more work to my 346, but before that, the 260 was measurably faster. I haven't compared them since the latest work to the 346. If you just want a fast saw to play with and like to tinker, go with the 260. Making if fast means custom work to the carb box in order to fit a 038 intake elbow, bolting up a 044 carb, and figuring out a choke setup for it.

If you're going to use it for work, go with the NE 346XP, all the way. It handles so nice! Throttle response is explosive and instant. It's faster than a stock 361 in 12" hardwood. My BIL was running it today and says it's faster than a MS460 in smaller wood. I didn't time it, but I have no trouble believing that. He was running around burying all 16" of the bar when there was a MS460, 372XP, and 390XPG laying there to run. He was just that impressed with the 346. It's running a 357XP carb, which is a direct bolton along with the 357 intake. Add a good port job and muffler mod and you've got yourself one little monster of a saw.

If I had to pick one, it would be the 346XP.

I just pass on what I have learned - I am no expert on modded saws, and never said I was.....:popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

Just wondering. I thought I read that the newer 46's were around 50cc's and was just wondering why the older vs. the newer saws?

Have I mentioned that this site is awesome. I am very impressed with all of the knowledge on this site!

You are right I am learning here and open to all advice. That has always been my attitude towards everything. My squish when I checked it with no gasket was at .025 and I milled .005 off of it to bring it down to .020. Is there anything I can do to make this thing run any better?

It's date in the lay and been a while, you need to lower the intake and raise the exhaust, or vice versa sorry I've forgotten now. Do a little searching it's all on this site somewhere. If it rains tomorow, like I think it will I'll look up a few helpfull threads to get you going in the right direction.

My saws is a MS260.

I've done similiar work to both my 260 and 346. I just recently did some more work to my 346, but before that, the 260 was measurably faster. I haven't compared them since the latest work to the 346. If you just want a fast saw to play with and like to tinker, go with the 260. Making if fast means custom work to the carb box in order to fit a 038 intake elbow, bolting up a 044 carb, and figuring out a choke setup for it.

If you're going to use it for work, go with the NE 346XP, all the way. It handles so nice! Throttle response is explosive and instant. It's faster than a stock 361 in 12" hardwood. My BIL was running it today and says it's faster than a MS460 in smaller wood. I didn't time it, but I have no trouble believing that. He was running around burying all 16" of the bar when there was a MS460, 372XP, and 390XPG laying there to run. He was just that impressed with the 346. It's running a 357XP carb, which is a direct bolton along with the 357 intake. Add a good port job and muffler mod and you've got yourself one little monster of a saw.

Well lets see the shootout between your 2 saws Brad.:chainsaw:

My saws is a MS260.

I wan't something for work but I also like to tinker. I always seem to go for the fastest/ best in my opinion. I have a 028wb and have run my brothers 346xp and I can tell you that I like the feel of the 346 better. It just seems to fit better when I am out there cutting and that is a big decision factor. So it sounds like I might need to keep my eyes open for a good 346xp?

I'm sorry Troll, but this is one time the 260 takes the cake. It is screaming fast with the right mods. My saw is only a worksaw on a muffler and turns over 17K. And this saw doesn't have the exhaust raised way up to get it there. It's got the torque to go with the Rs. Same with the 346, but I don't think I've gotten it up to the level of the 260 yet. But...I wouldn't trade my 346 for a 260. The 346 is just that much of a better handling saw. And trust me, it's no slouch. Especially after doing a little more work to the transfers and throwing in a new piston. I really do need to put them head to head again.

Latest posts

Back